Coffee Party in Decline -- How about Cappuccino?

Catbert

Sep 16, 2009
Coffee partiers complain on their site about the decline of their movement...admitting it lacks focus, and they don't know what their issues are. Another problem is that events are planned at the top, when it should be at the lesser "grass roots" (read astroturf) level. (didn't they laugh at the Tea Party for not having a defined leader? )

They're thinking maybe "Coffee Party" is too blue collar, and they should change the name to "Cappuccino Party."

Here for your enjoyment, saved by a stalwart defender of America, the coffee party's "edict" telling what must be done (they don't have a clue...but SOMETHING must be done) to save their coffee/cappuccino party.
-------------------------------
By William A. Jacobson
Associate Clinical Professor of Law, Cornell Law School, Ithaca, NY

Monday, August 16, 2010

Post About Coffee Party Decline Removed From Its Website

On Friday, August 13, I ran a post, Coffee Party Grows Cold, highlighting a post on the Coffee Party's website titled Reversing the Coffee Party's decline, about how the Coffee Party was in decline.

On Saturday night, August 14, Instapundit kindly linked to my post, which lit up the old SiteMeter with plenty of out clicks to the Coffee Party website; many other blogs linked to or ran with the story.

At some point on Sunday, August 15, the original post was removed from the Coffee Party website, and readers now see this:
(see it at the link below)

But not to worry, I figured this would happen, so before running my post I captured the original post:
(see it at the link below)

Here is the full text of the post:
-----------------------------------
Having visited Coffee Party chapters in two states, and having heard from other city and state organizers, I definitely know we're in decline. Chapters have folded, events are less well-attended, and morale is at a low. I want to use this forum to explore why that is. To me, it has to do with several individual and organizational problems: 1) We lack a consistent focus on one or two policy issues. We move from event to event without sticking with a certain cause and motivating our members persistently engaged. Events are fine if all we want to do is talk, but it's clear that many of our members (myself included) see this movement as a vehicle for real policy change.

2) At the root of 1) is that the organization lacks democratic accountability. Event decisions are set at the top and conveyed downward. This is totally turning the idea of a grassroots movement on its head. All decisions should be made at the chapter (or Coffee shop) level, and conveyed upward. The job of those at the top is to make sure that the people at the bottom have made a decision, and to encourage the movement as a whole to move as one solid mass (at least on certain policies or initiatives). After all, politics is about strength in numbers.

3) Effective democracy requires transparency. The decision to have a convention was made at the top without any input from the grassroots, even though it used ordinary members' donations. The organization's financial records should be posted online and updated regularly (monthly or quarterly). All decisions about spending in excess of $10,000 (or, once we grow, over 10% of revenues) should be made by the grassroots.

4) Politicians know who they can ignore. Right now, we're ignorable, because no matter how passionate we are about certain issues (e.g., money in politics), most of us don't vote with those issues at the front of our minds. As a result, candidates dispense platitudes about how they support our efforts, knowing they'll never have to risk their political careers to vote on these issues. The free pass we give our elected leaders must end now. If we believe money in politics is the root of our social ills, then we should have the fortitude to vote people in and out on that issue alone. If that thins out the political herd too much, then we should be willing to nominate members from our own ranks, or from our communities, to seek elected office.

That's all I have so far. Let me know what you think. I'd really like to spread this conversation around so that we can get some positive change implemented.

-----------------------
In addition to the point made in my original post about the Coffee Party declining, notice how the author is complaining about top-down decision making and use of donations without accountability.

These Coffee Party supporters really are naive, and are just beginning to understand that their good intentions are being used by professional organizers to create the appearance of a grassroots movement in support of Obama's agenda.

The author also complained about lack of transparency at the Coffee Party. And now the post and all the comments to the post have been removed from the Coffee Party's website.

Have you people ever read Animal Farm? Or don't they stock that at the Coffee Party bookstore?

--------------------------------------------
Related Posts:
What If You Threw A Coffee Party, And Mostly Middle-Aged White Males Showed Up?
Cappuccino Party
Coffee Party Parasites

http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/20....ne-removed.html

Last edited:
Problem with the coffee party people getting together is that they start talking about their work and families, instead of important things like bogus birth certificates and black helicopters.

The post on legalinsurrection should be updated. The thread on CoffeePartyUSA is on the site, but with a new title: Sept. Convention: Reversing Coffee Party's decline.

Unfortunately, this new title perverts the original meaning of the post, and probably draws new people away from posting there. (This is on top of the fact that the name-change has caused all the old links to it to break.) In any case, there is still no official word from the Coffee Party moderators as to why this is.

The big problem for the Coffee Party is that its target membership is full of Koolaid.

Just sayin'.

They're redundant and reactionary. Even the tea baggers haven't come close to the real grassroots movement like Netroots, who have an actual track record of accomplishment.

Forum List

Back