Colin Powell Jumping Ship?

Powell is a scrumbag,, kicked his best liberal friend McCain to the Curb,, so he could vote along racial lines.. no respect left for him.

McCain and Flailin Palin were aready on the curb. McCain blew it when he became a Bush lapdog in order the gain the nomination.

No, but that's the version you'd find in a high school history book.

I'm more than willing to review the version written by the biographer you referred to.

have to find it. the person was interviewed on charlie rose or something.

Being interviewed by Charlie Rose makes the person, somehow, more credible?

Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Bill Clinton Rips Obama In Charlie Rose Interview

Powell is a scrumbag,, kicked his best liberal friend McCain to the Curb,, so he could vote along racial lines.. no respect left for him.

McCain and Flailin Palin were aready on the curb. McCain blew it when he became a Bush lapdog in order the gain the nomination.

Actually, I believe McCain blew it by
1.) Attempting to ingratiate himself to "the base" on the immigration issue only to slap them in the face.
2.) Focusing on negative campaiging instead of his plans, until it was far too late (the last 2 weeks of the campaign were definitely too late).
3.) Going for the "wow factor" with Palin who, as it turns out, he would have not worked well with, rather than putting aside his differences with a former rival for the good of the party.

As an aside, by the time #1 took place, he already lost me.

1.) Attempting to ingratiate himself to "the base" on the immigration issue only to slap them in the face.
2.) Focusing on negative campaiging instead of his plans, until it was far too late (the last 2 weeks of the campaign were definitely too late).
3.) Going for the "wow factor" with Palin who, as it turns out, he would have not worked well with, rather than putting aside his differences with a former rival for the good of the party.

interesting. i agree to the extent that mccain shouldn't have ingratiated himself with "the base", but not on immigration... by appeasing the rabid religious right by picking palin. I don't think that was for "wow". I think he seriously misjudged and thought disaffected Hillary voters would vote for anything in skirts... no matter how anti-women her stances.

and he was slightly ahead up until he misplayed his hand before the debate... he looked inept and out of his league.

if he'd have picked Romney and ticked off the evangelicals, he's have won, IMO. But that's just my opinion...

interesting. i agree to the extent that mccain shouldn't have ingratiated himself with "the base", but not on immigration... by appeasing the rabid religious right by picking palin. I don't think that was for "wow". I think he seriously misjudged and thought disaffected Hillary voters would vote for anything in skirts... no matter how anti-women her stances.

and he was slightly ahead up until he misplayed his hand before the debate... he looked inept and out of his league.

if he'd have picked Romney and ticked off the evangelicals, he's have won, IMO. But that's just my opinion...

Who picked Palin? Was it McCain himself or people in his campaign?

yep! but you know what? by not holding your nose and voting for McCain you helped put the marxist dude in the WH. I didn't cast a vote "for" Mccain,, but against obamalama.

Quite a few of my friends have chastised me for not "holding my nose" and casting a vote for Mr McCain. I'm standing by my principles, I will only vote for somebody, not against somebody. If everybody else did that, we might actually get some good candidates.

not as long as we have a two party system.. as long as a two party system is in place not voting is the same as voting for the wrong guy! I can't change your princples but that's just what you did, by not voting you voted for a marxist. that's exactly what the dem;s counted on to win apathetic Republicans.

I am far from apathetic. There wasn't a presidential candidate worthy of a vote in 2008.
Every morning I see my face in the mirror as I shave, it's a face I can look at without shame.

We all make mistakes.

Democrats have a home for you.

colinb.gif

Was Powell ever a republican anyway? When he contemplated running for President in 96 or 2000, he considered running on the democratic ticket.

Mr Powell voted for Jimmy Carter over Ronald Reagan.
Nuff said.

So let me ask you something. You indicated previously that you did not vote for McCain, which tells me that you don't vote "party line" just because you're a conservative (and I have no idea if you're a registered Republican). Since he [Powell] stated, in that interview, that his Democratic votes were for who he felt were most qualified (and let's omit Obama for the moment), why the criticism? I didn't vote for Reagan either -- I didn't think he was the best man for the job. 'Course not many people "waste" their votes, do they? Would you have expected Powell to, would you have expected him to be party loyal no matter what?

