CO2 at the highest level in 2.1 million years

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
The study, in the June 19 issue of the journal Science, is the latest to rule out a drop in CO2as the cause for earth's ice ages growing longer and more intense some 850,000 years ago. But it also confirms many researchers' suspicion that higher carbon dioxide levels coincided with warmer intervals during the study period.

The authors show that peak CO2 levels over the last 2.1 million years averaged only 280 parts per million; but today, CO2 is at 385 parts per million, or 38% higher.

Carbon Dioxide Higher Today Than Last 2.1 Million Years

The low carbon dioxide levels outlined by the study through the last 2.1 million years make modern day levels, caused by industrialization, seem even more anomalous, says Richard Alley, a glaciologist at Pennsylvania State University, who was not involved in the research.

"We know from looking at much older climate records that large and rapid increase in CO2 in the past, (about 55 million years ago) caused large extinction in bottom-dwelling ocean creatures, and dissolved a lot of shells as the ocean became acidic," he said. "We're heading in that direction now."

I'd be more interested in the numbers from say the past 300 years or so. Just before and including all the industrialization period.

I wanna know who RWatt's a sock puppet for. I have a suspicion but that's all.

Ok, lets use a little deductive reasoning shall we?

If the CO2 levels are the highest in 15 million years ( or 2.1 million years) has the temperature been higher then today? If so then why blame CO2? Just curious.

You gotta hand it to the fools who make a living from government grants. A degree in beer drinking and liberal science and experience in ass-kissing for fun and profit might lead to any conclusion that covers their next car payment. The Sun's influence in global weather might have a bearing but that's outside their spnere of experience. Opinions are like ass-holes, everyone has one and some are one.

Ok, lets use a little deductive reasoning shall we?

If the CO2 levels are the highest in 15 million years ( or 2.1 million years) has the temperature been higher then today? If so then why blame CO2? Just curious.
I wanna see Cro Magnon SUVs.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... one day we gonna wake up...

... an' there won't be no air to breathe...

... `cause it all gonna be CO2...

... an' den we all gonna suffocate to death."
:eek:

I'd be more interested in the numbers from say the past 300 years or so. Just before and including all the industrialization period.

Bump. I mean the numbers for the past 300 years ought to be air tight, right? Considering the science can go back thousands of years, less than 500 should be a no brainer.

Annie wrote: I'd be more interested in the numbers from say the past 300 years or so. Just before and including all the industrialization period.
Prior to the Industrial Revolution of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the carbon dioxide level was about 280 parts per million, Tripati said. That figure had changed very little over the previous 1,000 years. But since the Industrial Revolution, the carbon dioxide level has been rising and is likely to soar unless action is taken to reverse the trend, Tripati said. "During the Middle Miocene (the time period approximately 14 to 20 million years ago), carbon dioxide levels were sustained at about 400 parts per million, which is about where we are today," Tripati said. "Globally, temperatures were 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit warmer, a huge amount."

Tripati's new chemical technique has an average uncertainty rate of only 14 parts per million. "We can now have confidence in making statements about how carbon dioxide has varied throughout history," Tripati said. In the last 20 million years, key features of the climate record include the sudden appearance of ice on Antarctica about 14 million years ago and a rise in sea level of approximately 75 to 120 feet.

"We have shown that this dramatic rise in sea level is associated with an increase in carbon dioxide levels of about 100 parts per million, a huge change," Tripati said. "This record is the first evidence that carbon dioxide may be linked with environmental changes, such as changes in the terrestrial ecosystem, distribution of ice, sea level and monsoon intensity." Today, the Arctic Ocean is covered with frozen ice all year long, an ice cap that has been there for about 14 million years."Prior to that, there was no permanent sea ice cap in the Arctic," Tripati said.

Last Time Carbon Dioxide Levels Were This High: 15 Million Years Ago, Scientists Report

The study, in the June 19 issue of the journal Science, is the latest to rule out a drop in CO2as the cause for earth's ice ages growing longer and more intense some 850,000 years ago. But it also confirms many researchers' suspicion that higher carbon dioxide levels coincided with warmer intervals during the study period.

The authors show that peak CO2 levels over the last 2.1 million years averaged only 280 parts per million; but today, [COLOR="Red"]CO2 is at 385 parts per million, or 38% higher. [/COLOR]

And yet temperatures are not the highest in that period.

Annie wrote: I'd be more interested in the numbers from say the past 300 years or so. Just before and including all the industrialization period.
Prior to the Industrial Revolution of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the carbon dioxide level was about 280 parts per million, Tripati said. That figure had changed very little over the previous 1,000 years. But since the Industrial Revolution, the carbon dioxide level has been rising and is likely to soar unless action is taken to reverse the trend, Tripati said. "During the Middle Miocene (the time period approximately 14 to 20 million years ago), carbon dioxide levels were sustained at about 400 parts per million, which is about where we are today," Tripati said. "Globally, temperatures were 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit warmer, a huge amount."

Tripati's new chemical technique has an average uncertainty rate of only 14 parts per million. "We can now have confidence in making statements about how carbon dioxide has varied throughout history," Tripati said. In the last 20 million years, key features of the climate record include the sudden appearance of ice on Antarctica about 14 million years ago and a rise in sea level of approximately 75 to 120 feet.
"We have shown that this dramatic rise in sea level is associated with an increase in carbon dioxide levels of about 100 parts per million, a huge change," Tripati said. "This record is the first evidence that carbon dioxide may be linked with environmental changes, such as changes in the terrestrial ecosystem, distribution of ice, sea level and monsoon intensity." Today, the Arctic Ocean is covered with frozen ice all year long, an ice cap that has been there for about 14 million years."Prior to that, there was no permanent sea ice cap in the Arctic," Tripati said.

Last Time Carbon Dioxide Levels Were This High: 15 Million Years Ago, Scientists Report

Of course this true. Whenever it gets warmer, less CO2 is sequestered.

I'm a little confused by the seemingly simultaeous appearance of ice in Antarctica and the rise in the Sea level. I thought that when water was frozen on land the sea level dropped.

Is this something new?

Of course this true. Whenever it gets warmer, less CO2 is sequestered.

I'm a little confused by the seemingly simultaeous appearance of ice in Antarctica and the rise in the Sea level. I thought that when water was frozen on land the sea level dropped.

Is this something new?

If i'm wrong, but seems you are giving me links to hockey stick? Which has already been proved unreliable at best.

So tell me in the past 2 million years have there been any 200 year periods where the temps were warmer than they are today?

The authors show that peak CO2 levels over the last 2.1 million years averaged only 280 parts per million; but today, [COLOR="Red"]CO2 is at 385 parts per million, or 38% higher. [/COLOR]

And yet temperatures are not the highest in that period.

Yet. Another 1C warming and they very well may be.

The authors show that peak CO2 levels over the last 2.1 million years averaged only 280 parts per million; but today, CO2 is at 385 parts per million, or 38% higher.

............and????

Temps were much warmer a few hundred years ago...............clearly implies there is zero correlation between CO2 and temperatures.

:fu::fu::fu:..........you fcukking dummy!!!!!!

Last edited:

The numbers for the pre-industrialization period were 280 ppm for CO2 and about 750 ppb for CH4. CO2 is now 390 ppm, and CH4 is about 1800 ppb. Now if you are really interested, here is a site from the American Institute of Physics that will give you all the information known on that issue;

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

And here is a lecture from the 2009 American Geophysical Union Conferance, concerning the relationship of CO2 and Temperature.

A23A

Forum List

Back