Coal consumption increases 40x's faster than Solar's "installed" capacity.

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
Not accounting for the weak capacity factor of Solar as well as actual power delivered to the Grid, Coal consumption increased 40x's faster than Solar since 2003.

Coal is here to stay and will continue to grow. It is impossible not to increase the use of Coal when Coal is consumed by the extreme needs of manufacturing 100's of square miles of Solar Panels.

It is a fact to state that Solar has increased the use of Coal.

Since 2003 Coal consumption has increased 9x faster than Wind energy and 40x than Solar

Since 1973, coal consumption has grown faster than any other form of energy. Yes, this pattern has lost its acceleration slightly in the past few years, with 2013 seeing its lowest growth yet – only 3%. In absolute numbers, though, this means coal use rose by about 50 percent more than the growth in petroleum and nearly three times the growth seen in natural gas – and we’re talking about other fossil fuels here. Concerning non-hydro renewables, coal use since 2003 has grown nine times faster than the growth seen in wind-energy consumption and 40 times that of solar energy. The report reads:

“Coal, which now accounts for about 40 percent of all global electricity production, will likely maintain its dominant role for decades to come. Electricity-poor countries, along with those that are electricity-rich, are currently building hundreds of gigawatts of new coal-fired electricity-generation capacity. The nine countries discussed in this paper—China, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, and South Korea—are planning to build about 550 gigawatts of new coal-fired capacity over the next two and a half decades. The vast majority of that, some 400 gigawatts, is planned for China. Given the coal industry’s recent history and the ongoing surge in global coal use, there is little reason to believe that any of the much-discussed international efforts to impose a cap or tax on carbon-dioxide emissions will prevail. Furthermore, given the ongoing increase in global coal use—along with the fact that the U.S. has more coal resources than any other country—it makes no sense for U.S. policymakers to restrict the use of coal in America.”

GR_PR_090113_coal2.png

We are shutting down our manufacturing in the USA, decreasing our electricity and energy needs, importing miles and miles of Solar Panels from China, and ignoring the fact that we simply moved our Energy use overseas, out of the headlines.

Since 2003 Coal consumption has increased 9x faster than Wind energy and 40x than Solar

In 2013, global wind-energy output was up 21 percent, while solar grew even faster, up by 33 percent last year. It may seem like we’re on the right track, yet worldwide the two (solar+wind) barely account for ~1.5% of total energy production, while demand is rising faster than non-hydro renewable installation can keep up. It’s all a pipe dream, it may seem, and the Manhattan Institute report is one hell of a cold, acid-water shower.

Since 1973, coal consumption has grown faster than any other form of energy. Yes, this pattern has lost its acceleration slightly in the past few years, with 2013 seeing its lowest growth yet – only 3%.

God, you guys are a riot. What kind of math did you take in the third grade? Less see, what we have here is one form of energy which has been in use for a couple of hundred years, that just had it's lowest growth rate, 3%, and falling, competing with another form of energy which has just entered the market. And it is growing at 20% to 40% annually. Now why don't you try a little compound interest equation on those figures?

At that rate, it will be in my lifetime that renewables replace coal.

Yes, simple math, except to describe electricity produced your stating solar grew by such and such percentage, Coal is literally providing around 46% of the USA's power, where as Solar provides less than 1/2%,, if coal use is increased by 1% that is equal to more than double of all the "installed " capacity of solar. If you double the amount of installed solar you will not equal 1% of coals output.

Percentages mean nothing, as used by matthew and you others, its nothing but idiocy which hides the fact that solar has failed.

You can increase Solar all you want, by any percentage, but when compared to Coal, solar is a pimple on coal's ass, nothing more.

In 2013, global wind-energy output was up 21 percent, while solar grew even faster, up by 33 percent last year. It may seem like we’re on the right track, yet worldwide the two (solar+wind) barely account for ~1.5% of total energy production, while demand is rising faster than non-hydro renewable installation can keep up. It’s all a pipe dream, it may seem, and the Manhattan Institute report is one hell of a cold, acid-water shower.

Since 1973, coal consumption has grown faster than any other form of energy. Yes, this pattern has lost its acceleration slightly in the past few years, with 2013 seeing its lowest growth yet – only 3%.

God, you guys are a riot. What kind of math did you take in the third grade? Less see, what we have here is one form of energy which has been in use for a couple of hundred years, that just had it's lowest growth rate, 3%, and falling, competing with another form of energy which has just entered the market. And it is growing at 20% to 40% annually. Now why don't you try a little compound interest equation on those figures?

At that rate, it will be in my lifetime that renewables replace coal.

A = P(1+r/t)^nt At 20 years at 3%, you are multiplying P by 1.81, at 20% P is multiplyed by 38.3. At 40%, P is multiplied by 836.7

However, I am quite sure before even five years is up, coal will have a negative percentage of increase.

