Coke Myths

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
After checking snopes and watching Mythbusters, I have found that nearly everything ever circulated about Coke is verifyably false, from it and pop rocks killing Little Mikey to its ability to dissolve a tooth. I thought about posting a list here, but there's just too many. I figured I'd start a thread instead by asking if anybody had heard one that they weren't sure of. I'll go ahead and post what's probably the most widely believed one.

Coke was never actually translated into Chinese as 'bite the wax tadpole.' One of the combinations of characters that sounded like "Coca-Cola" could, with proper toning, mean 'bite the wax tadpole,' or any of of a dozen meanings, but was thrown out in the first round of choosing. The winner was (in modern Mandarin pinyin with no tone marks) 'kekoukele,' or 'to allow the mouth to rejoice.'

Hey, I watched Mythbusters last night too!
The spermicide one... I thought that was the weirdest.

The only one that I know of to actually have truth behind it is that they used to add cocaine to it...

This is my favorite myth, though.

The 3 biggest lies about coke:

1. It's addictive
2. It's deadly
3. It doesn't make you look cool

That's called satire, kids. Stay off the drugs! :thup:

Dan said:
The 3 biggest lies about coke:

1. It's addictive
2. It's deadly
3. It doesn't make you look cool

That's called satire, kids. Stay off the drugs! :thup:

Well, Coca-Cola is addictive, just like anything else with caffeine. If I don't get at least 12 oz. of something caffenated a day, I get horrendous headaches and will eventually become very nauseated and dizzy. I'm trying to cut back enough that I can decaffenate, though.

Well, Coca-Cola is addictive, just like anything else with caffeine. If I don't get at least 12 oz. of something caffenated a day, I get horrendous headaches and will eventually become very nauseated and dizzy. I'm trying to cut back enough that I can decaffenate, though.

Yah, I have a friend who is extremely addicted to Mountain Dew (goes through a 12-pack a day). He tried to completely stop drinking them and after 2 days he was practically like a junkie, he said he threw up once and he was really pale and stuff. It was scary.

But, my post was about the cocaine. And it was just a joke.

Dan said:
Yah, I have a friend who is extremely addicted to Mountain Dew (goes through a 12-pack a day). He tried to completely stop drinking them and after 2 days he was practically like a junkie, he said he threw up once and he was really pale and stuff. It was scary.

Ah, I see, but it did once contain cocaine. It was required to, in fact, in order to keep the trademark on the name (that's what the 'Coca' is short for). When cocaine was outlawed, it got to keep the name, just not the 'secret ingredient.'

Also, tell your friend that if he cuts back slowly, the withdrawal won't be as bad, if it even shows up. If it were me, I'd drink one less every day until I was down to two, then plateau off and slowly cut back over a couple of weeks.

Also, tell your friend that if he cuts back slowly, the withdrawal won't be as bad, if it even shows up. If it were me, I'd drink one less every day until I was down to two, then plateau off and slowly cut back over a couple of weeks.

He's not so much my friend anymore. He plays World of Warcraft about 10 hours a day now, so I don't see him as much. Not that I'd want to hang out with someone who plays any video game that long, but you know...

Dan said:
He's not so much my friend anymore. He plays World of Warcraft about 10 hours a day now, so I don't see him as much. Not that I'd want to hang out with someone who plays any video game that long, but you know...

That game is worse than crack...and I just can't get enough. Fortunately, I've managed to limit myself. However, it's hard to cut off game time when some dungeons take upward of 4 hours to finish...after spending an hour seeking a group and a half hour getting them there.

Hobbit said:
Ah, I see, but it did once contain cocaine. It was required to, in fact, in order to keep the trademark on the name (that's what the 'Coca' is short for). When cocaine was outlawed, it got to keep the name, just not the 'secret ingredient.'
That's true... Coca Cola had cocaine as one of its ingredients. I've read in the past that they still use coca extract as one of the ingredients.

Coca Cola was first invented by a doctor back in the 1890s or 1880s as a hangover remedy. Unfortunately for him, he didn't sell much of it. He then sold the formula to a druggist. As you all know, back in those days, drug stores usually had a soda fountain, so it was inevitable that the fellow discovered, that if he added seltzer water to the stuff, it was a great soft drink and the rest, as they say, is history.

About the cocaine... you see, back in those days cocaine was in a lot of things, even children's cough syrup. A doctor in Vienna was busily touting the benefits of the stuff before he became known as the father of psychotherapy (in case you haven't guessed, that man was Sigmund Fraud er.. Freud).

Then, in 1906, one of the few good things of the progressive movement happened.... The Pure Food and Drug Act. That law required companies no longer market drugs unless they were proven "safe and effective". Of course, by this time, the effects of cocaine were understood and cocaine was taken out of Coca Cola and a lot of other products.

BTW... You may not know this, but "Heroin" is a registered trademark of The Bayer Company.... of course, they haven't sued anyone for trademark infringement over its use, since they'd like to people to forget they ever had anything to do with the junk. Strangely enough, the same fellow that first synthesized heroin for commercial use also synthesized the most popular medicine in history... Aspirin! As another coincidence, the fellow's name was Felix Hoffman, who shares the same last name as the Father of LSD, Albert Hoffman....

Dan said:

i can't drink MD much, not because of the caffeine, but because it has an aftertaste that I can't seem to get rid of. I think it is because the drink contains vegetable oil in it...yuk.

I'm trying to break myself IN to caffeine. I was completely decaffeinated for years from bearing and breast-feeding four children. But I couldn't even have a chocolate binge without tossing and turning for an hour before I could fall asleep. And sometimes a woman NEEDS chocolate. So I have been trying to build up a tolerance for the drug. Pretty scary. I get hypoglycemic, so I have just been drinking half a cup of coffee in the morning along with something to eat. I don't get shaky and nauseous any more. So perhaps I have stepped on the road to addiction. :D

mom4 said:
I'm trying to break myself IN to caffeine. I was completely decaffeinated for years from bearing and breast-feeding four children. But I couldn't even have a chocolate binge without tossing and turning for an hour before I could fall asleep. And sometimes a woman NEEDS chocolate. So I have been trying to build up a tolerance for the drug. Pretty scary. I get hypoglycemic, so I have just been drinking half a cup of coffee in the morning along with something to eat. I don't get shaky and nauseous any more. So perhaps I have stepped on the road to addiction. :D
Welcome to the road! Now we just need to get you a suitable car to barrel through the curves recklessly. I think I know of one I might suggest...

The ClayTaurus said:
Welcome to the road! Now we just need to get you a suitable car to barrel through the curves recklessly. I think I know of one I might suggest...
Is it a carafe on wheels or a MAZDA?

Forum List

Back