Collecting Disability Becomes A Career Choice For Men

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Collecting Disability Becomes A Career Choice For Men​

By Michael Barone
11/30/2012

Americans are very generous to people with disabilities. Since passage of the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990, millions of public and private dollars have been spent on curb cuts, bus lifts and special elevators.

The idea has been to enable people with disabilities to live and work with the same ease as others, as they make their way forward in life. I feel sure the large majority of Americans are pleased that we are doing this.

But there is another federal program for people with disabilities that has had an unhappier effect. This is the disability insurance (DI) program, which is part of Social Security.

The idea is to provide income for those whose health makes them unable to work. For many years, it was a small and inexpensive program that few people or politicians paid much attention to.

In his recent book, "A Nation of Takers: America"s Entitlement Epidemic," my American Enterprise Institute colleague Nicholas Eberstadt has shown how DI has grown in recent years.

In 1960, some 455,000 workers were receiving disability payments. In 2011, the number was 8,600,000. In 1960, the percentage of the economically active 18-to-64 population receiving disability benefits was 0.65%. In 2010, it was 5.6%.

Some four decades ago, when I was a law clerk to a federal judge, I had occasion to read briefs in cases appealing denial of disability benefits. The Social Security Administration then seemed pretty strict in denying benefits in dubious cases. The courts were not much more openhanded.

Things have changed. Americans have grown healthier, and significantly lower numbers die before 65 than was the case a half-century ago. Nevertheless, the disability rolls have ballooned.

One reason is that the government seems to have gotten more openhanded with those claiming vague ailments. Eberstadt points out that in 1960, only one-fifth of disability benefits went to those with "mood disorders" and "musculoskeletal" problems. In 2011, nearly half of those on disability voiced such complaints.

It's A Job

"It is exceptionally difficult — for all practical purposes, impossible," writes Eberstadt, "for a medical professional to disprove a patient's claim that he or she is suffering from sad feelings or back pain."

In other words, many people are gaming or defrauding the system. This includes not only disability recipients but health care professionals, lawyers and others who run ads promising to get you disability benefits.

Between 1996 and 2011, the private sector generated 8.8 million new jobs, and 4.1 million people entered the disability rolls.

[excerpt]

Read More:
Collecting Disability Payments Has Become A Career Choice For Men - Investors.com

I've read about this scam. People claim "back pain" and get disability for life, because back pain can't be disproven.

What do I suggest? Hire a private investigator.

Fill a huge glass jug with $100 bills and lots of change. Enough to make it weigh 30-45 pounds. Set it on the sidewalk in front of a "disabled" persons house.

Wait with a camera.

When they come out, and lift that jug of money up and take it inside their homes.....BAM! They're healed, they can work. Turn that video in to the disability office, and get 'em off the payments. Put them to work.

Easy fix.

HOWEVER.........I'll argue this.

Even a person with back pain can answer a phone. Can we not train them to work customer service on phones? Doing stuff like answering questions for companies like Comcast, Verizon, Sirius, and other major companies that have many jobs sitting down and answering phone questions?

OH NO....we cant. All those jobs are in India now.

Here we go again.

For those of you who think it's just SOOOOO easy to con SS into giving you disability, I challenge you right now: Go ahead and do it. See how far you get. File a claim, then keep us updated as you go through the system.

Last edited:
Here we go again.

For those of you who think it's just SOOOOO easy to con SS into giving you disability, I challenge you right now: Go ahead and do it. See how far you get. File a claim, then keep us updated as you go through the system.

Old Guy, did you notice that no right winger ever goes after the attorneys? You know, the attorneys that run the TV adds asking if you have been denied your SSDI claim to "call us".

Or the doctors that the attorneys figure out are "helpful" to their clients?

And of course, most right wing whack jobs on here claim that poor people are stupid, but they are smart enough to figure out a very complicated claims and appeals process. Yea right.

Stop the attorneys from working/gaming the system. They take a case based on a percentage of back money that they think will be paid. And for the thousands of dollars an attorney will make, they will work that claim very hard. Even after the claimant has been denied repeatedly, the attorney will not give it up. More doctors more doctors more appeals more appeals.

Bull shit. There has to be a better way.

Here we go again.

Old Guy, did you notice that no right winger ever goes after the attorneys? You know, the attorneys that run the TV adds asking if you have been denied your SSDI claim to "call us".

And of course, most right wing whack jobs on here claim that poor people are stupid, but they are smart enough to figure out a very complicated claims and appeals process. Yea right.

Stop the attorneys from working/gaming the system. They take a case based on a percentage of back money that they think will be paid. And for the thousands of dollars an attorney will make, they will work that claim very hard. Even after the claimant has been denied repeatedly, the attorney will not give it up. More doctors more doctors more appeals more appeals.

what does a right winger have to do with the article.?
and how do you know not one has called for all that?
you can't be non partisan ever can you

Last edited:
Here we go again.

Ah the original OP did mention the parasitic lawyers. And tort reform has always been a plank of the RNC, not so much the DNC. So I think you may have things backwards.

Here we go again.

Ah the original OP did mention the parasitic lawyers. And tort reform has always been a plank of the RNC, not so much the DNC. So I think you may have things backwards.

What legislation is being proposed by rethugs to reign in the attorneys who work the claims process for SSDI?

What legislation is being proposed by rethugs to reign in the attorneys who work the claims process for SSDI?

I guess you've been living in a cave

I've read about this scam. People claim "back pain" and get disability for life, because back pain can't be disproven.

What do I suggest? Hire a private investigator.

Fill a huge glass jug with $100 bills and lots of change. Enough to make it weigh 30-45 pounds. Set it on the sidewalk in front of a "disabled" persons house.

Wait with a camera.

When they come out, and lift that jug of money up and take it inside their homes.....BAM! They're healed, they can work. Turn that video in to the disability office, and get 'em off the payments. Put them to work.

Easy fix.

Hmmm...

I'm seeing the other side of it. My sister, age 56, recently lost all site in her left eye when her retina detached. As a result, she can't work as a registered nurse (what she's been doing since she was 20). But she does have a side job teaching Nursing that pays a pittance compared to actual nursing. As a result, DI won't pay her.

At some point, her retina in her other eye is going to detach.

Are there abuses? Probably.

But another part of the equation is that employers won't hire you if they think you might have medical issues. This is why people who find themselves unemployed at 50 have such a hard time these days.

Here we go again.

What? No RWNJ's willing to take up my challenge? Why not?

Forum List

Back