A = P(1+r/t)^nt At 20 years at 3%, you are multiplying P by 1.81, at 20% P is multiplyed by 38.3. At 40%, P is multiplied by 836.7

However, I am quite sure before even five years is up, coal will have a negative percentage of increase.
Solar equals zero at a price of $46 trillion.

Solar doubled it's output of electricity from 2013 to 2014. A rather robust growth for something that is going broke. Coal growth was less than 1%. Wind grew by 8%, and now the non-hydro renewable generation is exceeding the hydro generation, and grew by 10% from 2013 to 2014.

EIA - Electricity Data

Tell that to those ultra-liberals in Texas that are installing it by the megawatt.
A government tax break and subsidies is pure profit with no risk, all the solar companies will go bankrupt on their government guaranteed loans.

dare i say, SOLYNDRA
Dare I say Hudson? Studebaker? Whippet?
Hudson got bought, turned into AMC, is now owned by Fiat, dae i state you are advocating subsidies to companies that will get bought for pennies on our dollars by communist chinese companies.

Excellent point old rock, about time you posted something truthful.

You should make thread, "USA gives renewable energy companies to china"

Ok I want you solar/fossil fuels rocket scientists to sort out the confusion. Let's say Germany, which is the fourth largest economy, has a day when renewables provide 74 percent of its energy. That's got to amount to more than 1 percent of total,world energy output. China is producing panels for its own use at record pace. The Netherlands wants to go 100 percent renewable. So the hype seems to be that solar is everywhere and making huge inroads.

My understanding is that energy supplies are so tight that the smallest adjustment one way or the other creates wide price swings. One million barrels of oil can swing the price of a 90 million a day habit. Yes this is mostly transportation, so solar may not have an effect. But if solar is taking the place of so much why isn't it having more of an effect on pricing, especially on nat gas or even coal, because if it isn't having an effect on pricing then it really hasn't made inroads in the supply chain, sort of supporting the thesis of the op.

Where is critical mass? 5, 10, 25 percent? When are we going to get there? When are we going to know we are there? How are we going to know we are there? Are you just going to say that the increase in energy use in India and china will negate any gains by solar and wind.

So what are the Vegas odds? Renewables? Fusion? Advanced fossil fuels? Small bore nuclear? Who's our daddy?

Solar doubled it's output of electricity from 2013 to 2014. A rather robust growth for something that is going broke. Coal growth was less than 1%. Wind grew by 8%, and now the non-hydro renewable generation is exceeding the hydro generation, and grew by 10% from 2013 to 2014.

EIA - Electricity Data
I doubled the money I had in my pocket, I found a penny on the ground that I added to the one in my pocket.

Ok I want you solar/fossil fuels rocket scientists to sort out the confusion. Let's say Germany, which is the fourth largest economy, has a day when renewables provide 74 percent of its energy. That's got to amount to more than 1 percent of total,world energy output. China is producing panels for its own use at record pace. The Netherlands wants to go 100 percent renewable. So the hype seems to be that solar is everywhere and making huge inroads.

My understanding is that energy supplies are so tight that the smallest adjustment one way or the other creates wide price swings. One million barrels of oil can swing the price of a 90 million a day habit. Yes this is mostly transportation, so solar may not have an effect. But if solar is taking the place of so much why isn't it having more of an effect on pricing, especially on nat gas or even coal, because if it isn't having an effect on pricing then it really hasn't made inroads in the supply chain, sort of supporting the thesis of the op.

Where is critical mass? 5, 10, 25 percent? When are we going to get there? When are we going to know we are there? How are we going to know we are there? Are you just going to say that the increase in energy use in India and china will negate any gains by solar and wind.

So what are the Vegas odds? Renewables? Fusion? Advanced fossil fuels? Small bore nuclear? Who's our daddy?
Solar does not produce .50 % of the USA's Energy, thus far its cost has been billions, who knows how much, they do not tell us. They include Solar Plants that do now work in the figures. Germany is reducing its solar and building coal plants while increasing the output of its nuclear power plants. Spain is pulling back from solar as well, Solar and Wind has bankrupted Spain, as well as Greece. What they spent on Green Energy they have been teetering on the brink of defaulting on. Around 90 billions spent, around 90 billion owed.

Solar and Wind are bad investments, bad for the economies, heavily subsidized.

US Solar Energy Capacity Grew An Astounding 418 From 2010-2014

It’s true solar is still a small part of America’s energy mix – even with this growth, solar energy still only makes up just over 1% of total national generation capacity. But quadrupling capacity in just four years is an indisputable testament to the potential for solar to decarbonize our economy and decentralize our power system.

Just over 1%. And the amount of electricity produced at utility level in 2013 was twice that of 2013. With that kind of growth, in less than a decade, solar will be a major component of the grid, and coal will be nearly extinct.

Forum List

Back