I wouldn't expect Mr Powell to vote anything other than for who he thought was the best candidate.
So far, for him, that has been democrat candidates. He isn't Republican nor conservative.

Quite a few of my friends have chastised me for not "holding my nose" and casting a vote for Mr McCain. I'm standing by my principles, I will only vote for somebody, not against somebody. If everybody else did that, we might actually get some good candidates.

not as long as we have a two party system.. as long as a two party system is in place not voting is the same as voting for the wrong guy! I can't change your princples but that's just what you did, by not voting you voted for a marxist. that's exactly what the dem;s counted on to win apathetic Republicans.

I am far from apathetic. There wasn't a presidential candidate worthy of a vote in 2008.
Every morning I see my face in the mirror as I shave, it's a face I can look at without shame.

and the obamalama ding dong says "thank yew." :lol::lol:

and the obamalama ding dong says "thank yew." :lol::lol:

The good thing about principles is that I sleep well at night.

On Immigration Reform:
McCain reversed his position on a key component of comprehensive immigration reform. McCain now says that "we've got to secure the borders first" -- a position at odds with his prior assertion that border security could not be disaggregated from other aspects of comprehensive immigration reform. McCain further stated during the January 30 Republican presidential debate that he would not vote for the bill he co-sponsored with Kennedy if it came to a vote on the Senate floor.
A November 4, 2007, Associated Press article about McCain's change in position noted that his "high-profile support" for the McCain-Kennedy bill "hurt him politically" and quoted McCain stating: "I understand why you would call it a, quote, shift. ... I say it is a lesson learned about what the American people's priorities are. And their priority is to secure the borders."

The Politico article MMFA references is right on target. McCain is such a flip-flopper on this issue he grows fins and scales like he's bouncing around on a boat deck.

He talks to his Republican base and he is border security first, then it's off to the panderers convention speaking to Latinos, and he is too much of a political wimp so he talks about the classic "comprehensive reform" gobbledygook nonsense that most politicians spout when dancing around this issue.

At least Obama is consistent, even though he isn't committed to a secure border first either, and we know his position.

Reply Report Abuse
by snoopy (July 02, 2008 6:00 pm ET)
Fortunately the hispanics are seeing through his flip flopping. Any inroads Bush may have made are pretty much gone +. I'm starting to think that while the media desperately tries to tell us we've got another horse race on our hands the truth is it's gonna be a landslide that reshapes the political map for the next 30 years.
Reply Report Abuse
NPR's Liasson cited McCain's work with Kennedy on immigration reform as a "source of his maverick reputation," didn't note flip-flop | Media Matters for America

Palin was a "wow" with the PUMA group -- the "disenfranchised" Hillary voters who refused to embrace Obama. She was also a "wow" with the fundamental conservatives and "wowed" up McCain's campaign which was flailing up until then.

However, had he chosen Romney, Obama would have been left in the dust when the financial crisis shit hit the fan in September.

Mr Powell voted for Jimmy Carter over Ronald Reagan.
Nuff said.

So let me ask you something. You indicated previously that you did not vote for McCain, which tells me that you don't vote "party line" just because you're a conservative (and I have no idea if you're a registered Republican). Since he [Powell] stated, in that interview, that his Democratic votes were for who he felt were most qualified (and let's omit Obama for the moment), why the criticism? I didn't vote for Reagan either -- I didn't think he was the best man for the job. 'Course not many people "waste" their votes, do they? Would you have expected Powell to, would you have expected him to be party loyal no matter what?

I wouldn't expect Mr Powell to vote anything other than for who he thought was the best candidate.
So far, for him, that has been democrat candidates. He isn't Republican nor conservative.

Then he really ought to stop making a big show of it, shouldn't he? That's really the issue. So let him "jump ship". And don't let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

Who picked Palin? Was it McCain himself or people in his campaign?

That implies that he was not in command of his own campaign. It's a question/argument I've seen presented from libs.

Forum List

Back