CO2 at the highest level in 2.1 million years

So tell me in the past 2 million years have there been any 200 year periods where the temps were warmer than they are today?

Yes, there have been. About 120 thousand years ago, the CO2 stood at 300 ppm for a couple thousand years, and the temperatures were warmer, and the sea level about 3 to 6 meters higher.

It takes time for the environment to react to the input of heat that the GHGs are creating. However, the speed at which the globe is reacting at present exceeds the speed with which it reacted in prior geological times to rapid GHG input. The times just pror to some very serious extinction events.

Annie wrote: I'd be more interested in the numbers from say the past 300 years or so. Just before and including all the industrialization period.

Last Time Carbon Dioxide Levels Were This High: 15 Million Years Ago, Scientists Report

Of course this true. Whenever it gets warmer, less CO2 is sequestered.

I'm a little confused by the seemingly simultaeous appearance of ice in Antarctica and the rise in the Sea level. I thought that when water was frozen on land the sea level dropped.

Is this something new?

If i'm wrong, but seems you are giving me links to hockey stick? Which has already been proved unreliable at best.

Quite on the contrary. The bumpy hockey stick has been confirmed by every scientific study done, including the one just completed at Berkeley.

hockey league
Hockey_League_spaghetti.gif

My moneys on the world already being warmer than any period in the last 2000, but add another 3C to the end up to 2100 and the idea of it being warmer in the past is dead toast anyway.

Last edited:
Of course this true. Whenever it gets warmer, less CO2 is sequestered.

I'm a little confused by the seemingly simultaeous appearance of ice in Antarctica and the rise in the Sea level. I thought that when water was frozen on land the sea level dropped.

Is this something new?

If i'm wrong, but seems you are giving me links to hockey stick? Which has already been proved unreliable at best.

Quite on the contrary. The bumpy hockey stick has been confirmed by every scientific study done, including the one just completed at Berkeley.

Who cares s0n?

Only the OCD environmentalist religion.

The public thinks the hockey stick is BS because they think the hockey stick was invented to facilitate a cause. At the end of the day..........nothing else matters.:lol::lol: The "every scientific study done" shit worked up until a couple of years ago. Its not 2007 anymore. For my kids sake...........thank God for that!!!

Last edited:
So tell me in the past 2 million years have there been any 200 year periods where the temps were warmer than they are today?

Yes, there have been. About 120 thousand years ago, the CO2 stood at 300 ppm for a couple thousand years, and the temperatures were warmer, and the sea level about 3 to 6 meters higher.

It takes time for the environment to react to the input of heat that the GHGs are creating. However, the speed at which the globe is reacting at present exceeds the speed with which it reacted in prior geological times to rapid GHG input. The times just pror to some very serious extinction events.

If CO2 is the highest it's been in over 2 million years and the temps are not the highest they've been in 2 million years then.......

Maybe you all should stop imitating Chicken Little.

Hey, you want to try this new CO2 drug?

"CO2? Already tried it! I've been taking between 200ppm and 300ppm for what seems like millions of years!"

Ah but do you want to up the dose to 400ppm?

"Uh is that safe increasing the dose by 30% in one go?"

Well put it this way - noone has proven it's dangerous!

"Who has tried it before?"

Well nobody, but as I said no-one has proven it's dangerous so it must be safe!

"That makes sense, let me try it *swallow*"

Now that you've tried 400pm, how about we up the dose to 1000ppm?

"1000ppm??? That doesn't sound like a good idea. We have no idea what might happen"

Well you feel fine after 400ppm right?

"Im not sure enough time has passed for it to kick in yet..."

Okay let me ask you a different question. You've been taking 200ppm-300ppm CO2 for what seems like millions of years right?

"yeah"

And in that time did you ever feel worse than you do at present?

"Well yes I once had a bad headache for a week"

Well then, that proves that you've had worse effects at 200-300ppm than 400ppm. That proves 1000ppm will be safe.

"I am not sure that is at all logical...and anyway like I said the 400ppm dose hasn't kicked in yet we can't conclude the effects just yet...umm seriously what you just said really doesn't make any sense. How is an argument like that even entertained?"

Last edited:

If CO2 is the highest it's been in over 2 million years and the temps are not the highest they've been in 2 million years then.......

Maybe you all should stop imitating Chicken Little.

Skull, i have been on here for awhile but pay little attention to names.

Were you the fella who said he did not care if greenhiuse gasses retained heat in enclosed fish tank like experiments because that was not reoresentstive of the earth?

If so then I believe you to be pretty radical and potentially have your head in the sand.

If not then my apologies.

Conservatively I am going to say if a substance reflects light in a closed room it also will outside even if solar activity is higher or lower when I take it outside.

CO2 causes the earth to retain heat. This was proven experimentally in 1859.

We have increased atmospheric CO2 40% in the last 200 years.

Atmospheric CO2 is now at its highest level in 2 million years.

We are going to add another 1,000 billion tons of CO2 to the atmosphere in this century.

We are warming the earth, my friends.

We are going to add another 1,000 billion tons of CO2 to the atmosphere in this century.

A slight increase in Dark Energy is responsible for whatever "Warming" we're seeing

A slight increase in Dark Energy is responsible for whatever "Warming" we're seeing
maybe we should start blaming string theory. It'd be about as truthy.

And 40% of 0.04% of the atmosphere is significant how? Why are we not worried about our water vapor emissions that consist of up to 8% of the atmospheric composition and are a much more powerful "greenhouse gas"?

We have steam everywhere! Even coming out of our ethanol powered cars in greater abundance than petroleum powered ones. Or did you not know why you saw water running from tailpipes?

Stop big steam before it kills us all! And it's HOT when it comes out! Oh noes!

And 40% of 0.04% of the atmosphere is significant how? Why are we not worried about our water vapor emissions that consist of up to 8% of the atmospheric composition and are a much more powerful "greenhouse gas"?

We have steam everywhere! Even coming out of our ethanol powered cars in greater abundance than petroleum powered ones. Or did you not know why you saw water running from tailpipes?

One word: rain

Glad you brought this up.

The oceans have warmed up so much that it is adding to the humidity in the air. Thus the increase in snowfall in the winter.

CO2 is a very powerful greenhouse gas. That's why Venus is hotter than Mercury.

The oceans have warmed up so much that it is adding to the humidity in the air. Thus the increase in snowfall in the winter.

aaaaand the proof that mankind is the not only warming the atmosphere but is the ocean's primary source of warming is.... where?

We're really going to try that too?

And there is still not a single experiment showing how a 60 or 100PPM increase in CO2 raises temperature or does any of the other things its supposed to (Melt ice caps, kill polar bears, killer tornadoes, Cat 5 hurricanes)

Last edited:

Really s0n?

This.........coming from the same guy that was on the bandwagon just 5 years ago saying that snowfall totals would be going down to near zero levels due to global warming.:D:D Thats what ALL the k00ks were saying 5 or 6 years ago, and then, when they looked like nincomepoops, they revised the theory!!!

GEN_115_LR-27.jpg

The Fucking Flintones and their SUVS!!

the_flintstones-5297.gif

Sorry, I am so conservative compared to the rest of this board. Me and my wanting to make sure we take care of the planet for our kids by limiting our greenhiuse emissions.

Perhaps I need to learn how to liberally understand science and build a future out of hope and sloth.

Forum List

Back