Coca-Cola and the problem with industry-funded research

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For the record, I don't drink a whole lot of coke. Right now I am drinking a glass of Big Red. It will be another six months before I do it again. I don't care if anyone else drinks a whole lot of coke. Not my business. Just like how much coffee I drink is none of yours. But, here we are with industry funding studies. Again. The following is a lengthy article. Inside is a link to the Food Politics blog which is pretty cool.

This past weekend, The New York Times reported on a newly formed nonprofit organization aiming to develop solutions to prevent and reduce diseases associated with poor nutrition and obesity. One of the newsworthy aspects of this story was that this organization had received significant funding from soft drinks giant Coca-Cola. The other was that the group suggests poor dietary habits are not to blame for obesity.

The Global Energy Balance Network (GEBN) is an international organization led by reputable scientists of public health based in universities across the world. The research focus of the group is energy balance - a state of equilibrium between calories consumed and calories burned through physical activity.

In a promotional video, one member of the group's executive committee, Steven N. Blair, a professor at the Arnold School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina, states that the current message about unhealthy diets and the obesity epidemic is inaccurate:

"Most of the focus in the popular media and in the scientific press is that they're eating too much, eating too much, eating too much, blaming fast food, blaming sugary drinks and so on. And there's really virtually no compelling evidence that that in fact is the cause. Those of us interested in science, public health, medicine, we have to learn how to get the right information out there."

Many people have seen this statement suggesting that there is no compelling evidence that sugary drinks cause obesity and seen that the research group is funded by Coca-Cola and thought that something is amiss.
Coca-Cola and the problem with industry-funded research - Medical News Today

Forum List

Back