Coffee-Flavored Steak??

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Tue Jan 13, 9:11 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

SEATTLE (Reuters) - The city that spawned America's obsession with strong, dark coffee is giving locals a popular new coffee-flavored steak, even while the mad cow scare that started in Washington state is putting some people off beef.

Rippe's, a local waterfront steak and seafood restaurant, began serving filet mignon steaks dusted with Starbucks Corp.'s dark espresso blend a few weeks ago and now has a runaway hit on its hands.

"The first night we tried it, about a third of the menu sold was the steak," said Chad MacKay, whose family runs several steak joints in the Seattle area.

MacKay said that the $29 steak, now dubbed the Seattle Signature Steak, was the brainchild of a waiter and a chef.

Despite being rubbed with coffee grinds before grilling, the 12-ounce steak, although a bit crunchy, carries only a subtle whiff of coffee flavoring.

Seattle and the rest of the state were jolted by the news four weeks ago that a cow in the central Washington town of Mabton had tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE (news - web sites)) or mad cow disease.

Link

I can't imagine anyone paying $29 bucks for a coffee dusted steak.

Mtn I am with you, coffee just does not seem like the best topping for a steak !!

In my opinion, anyone who has to add flavoring to a steak doesn't really like steak in the first place. ;)

Yeah I pretty much agree. It depends on the cut of meat though. Filets do not have as much developed flavor, they are typically served with some sort of enhancement, ie mushroom demi-glace or bearnaise something like that.

Coffee flavored steak doesn't sound so appealing. There is also that soda, think Jones, that came out with the flavor Turkey and gravy at Thanksgiving time! now that's gross, but yet, they said it sold tons.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Yeah I pretty much agree. It depends on the cut of meat though. Filets do not have as much developed flavor, they are typically served with some sort of enhancement, ie mushroom demi-glace or bearnaise something like that.

I generally go with foods that already taste good instead of those that require a lot of preparation, mainly because I don't get off my duff and go to the store until I get really hungry. By that time, all I want to do is cook it and eat. :laugh:

:bleah:

Why would anyone want to defile a perfectly good steak with StarBucks?

I agree with SM, although I forgo the pepper.

I do marinate cheaper, tougher cuts of meat for the BBQ. I'll have to post some good recipes one of these days. In particular my chile rub for flank steadk and bourbon marinade for chuck steak are fab!

The perfect steak: a little pepper and salt, marinated in Dale's Steak Seasoning for an hour, cooked just barely medium-rare, and covered in mushrooms sauteed in an ungodly amount of butter and garlic. And Heinz 57 steak sauce. This is making me hungry. I'll probably eat that tomorrow, my friends and I have a little tradition where every thursday night we cook steaks and drink... soda;).

Originally posted by Dan
The perfect steak: a little pepper and salt, marinated in Dale's Steak Seasoning for an hour, cooked just barely medium-rare, and covered in mushrooms sauteed in an ungodly amount of butter and garlic. And Heinz 57 steak sauce. This is making me hungry. I'll probably eat that tomorrow, my friends and I have a little tradition where every thursday night we cook steaks and drink... soda;).

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: You put all of that on it and still refer to it as steak?

Here's steak:

Outdoor version: salt and black pepper, over plain charcoal or charcoal and mesquite chips.

Indoor version: salt, pepper, sliced onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms in olive oil.

What I'm getting at here is ya can still taste the friggin' steak when it's done!!! :laugh:

steak and coffee dont go together period. they need to get off the doobage.

mt version of a great steak?
super hot grill, high flames, toss it on the grate, about 2minutes on each side

Just give me a filllet mignon, sauteed with shitake and porcini mushrooms in a barolo sauce and I will be happy.

Look... coffee is a part of people's everyday lives out here. I cannot think of any commercially zoned areas in the area without at least one Starbucks and one other local coffee place. So I'm not surprised someone came up with this. I actually think it might taste pretty good, though I don't want to have to drive all the way to Seattle to try it.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Look... coffee is a part of people's everyday lives out here.

Well I suppose you are right gop, it could be viwed as inevitable. After all they have produced Newcastle Brown Ale flavoured, Urghh, ice cream here.

I suppose, also, that coffee flavoured ice cream and chocolate has been around for years but, imo, coffee flavoured steak is stretching crebibility too far.

Forum List

Back