"Coffee Party" had a national convention. Really.

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Coffee party urges voters to get involved at Louisville convention | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

The Coffee Party USA — which was founded on Facebook and is holding its first national convention in Louisville this weekend — bills itself as a more thoughtful and reasoned alternative to the tea party.

Saturday night the organization held a panel discussion, part of its three-day “Restoring American Democracy” convention, that included bloggers, college professors and communications strategists talking about what they can do to make politics more inclusive. They also discussed how to draw more disenfranchised voters back into the democratic process.

The discussion before about 350 people at the Galt House touched on policy, politics and values and how to bridge the partisan divide.

It's "first national convention" or it's last? :tongue:

Hat tip to Newsbusters...

Decaffeinated Coffee Party Convention Fizzles Out to Almost No Media Acclaim | NewsBusters.org

Remember all the media hoopla earlier this year surrounding the birth of the liberal alternative to the Tea Party called the Coffee Party which was founded by former Obama political operative, Annabel Park? Well, despite all the promotion of the Coffee Party by the MSM, it has pretty much fizzled out. The extent of its slide into complete insignificance can be measured by the fact that its national convention in Louisville, KY this past weekend registered almost no media coverage. Perhaps even the MSM was embarrassed by the Coffee Party's current obscurity to the extent that its lasting legacy might well be the performance at their convention of the lamest rap song in history.

Video available at second link. :lol:

Is the Coffee Party a movement or a series of High School reunions?

Keep up the good work folks, however... keep in mind, "your" revolution will not be televised.

Well, here's the problem that I have with this...

When did the "liberal" mainstream media "promote" the "coffee party"?

I remember hearing about it once, and then never again.

Did they hold it at a Starbucks?

If I'd known, I'd have definitely gone. I like coffee.

sucks-coffee.jpg

It was in Newsweek per the the second link in the OP.

Also CNN, NYT, CBS, WaPo (a glowing article plus OpEd space for founder Ms. Park.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/us/politics/02coffee.html?_r=1

Meet the people who are percolating in the Coffee Party - CNN.com

Is the "Coffee Party" the Next Big Thing? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Coffee Party activists say their civic brew's a tastier choice than Tea Party's - washingtonpost.com

Coffee Party movement: Alternative to tea - washingtonpost.com

Also CNN, NYT, CBS, WaPo (a glowing article plus OpEd space for founder Ms. Park.

Coffee Party activists say their civic brew's a tastier choice than Tea Party's - washingtonpost.com

Should I even attempt to compare it to the coverage that the Tea Parties have gotten?

Should I even attempt to compare it to the coverage that the Tea Parties have gotten?

Are they calling the coffee potheads racists? Bigots? Dangerous terrorists? Stupid? Any criticism whatsoever?

Are they calling the coffee potheads racists? Bigots? Dangerous terrorists? Stupid? Any criticism whatsoever?

I haven't seen the "Mainstream Media" call the Tea Partiers racists or bigots. I've only heard that from left-wing pundits and race-baiters.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make. I hold no alligence to the "Coffee Party" (apparently, no one does). I'm just trying to figure out why the right feels the need to attack them and ridicule them so much.

If you can find as much positive reporting by the MSM at the same time that the Tea Party was getting off the ground then power to ya. However I was only posting the above in answer to your question about the MSM coverage. And I did not even include the obvious tour of MSNBC shows that the Coffee Party was praised at or Ms. Park was interviewed on.

The two are comparable in some ways but not others, a context ought to be provided. For example, my beloved Seattle Seahawks are the "coffee party" of the NFL (sans the glowing coverage) in that most have heard of them but they are mostly an ignored small market team. Verses the farking "America's Team" Dallas freakin' Cowboys who get all the attention, national games as well as the scrutiny.

If you can find as much positive reporting by the MSM at the same time that the Tea Party was getting off the ground then power to ya. However I was only posting the above in answer to your question about the MSM coverage. And I did not even include the obvious tour of MSNBC shows that the Coffee Party was praised at or Ms. Park was interviewed on.

The two are comparable in some ways but not others, a context ought to be provided. For example, my beloved Seattle Seahawks are the "coffee party" of the NFL (sans the glowing coverage) in that most have heard of them but they are mostly an ignored small market team. Verses the farking "America's Team" Dallas freakin' Cowboys who get all the attention, national games as well as the scrutiny.

This is exactly my point, and exactly why I commented on the quote from your OP. I'm sick of people pulling the "liberal media" card when it's not applicable.

Only if you also show all the negative coverage they have gotten and are getting from the Liberal media.

I haven't seen the "Mainstream Media" call the Tea Partiers racists or bigots. I've only heard that from left-wing pundits and race-baiters.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make. I hold no alligence to the "Coffee Party" (apparently, no one does). I'm just trying to figure out why the right feels the need to attack them and ridicule them so much.

Who is ridiculing them? Where are all these attacks you speak of?

More parties = a better chance to find one that actually represents you. I say more power to em.

You are shitting me, right? Not seen the MSM call the TEA's racists? Go look. Bigots? Yep, that too. MSM were all over the TEA's like white on rice. The Coffee Party has been widely ignored by the right.

You are shitting me, right? Not seen the MSM call the TEA's racists? Go look. Bigots? Yep, that too. MSM were all over the TEA's like white on rice. The Coffee Party has been widely ignored by the right.
Links?

More parties = a better chance to find one that actually represents you. I say more power to em.

THIS THREAD is ridiculing the Coffee Party.

I don't ridicule them. They're perfecting welcome to try to counter the TEA's. On the day that they can fill more than one Starbucks with their membership, I'll pay attention to them.

I don't ridicule them. They're perfecting welcome to try to counter the TEA's. On the day that they can fill more than one Starbucks with their membership, I'll pay attention to them.

Well. Maybe not Starbucks...
The Rachel Maddow Show - New 'Coffee Party' suddenly hot
No corporate sponsors, No paid speakers! I would encourage coffee meetups to be held at local independent coffee shops and restaurants, homes, or public spaces. Avoid national/international chains (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc...), lets be true to an independent grassroots identity!

We would not want George Soros money going to corporations now would we? :lol:

American Thinker Blog: The Coffee Party Now Embarrasses Media Which Hyped It

I do give Ms. Park credit for staying in the game, however. She has not yet quit in embarrassment. But then again, I wonder where the money came from to stage an event in Louisville? Perhaps she is just fulfilling her obligations to funders? I would welcome a public disclosure of Coffee Party finances. So far, we know this, via Mark J.Fitzgibbons:

"The contribution landing page for the Coffee Party says that it partners with Democracyinaction.org, a 501(c)(3) organization, meaning contributions to the latter are tax-deductible.

The About Page for Democracyinaction.org states that it gets funding from Open Society Institute, George Soros's organization."

Heh. "Grassroots!!1!1!!"

Forum List

Back