Cold Weather Food

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
I'm going to make this tonight, and hope the low cal recipe is really low:

When I found this Weight Watchers Beef Stew Recipe for the crock pot, I literally was drooling. Though I initially thought it was just a traditional beef and vegetable stew recipe, it’s actually a classic Jewish recipe for Tzimmes! I’ve had Tzimmes before, but I’ve never had it prepared with the beef and vegetables so I was so excited to give it a try, and YOWSA!! IT WAS SO YUMMY!! Hearty and delicious, this Weight Watchers Recipe for Beef Stew is an incredibly filling meal, and with 8 Weight Watcher Points per serving, it’s much lower in calories than most stews. Try serving this stew up with a tasty 0 Points Salad for a complete and tasty meal! But keep in mind that it will also make a wonderful Passover Recipe and/or Hanukkah Recipe! This Weight Watchers crock pot recipe offers a truly unique and delicious take on beef stew by adding in some non traditional ingredients like prunes, cinnamon and honey – and it is definitely worth trying!

Weight Watchers Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe
Ingredients:
- 7 oz frozen chopped onions, about 2 cups
- 3 pounds raw, lean beef brisket, trimmed, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, cut in half if large
- 8 small uncooked new potatoes, cut in half (unpeeled)
- 16 prunes, pitted
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided (from 2 small lemons)
- 5 tsp honey, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup beef broth

NOTES: You can substitute dried apricots for the prunes if you prefer.
For a stew with thicker gravy, spoon 1 tablespoon of flour into a cup and stir in 1/4 cup of the tzimmes liquid until the mixture is lump-free. Add the flour mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. (Adding the flour does not affect the recipe’s POINTS value.)

Directions:
Place onion, beef, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, new potatoes, prunes, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and broth; stir well.
Cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. About 5 minutes before serving, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons of honey; cover and cook on low for 5 minutes.

Entire Recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 8 Weight Watchers Points

Last edited:
I made a big pot of Chili Saturday. Froze about half of it in meal sized containers.

Delilah "cooks" on weekends.......this means I fend for myself....or eat something like last night's creation: 10 minute brown rice, acorn squash, and half raw salmon marinaded in teriaki.:(

ugh.

the stew sounds horrible to me...

Just take the Brisket, cut it in to the 1 inch cubes, coat them with flour and then brown them in the pot and take them out, then take a fresh onion or two and cut them in to 8ths, cut several carrots in to big bite size portions and also celery and brown them slightly also in the pot with a little bit extra olive oil...add a couple of tablespoons of your favorite red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan, add back in the beef, and add water to just about covering it, a bay leaf and salt and pepper and cover and cook until the beef is tender...maybe about an hour and a half, then add in the new potatoes cut in half or any potatoes in bite size chunks and cook for about 20 minutes longer in the stew pot. Taste again for salt and pepper....

Just take the Brisket, cut it in to the 1 inch cubes, coat them with flour and then brown them in the pot and take them out, then take a fresh onion or two and cut them in to 8ths, cut several carrots in to big bite size portions and also celery and brown them slightly also in the pot with a little bit extra olive oil...add a couple of tablespoons of your favorite red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan, add back in the beef, and add water to just about covering it, a bay leaf and salt and pepper and cover and cook until the beef is tender...maybe about an hour and a half, then add in the new potatoes cut in half or any potatoes in bite size chunks and cook for about 20 minutes longer in the stew pot. Taste again for salt and pepper....

I made a big pot of Chili Saturday. Froze about half of it in meal sized containers.

Delilah "cooks" on weekends.......this means I fend for myself....or eat something like last night's creation: 10 minute brown rice, acorn squash, and half raw salmon marinaded in teriaki.:(

ugh.
I have a housekeeper/cook. She does most of the cooking and does a darned good job of it too.

I've never had low-cal stew that was good. The things that make a stew a stew are starches.

But I'm not a stew person anyway, I grew up on that stuff. Stew, beans, rice.

Oh, and salmon & crab.

Still can't handle more than a mouthful of crab. We had it all the time.

Like salmon though.

ugh.
I have a housekeeper/cook. She does most of the cooking and does a darned good job of it too.

Delilah stayed at home eating bon-bons, watching soap operas, bitching about me to neighbors, and trying to cut all my hair off so the philistines could capture me for 10 years. I'm much happier with her working weekdays and weekend semi-raw salmon and acorn squash.

Last edited:

What about it sounds so bad?

I thought the prunes (or Apricots) and cinnamin sort of jazz it up?

Is there something else?

The Prunes or apricots and cinnamon all sound horrible in a stew to me and takes away from the traditional beef stew...imho.!

ALSO, browning the beef with the flour on it and the veggies is critical to an excellent tasting stew....don't skip that step... by just adding the flour or cornstarch later to thicken it.

I like meat with fruit.

The sweeter, the better. I'd like cinnamon, too. But I might want some curry as well, and rice, and paprika.

Is there something else?

The Prunes or apricots and cinnamon all sound horrible in a stew to me and takes away from the traditional beef stew...imho.!

ALSO, browning the beef with the flour on it and the veggies is critical to an excellent tasting stew....don't skip that step... by just adding the flour or cornstarch later to thicken it.

I usually brown the beef/w flour also,never heard of doing that with the veggies too...I will have to try that. I also think stew is better cooked either on the stove or in the oven...seems that the sauce thickens better that way than when cooked in the crock pot.

Quick and relatively easy:

Two large cans condensed Tomato soup
One small onion diced
1 lb cooked Italian sausage (Jimmy Dean makes a packaged ground version)
Basil and Thyme (to taste)
one cup cooked rice.
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Ground Romano or Parmesan cheese (Optional)

Heat the soup, onion, sausage, spices and rice together over medium low heat.
Add hot sauce to individual serving as desired.
Garnish with ground cheese.

Serve with crackers or Italian bread

i love the winter, cooking in front of the warm stove or oven...i go the whole summer without cooking inside because it gets too warm, plus we like to grill...even the veggies on it....even if doing lobster, the pot of hot water is done on the grill.

so favorite winter meals

Stew
Pot roast
Chicken soup
Beef soup
Vegetable soup
Meatloaf w/ mashed potatoes
Chicken cacciatori
Rosemary Pork roast w/mushroom risotto
Spaghetti sauce/Lasagna
Baked Mac n cheese
Chili
Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, cornbread with turnip or mustard greens
baked squashes like acorn or butternut
15 Bean Soup

care4all when is dinner sound all good to me!!! just made some fresh venison chili just got the meat back from the butcher

Is there something else?

I agree...I've never done stew without the meat browning first....but, your opinion made me reluctant to make it, so I didn't.

I had a PB&J instead, and let everyone else fend for themselves.:tongue:

For all those who find themselves in a position of having to shovel snow, shit or whatever all morning here is a hearty breakfast to keep you going.

Creamed Beef

One lb hamburger
One half small onion diced
Salt & Pepper to taste
A pinch of ground clove
White sauce
Four Tbsp butter
Four Tbsp flour
Two cups milk
One quarter tsp of lemon juice

Brown hamburger with onion, salt & pepper.
Melt butter in sauce pan over medium low heat.
Add flour and whisk for 2 to 3 minutes until flour is absorbed into the butter (this is called a Roux).
Add milk, clove and lemon to roux turn heat up to medium and whisk continuously until mixture thickens.
mix in browned hamburger and onion (add more salt and pepper if desired and serve over toast or biscuits.

Forum List

Back