Colin Powell On the Wiretaps

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Same old, same old. Links at site:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/146096.php

December 25, 2005
Powell Raps Bush For NSA Eavesdropping

The headline actually says he supports the eavesdropping, but he's more ambiguous than that:

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday supported government eavesdropping to prevent terrorism but said a major controversy over presidential powers could have been avoided by obtaining court warrants.

Appearing on ABC's "This Week" Powell said he sees "absolutely nothing wrong with the president authorizing these kinds of actions" to protect the nation.

But he added, "My own judgment is that it didn't seem to me, anyway, that it would have been that hard to go get the warrants. And even in the case of an emergency, you go and do it."

But Powell protects his reputation for never taking a clear position on anything, while continuing to court his media admirers, by also supporting the decision he just faulted:

Powell, who also is a former chairman of the military Joint Chiefs of Staff, had no reservations when asked whether eavesdropping should continue.

"Of course it should continue," he said. "And nobody is suggesting that the president shouldn't do this."

Ummm, except you, Colin.

The key to being perceived in official Washington, I guess, is to never actually say anything. Just like in Being There.

posted by Ace at 04:45 PM
Comments

I personally think it is much being made of nothing, as is the wont of the left in their neverending witch hunt.

Clearly the law has not changed in regards to obtaining warrants when tapping a US citizen's phone when going about his/her business.

I don't see anyone being defended here but criminals.

Forum List

Back