COBRA coverage subsidy ends soon

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
As part of the federal stimulus package, Congress authorized $25 billion to provide subsidies for about 7 million laid-off workers so they can remain on health plans provided by their employers under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, better known as COBRA.

Under the program, laid-off workers pay 35 percent of premiums and the government reimburses employers for the remaining 65 percent.

When workers leave their jobs, they typically shoulder the entire cost of premiums themselves, an often expensive proposition for folks trying to subsist on unemployment checks.

On average, the typical family pays $1,069 a month to continue employer-sponsored health coverage, according to Families USA, a health advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

COBRA subsidies last nine months, and that time runs out at the end of the month – Monday – for the program's first enrollees,if congressional action is not taken

COBRA coverage subsidy ends soon for many - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Will Congress "take action"? SHOULD Congress take action?

Yes. One of the guys quoted in the article aid he's healthy and will just get a low cost "catastrophic" policy. I have a feeling under the proposed reforms out there, those policies will no longer be available. Shame.

As part of the federal stimulus package, Congress authorized $25 billion to provide subsidies for about 7 million laid-off workers so they can remain on health plans provided by their employers under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, better known as COBRA.

Under the program, laid-off workers pay 35 percent of premiums and the government reimburses employers for the remaining 65 percent.

When workers leave their jobs, they typically shoulder the entire cost of premiums themselves, an often expensive proposition for folks trying to subsist on unemployment checks.

On average, the typical family pays $1,069 a month to continue employer-sponsored health coverage, according to Families USA, a health advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

COBRA subsidies last nine months, and that time runs out at the end of the month – Monday – for the program's first enrollees,if congressional action is not taken

COBRA coverage subsidy ends soon for many - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Will Congress "take action"? SHOULD Congress take action?

Last I looked it wasn't taxpayer responsibility to provide health insurance coverage to the general populace. Congress is trying to change that though.

I just found this article:

Health Insurance: Can You Afford It? | WINK News - News, Sports and Weather - Southwest Florida | Local & Florida

College student Thomas Turano has been without health insurance for a year. After searching online and typing in some very basic information Turano was given numerous quotes under $100, but many had very high deductibles.

Eventually, Turano found Go Blue Florida, a Blue Cross Blue Shield discount plan without any catastrophic coverage for just $22 a month. After a quick phone call, Blue Cross offered to add a secondary plan to the discount plan for another $34 a month. For just $58 a month, Turano's insurance would have a $250 deductible, pay $50 towards all doctor's visits, apply discounts to prescriptions, cover 100% of lab tests and blood work if its in network and cover 80% of major medical expenses.

"I think it would be worth it because it covers so much," said Turano.

There are affordable policies out there. Maybe the insurance companies could put together an insurance pool that offers catastrophic major medical with a high deductible and low premium. Everyone should be able to afford it, and no one should go bankrupt over a major illness. Too simple a solution? Too inexpensive?

Oh who am I kidding? It's not about health insurance. It's about "redistributive justice". I almost forgot.

I just found this article:

Health Insurance: Can You Afford It? | WINK News - News, Sports and Weather - Southwest Florida | Local & Florida

College student Thomas Turano has been without health insurance for a year. After searching online and typing in some very basic information Turano was given numerous quotes under $100, but many had very high deductibles.

Eventually, Turano found Go Blue Florida, a Blue Cross Blue Shield discount plan without any catastrophic coverage for just $22 a month. After a quick phone call, Blue Cross offered to add a secondary plan to the discount plan for another $34 a month. For just $58 a month, Turano's insurance would have a $250 deductible, pay $50 towards all doctor's visits, apply discounts to prescriptions, cover 100% of lab tests and blood work if its in network and cover 80% of major medical expenses.

"I think it would be worth it because it covers so much," said Turano.

There are affordable policies out there. Maybe the insurance companies could put together an insurance pool that offers catastrophic major medical with a high deductible and low premium. Everyone should be able to afford it, and no one should go bankrupt over a major illness. Too simple a solution? Too inexpensive?

Oh who am I kidding? It's not about health insurance. It's about "redistributive justice". I almost forgot.

The problem with my employer sponsored insurance is that it doesn't offer a catastrophic only plan.
I can afford standard check-ups and well care. I can afford to spend $10-20k or so for a medical need. All I want is catastrophic plan that kicks in when something really bad happens.

Wife got canned after the school district denied tenure. F'ing bastards. It was by chance I learned of COBRA and questioned them about it. "Oh yeah- you can apply". By law they were supposed to notify us of the availabliity of COBRA, which they didn't. Then I caught a story on the internet re: the subsidy. "Oh yeah- you can apply". Again they volunteered nothing. It's a Godsend. Great idea. Really helps.

Forum List

Back