Colin Powell demands answers about Curveball

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Colin Powell demands answers over Curveball's WMD lies | World news | The Guardian

I think a lie that was backed by the Bush administration, which ultimately led to the death of over 5,000 Americans and the expenditure of a trillion dollars deserves to be investigated. Why didn't the CIA write this guy off as a liar? Who in the administration was behind the push to negate any and all nayayers who came out against the WMD lie? I guess the GOP hacks on the board will quickly dismiss Powell.

On Sept. 18, 2002, CIA director George Tenet briefed President Bush in the Oval Office on top-secret intelligence that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, according to two former senior CIA officers. Bush dismissed as worthless this information from the Iraqi foreign minister, a member of Saddam's inner circle, although it turned out to be accurate in every detail. Tenet never brought it up again.

Bush knew Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction - Iraq war - Salon.com

Jeezus khrist. Bush wasn't the only one pushing the lie then was he?

Al gore Hillary Clinton bill Clinton Ted Kennedy all claimed saddam had wmds too.

I mean the list includes almost everyone in a power position in the entire world

including powell himself;

"But Powell noted that Iraq used chemical weapons in the Iraq-Iran war and on the Kurds in the 1980s and had the chance to come clean about its programs to the international community through the '90s.

Secretary of State Colin Powell Thursday defended the Bush administration's position that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction programs and defended his speech on the matter to the United Nations last February."

Powell on WMD existence: 'This game is still unfolding' - CNN

Last edited:
On Sept. 18, 2002, CIA director George Tenet briefed President Bush in the Oval Office on top-secret intelligence that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, according to two former senior CIA officers. Bush dismissed as worthless this information from the Iraqi foreign minister, a member of Saddam's inner circle, although it turned out to be accurate in every detail. Tenet never brought it up again.

Bush knew Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction - Iraq war - Salon.com

So, that settles it. It was the Decider who led us into a needless war. He can now sit on his porch in Texas and tell everyone how he kicked Saddam's ars, cause he tried to kill his old man. All he has to do to repay us is give back the Trillion dollars spent on his war and revive the 5,000 Americans. It began in the white house and then his people fed the lie to Congress. Recovering alcoholics should never be president.

WHAT A LOSER THIS MAN IS!

PS, the Germans knew this guy was a liar and that his information was bogus, which explains why most of Europe didn't go help to invade Iraq. The Germans warned the US about him and Bush and Rumsfeld, two decrepit, power hungry, war mongering idiots used bogus info to carry out what they already wanted to do.

Message to Powell:

Call your former boss in Texas and ask him. Maybe he can clue you in on why he believed a LIE. He and DICK had their agenda and nothing, including the truth, was going to stop them.

On one hand, the lives and money wasted on Iraq saddens me but a part of me can't help but find satisfaction in how things like Curveball and Wikileaks have showed what an utter disastrous fuck up neo conservative/liberal interventionism is.

Al gore Hillary Clinton bill Clinton Ted Kennedy all claimed saddam had wmds too.

I mean the list includes almost everyone in a power position in the entire world

"But Powell noted that Iraq used chemical weapons in the Iraq-Iran war and on the Kurds in the 1980s and had the chance to come clean about its programs to the international community through the '90s.

Secretary of State Colin Powell Thursday defended the Bush administration's position that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction programs and defended his speech on the matter to the United Nations last February."

Oh boy, here we go again!

Those who are listed were NOT building a case to go to war. Where as "W" did build a case and gave his evidence to Congress and the US public. Problem is that it was built on lies and not conjecture.

I have to say, that there are few people in the "Washington Elite" that I will ever consider voting for, but Colin Powell, despite the lie he got tied up in while serving under Bush is one of them. I would need some honest answers from him about what was going through his mind at the time, but I might be convinced that General Powell found himself between a rock and a hard place in those days.

I do not see him as a neocon. I see him as maybe the only man who worked in that administration who actually tried to do what he felt was best for his country.

Immie

Those who are listed were NOT building a case to go to war. Where as "W" did build a case and gave his evidence to Congress and the US public. Problem is that it was built on lies and not conjecture.

The problem was, Congress felt sure that a President and his administration would be bringing them the truth. Obviously, this president was more than happy to present evidence that he knew was a lie. Now the Neocons want to point back and say, "But even the Democrats believed it!"

Yes, Colin Powell would get my vote, but he doesn't have the taste for politics since W and DICK got him to go to the UN to spread their lie. I can't blame him.

The problem was, Congress felt sure that a President and his administration would be bringing them the truth. Obviously, this president was more than happy to present evidence that he knew was a lie. Now the Neocons want to point back and say, "But even the Democrats believed it!"

Yes, Colin Powell would get my vote, but he doesn't have the taste for politics since W and DICK got him to go to the UN to spread their lie. I can't blame him.

He didn't have the taste for it then. I seem to remember that they dragged him kicking and screaming (figuratively) into the administration. He would have been better off going with his gut and telling them to F' Off.

Immie

Message to Powell:

Call your former boss in Texas and ask him. Maybe he can clue you in on why he believed a LIE. He and DICK had their agenda and nothing, including the truth, was going to stop them.

Cheney set Powell up to be the fall-guy what w/ those pics he was given to take to the UN. Remember how they said the U.S. would be greeted as liberators and the oil would pay for it?

I have to say, that there are few people in the "Washington Elite" that I will ever consider voting for, but Colin Powell, despite the lie he got tied up in while serving under Bush is one of them. I would need some honest answers from him about what was going through his mind at the time, but I might be convinced that General Powell found himself between a rock and a hard place in those days.

I do not see him as a neocon. I see him as maybe the only man who worked in that administration who actually tried to do what he felt was best for his country.

Immie

if that were th case, he would have told Bush that his deputy, Armitage had told Novak about Plame. It came from his shop and he didn't want to take the heat if he didn't have to. Not the first time hes been a self involved political operative either. he punched his ticket way back.

Message to Powell:

Cheney set Powell up to be the fall-guy what w/ those pics he was given to take to the UN. Remember how they said the U.S. would be greeted as liberators and the oil would pay for it?

Yes, I remember it. But I doubt the GOP hacks on the board do.

Immie

He was disliked by Cheney and the neocons for his lack of zeal for the forced invasion. He then was then forced out/made to feel his opinions were worthless by Cheney, after delivering the false data to the U.N. just as directed to do so by the admin.

In 1990/91 I would have low crawled through hell following General Powell. But after he admitted that he was backing Obama and that race was one consideration I lost most of my respect for him.

As far as Curveball, we know now that he lied, Of course we also know that Saddam wanted people to believe he did have WMD, he admitted this.

Now to actually learn the truth about what Saddam did have, please read the Duelfer report.
Comprehensive Revised Report with Addendums on Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction (Duelfer Report)

Forum List

Back