Cold Hitting Farmers Hard - Polars Bear Thriving Though...

concept

Evil Mongering
Jun 19, 2009
West Mi
Cold grips much of US, Fla. races to save crops - National Business - MiamiHerald.com
PENSACOLA, Fla. -- A stubborn cold wave locked freezing temperatures in place across the central and eastern U.S. Wednesday as far south as Florida, where farmers worked to salvage millions of dollars' worth of strawberries and other crops.

Arctic air was expected to hover through the weekend. In a rare turn for the South, forecasters warned that snow and ice were possible Thursday from South Carolina to Louisiana and wind chills in the region could get down to near zero at night.

A new winter storm brewed over the Northern Plains on Wednesday, promising more snow and deep wind chills from the Dakotas across the upper Midwest.

Freezing temperatures along with heavy snow hit parts of New England and created treacherous roads. In western New York, a woman and her infant daughter were killed late Tuesday when their car slid and slammed into a sport utility vehicle towing a trailer with two snowmobiles along a snow-covered roadway.

In Mississippi, authorities said a 68-year-old man died of hypothermia Tuesday. Two butane gas heaters were turned on inside Billy Joe Fuller's house but the tank outside was empty, Lauderdale County Coroner Clayton Cobler said. At least four deaths in Tennessee this week have been tied to the bitter cold.

In central and south Florida, farmers were trying to salvage citrus and vegetable crops by spraying them in protective layers of ice and covering them in plastic. Florida Gov. Charlie Crist signed an executive order Wednesday that gave the state's Division of Emergency Management and other agencies the authority to provide farmers with assistance.

In coastal North Carolina, volunteers were scrambling to save endangered sea turtles that were stunned by the cold and stranded off the Outer Banks.

Weather in the South this time of year is typically chilly for just a day or two before temperatures rebound into the 50s. Many homes weren't built to handle such cold, with uninsulated pipes and heat pumps that must continuously run to keep things barely comfortable.

:eusa_whistle:

Meanwhile the world's elite is busy planning on how to divide up America's wealth to combat global warming. ... oh I'm sorry, I should say, climate change.

So the enviro weenies would like to fiddle around with the climate to keep it from getting to hot but the reality is we are cooling. I wonder what the ramifications are.

People better wake up to the AGW hoax....and fast.

I heard that Iguanas are falling out of trees due to the brutal cold. !

Probably some libs are too.

Forum List

Back