Colin Powell and plain talk

JIHADTHIS

Mar 31, 2004
Mowing a grassy knoll....
I think one of the reasons Colin Powell is held in such high regard may be based on 1 premise: plain talk. Out of all the politcos and talking heads, he comes the closest to expaining things in terms that even the layest of the laymen can understand. No spin, no BS just the facts. If you caught his statement to the press this morning, he laid out the facts in regards to the Woodward book.

He stated his case, gave facts and that was it. He said this is what happened, this is what I did, and this is what I know. (He also stated that the book account is "wrong") When he was done he said "that's all I have to say" Instantly the reporters started yapping, and he turned around shaking his head and walked away. You could tell from the look on his face he was disgusted with the whole ridiculous situation. (As an aside, Woodward is now backpedaling on the context that some of the reported quotes)

Back to the main point:

I think a big part of GWB's problem is that he comes across as being out of touch.

Photo ops and snippets of speeches flashed on the tv for 30 seconds do not truly convey who the man is. It's probably safe to say that if any politician came out and talked like the rest of us, normal people would feel a certain kinship to them and could relate to them. (which would translate into votes)

I think GWB was at his best when he stood down at the WTC and made his remarks about "the people who knocked down these buildings are going to hear from all of us!" No BS, no spin, no coaching or rehearsal, just the way we all felt at that moment.
Moments in time like that are why he probably had 90% approval ratings in the following months.

And what's with these assinine disclaimers at the end of campaign commercials "My name is John Doe and I approve this ad" :lame2:

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I think bush seems personable and not out of touch.

I'm not trying to bash him, just some constructive criticism. My point is that their are very few politicians that communicate in such a way that everyday joe knows what he's talking about.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
I'm not trying to bash him, just some constructive criticism. My point is that their are very few politicians that communicate in such a way that everyday joe knows what he's talking about.

If you watched more of his speeches, especially the ones with less press coverage, you would see an average Joe type of guy. Bush certainly does not come across with the snobbery that John Kerry does.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS

Right and I'm saying your criticism is inaccurate in my opinion. He's very clear.

I think a big part of GWB's problem is that he comes across as being out of touch.

The reason he comes across as being out of touch is because he IS out of touch. He was born into a rich family and has never had to worry about his future, he was given the best schools, companies, had enough money to run for governor and be elected, had enough power and namesake to be elected president, so it isn't out of accident that Bush is out of touch.

It has never been my perception that he was out of touch...at least no more than any other Texan....

As far as Gen. Powell goes, he's not a politician. He's not practiced in the art of making elusive statements. His role in the military required him to develop a manner that was direct, understandable, and simplistic.

Alright, I fumbled the point I was trying to make:p:

I'll try again. Politicians in general talk their own language. There are exceptions. Maybe "out of touch" was the wrong phrase. I know he (GWB) is very intelligent and I support most of his policies. But the average American does not pay attention for more then 30 seconds, unless it's some crap on the E Channel, or American Idol.

Why have the major networks added more and more reality shows on TV in the last 5 years? Probably because no one can sit through many hour long dramas (unlike 15-20 years ago). People may also relate more to the people on these shows because they think it could be any one of them.

My point is this:

Average Joe Citizen turns on the TV, picks up a paper, whatever and all of the politicians and talking heads have the same tone, same manner. Yes, the messages are extremely different, but I just don't think some people take the time to see what the differences are.

In another post on this board someone made a comment that in front of the cameras GWB has to "urge restraint" by Israel, yet behind closed doors he probably tells Sharon "good job, keep kicking their asses". I think if a politician had the balls to shoot straight in front of the cameras as well, the people would have a lot more respect for him (whether or not they agreed). Hell he's already ripped by the libs, what difference does it make?

I still don't know if I'm explaining my point right.......DOH!

I think one of the reasons Colin Powell is held in such high regard may be based on 1 premise: plain talk. Out of all the politcos and talking heads, he comes the closest to expaining things in terms that even the layest of the laymen can understand. No spin, no BS just the facts. If you caught his statement to the press this morning, he laid out the facts in regards to the Woodward book.

He stated his case, gave facts and that was it. He said this is what happened, this is what I did, and this is what I know. (He also stated that the book account is "wrong") When he was done he said "that's all I have to say" Instantly the reporters started yapping, and he turned around shaking his head and walked away. You could tell from the look on his face he was disgusted with the whole ridiculous situation. (As an aside, Woodward is now backpedaling on the context that some of the reported quotes)

Back to the main point:

Photo ops and snippets of speeches flashed on the tv for 30 seconds do not truly convey who the man is. It's probably safe to say that if any politician came out and talked like the rest of us, normal people would feel a certain kinship to them and could relate to them. (which would translate into votes)

I think GWB was at his best when he stood down at the WTC and made his remarks about "the people who knocked down these buildings are going to hear from all of us!" No BS, no spin, no coaching or rehearsal, just the way we all felt at that moment.
Moments in time like that are why he probably had 90% approval ratings in the following months.

And what's with these assinine disclaimers at the end of campaign commercials "My name is John Doe and I approve this ad" :lame2:
Today Republicans are telling me they don't hold Powell or Bush in high regard. What changed?

Forum List

Back