Colin Powell's New Book: War With Iraq Never Debated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_O'Neill_(Secretary_of_the_Treasury)

Bush Administration

Official portrait as Secretary of the Treasury
O'Neill was appointed Secretary of the Treasury by George W. Bush. O'Neill was an outspoken member of the administration, often saying things to the press that went against the administration's party line, and doing unusual things like taking a tour of Africa with singer Bono.

A report commissioned in 2002 by O'Neill, while he was Treasury Secretary, suggested the United States faced future federal budget deficits of more than US$ 500 billion. The report also suggested that sharp tax increases, massive spending cuts, or both would be unavoidable if the United States were to meet benefit promises to its future generations. The study estimated that closing the budget gap would require the equivalent of an immediate and permanent 66 percent across-the-board income tax increase. The Bush administration left the findings out of the 2004 annual budget report published in February 2003.[citation needed]

O'Neill's private feuds with Bush's tax cut policies and his push to further investigate alleged al-Qaeda funding from some American-allied countries, as well as his objection to the invasion of Iraq in the name of the war on terror — that he considered as nothing but a simple excuse for a war decided long before by neoconservative elements of the first Bush Administration — led to him being fired[1] in 2002 and replaced with John W. Snow.

Ron Suskind interviewed O'Neill extensively about his tenure in the Bush Administration. He was also given access to a large amount of documentation. In 2004 he produced the book The Price of Loyalty, detailing O'Neill's tenure in the Bush Administration.[6] The book describes many of the conflicts that O'Neill had with the Bush administration. For example, O'Neill was a great arguer and discusser of ideas; however when he approached Mr Cheney and attempted to engage in dialog, the Vice President would simply nod his head, and thank him for his ideas. The book also details O'Neills criticisms of some of Bush's economic policies. Bush appears somewhat unquestioning and uncurious, and the war in Iraq was planned from the first National Security Council meeting, soon after the administration took office, even though Bush had promised not to engage in nation building during his campaign.[7][8]

Last edited:
As usual CrusaderFrank skips over historical evidence to post a hole. A hole is a noun for nothing and all of his posts (all of them) are about nothing of substance. He is a fools fool. But I digress.

From Suskinds book, "The Price of Loyalty":

O'Neill says that the president did not make decisions in a methodical way: there was no free-flow of ideas or open debate.

At cabinet meetings, he says the president was "like a blind man in a roomful of deaf people. There is no discernible connection," forcing top officials to act "on little more than hunches about what the president might think."

"He also says that President Bush was disengaged, at least on domestic issues, and that disturbed him. And he says that wasn't his experience when he worked as a top official under Presidents Nixon and Ford, or the way he ran things when he was chairman of Alcoa."
Suskind says he interviewed hundreds of people for the book – including several cabinet members.

O'Neill is the only one who spoke on the record, but Suskind says that someone high up in the administration – Donald Rumsfeld - warned O'Neill not to do this book."

"

As usual CrusaderFrank skips over historical evidence to post a hole. A hole is a noun for nothing and all of his posts (all of them) are about nothing of substance. He is a fools fool. But I digress.

O'Neill says that the president did not make decisions in a methodical way: there was no free-flow of ideas or open debate.

At cabinet meetings, he says the president was "like a blind man in a roomful of deaf people. There is no discernible connection," forcing top officials to act "on little more than hunches about what the president might think."

"He also says that President Bush was disengaged, at least on domestic issues, and that disturbed him. And he says that wasn't his experience when he worked as a top official under Presidents Nixon and Ford, or the way he ran things when he was chairman of Alcoa."
Suskind says he interviewed hundreds of people for the book – including several cabinet members.

O'Neill is the only one who spoke on the record, but Suskind says that someone high up in the administration – Donald Rumsfeld - warned O'Neill not to do this book."

"

LBJ dropped the "N" word like a preacher talking Jesus.

“Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.” -- Dem Civil Rights "Hero" LBJ on Thurgood Marshall

"

I read Suskind's book a couple of years ago (actually, it was the first of 3 books of his I read). O'Neill was extremely unsettled by the fact that Bush would just sit there in meetings without asking any questions.

Come on, Bush gave Saddam a full year to comply with UN sanctions or risk being attacked. Congress gave approval for boots on the ground. Powell was against the first Gulf War and then he took credit for Schwartzkopf's victory. Maybe nobody told him but certainly the attack was discussed on the highest levels.

Exactly. Are we to make empty threats? What about following through with ultimatums? Even the UN was on board, but the costs were born by us. I believe it was a sound decision, and would eventually be recovered by economically and by having a good ally in the ME, basing rights, and a democratic state in the region besides Israel, and a direct counter to Iran's hegemonic ambitions.

But Obama has completely undercut all that.

"

LBJ dropped the "N" word like a preacher talking Jesus.

“Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.” -- Dem Civil Rights "Hero" LBJ on Thurgood Marshall
Isn't it interesting how some attack YOU for History?

Forum List

Back