Collective bargaining at itsfinest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Some of these are indefensible.

Calling in sick and getting overtime?

Remember those teachers taking their students out of class to protest? Now I know why they like collective bargaining.

I love this one.

CARPE DIEM: Collective Bargaining Abuse Examples in Wisconsin

Guess what people, teachers might not be the problem, but their union is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Late2TheParty

Late2TheParty Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I heard from "Waiting For Superman" documentary, that tenure is indeed a major factor in killing quality in our public schools.

3. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You know, I have no problem with any of this, as far as the workers go. If the employer has agreed to such terms, then that's on the employer, plain and simple. If I sit down at the table with you and work out a business deal that ends up being foolish for me, then that is my fault for being foolish in my business deals. Same thing applies.

4. Late2TheParty

Late2TheParty Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    But with collective bargaining with public workers, the ones opposing them on the bargaining table are often the very same people who promised them the most on the campaign trail.

This is why even FDR opposed collective bargaining for Public sector workers.

5. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    I have to agree with gekaap here. It isn't illegal to sign a contract that is completely in favor of the other party.

That said, this is glaring evidence that Walker is doing the right thing, and whoever DID enter into that agreement is serving the People better by being out of office.

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You have no problem with the fact that your community cannot afford to pay for basic services because some idiot in the past gave unions a sweetheart deal? My advice to you is not to expect anyone to fill potholes around you house because you think it is more important to pay a teacher two pensions than fill holes.

7. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Then that is an issue to be dealt with via the democratic voting process. No need for people to throw a bitch fit about it.

8. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I don't agree with Gekaap 99% of the time but this one time he is right on target.

9. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You're trying to twist the situation, and my words. Do I like my government to make bad business deals? Of course not. But I'm not throwing a bitch fit like so many people have been lately, and having wet dreams about states that don't concern me destroying unions, etc.

What I said is that there is no reason to complain about the employees taking these deals. And there is no reason to complain about any person laboring to exact for themselves the best deal they can. That is called business. It's the American way. If you think the deal was a mistake, fine. But once the deal has been made, nobody has a right to take it back just because they don't want to honor it anymore. If you and I sit down to the table to do business, and I agree to give you a certain amount of money for a certain service in return, then I'm obligated to pay. I might later on decide that it was foolish of me, but I'm already obligated. If the agreement does not make allowances for how I can unilaterally end the relationship, then that is my fault for not having protected myself. Nobody to blame but me.

10. JFK_USA

JFK_USA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    I agree with Mini and gekaap, their are two sides. The NFL owners bitched about the last CBA begin too player friendly. Well why the hell did you agree with it? Its called BARGAINING for a reason. If you can't bargain, get out of the game. Don't be a sore loser and take your ball home because you lost. Suck it up like a man and take it.