CNN Sues Manafort Trial Court For Names And Addresses Of Jury Members

Of course, WaPo, BuzzFeed, NYT, NBC and AP plus POLITICO asked for the information, not just CNN. It was so they could interview them (or try to) after the trial is over.
It is completely illegal to screw with a sitting juror.

So leave business cards with the judge for the jury. Those interested can contact them. No, this is out and out jury tampering.

Paul Manafort trial: judge won't release jurors' names over safety concerns

Ellis also revealed he had personally been threatened and was being protected by US marshals. Jury lists are usually made public unless a judge articulates a reason for keeping them secret.

“I’ve received criticism and threats,” Ellis said. “I imagine they would, too.”

His comments came hours after Donald Trump defended Manafort as “a good person” and declined to rule out a pardon as a jury spent Friday deliberating the fate of the former campaign chairman.

“I think the whole Manafort trial is very sad,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn at the White House, before departing for a fundraiser on Long Island. “I think it’s a very sad day for our country. He happens to be a very good person, and I think it’s very sad what they’ve done to Paul Manafort.”

Manafort faces 18 counts of tax evasion and bank fraud. Asked if he would pardon him, Trump said: “I don’t talk about that now.”

Trumps remarks are not helpful when a trial is ongoing. Especially when they operate on the most brain deficient amongst his followers.

It looks like democracy is under threat in the USA.
I wonder if the Judiciary will join the press as enemies of the people ?

CNN-Logo-Building.jpg

Oh-oh...... CNN is anticipating an acquittal.

CNN Sued The Government For Names, Addresses Of Manafort Jurors
The anti-Trump cable news network has a long history of doxxing threats and harassment.
August 17, 2018 By Bre Payton

In a motion filed in federal court on Thursday, CNN and several other media outlets requested that the court release the names and home addresses of all jurors in the Paul Manafort fraud case. Jurors haven not yet rendered a verdict on any of the 18 charges against Manafort, who briefly served as President Donald Trump’s campaign manager in 2016.

The motion — filed on behalf of CNN, Washington Post, BuzzFeed, POLITICO, New York Times, NBC Universal, and the Associated Press — asks the court to provide to the media organizations the full names and home addresses of the men and women who were summoned and selected by the federal government to serve as jurors in Manafort’s fraud case.

This is not acceptable that a MSM organisation DEMAND the name and home addresses of jurors, if so the Judge would have said yes they would print this OR the thing would be leaked and onto Twitter and other Social Media and this potentially endangers the lives of the jurors from the Unhinged Far Leftist Antifa Fascists.
Of course, WaPo, BuzzFeed, NYT, NBC and AP plus POLITICO asked for the information, not just CNN. It was so they could interview them (or try to) after the trial is over.
Suuuuuure.
But when did a law stop the press from spreading falsehoods. Fraud is against the law you know.

So leave business cards with the judge for the jury. Those interested can contact them. No, this is out and out jury tampering.
Of course it isn't. Why did the judge encourage them to appeal if he says no?
I'm surprised. I would think the jurors should be protected from the press and everyone else until the verdict is in. I would think that is what the media is thinking, too. They will be ready to move in like carrion as soon as it is over. Especially if it is a hung jury, or he is found not guilty.

Media requests for jurors’ names and addresses is not uncommon in high-profile cases, and federal courts have ruled that the information can be made public except under certain circumstances. (RELATED: Trump Calls Case Against Manafort ‘Very Sad’)

“A thirsty press is essential to a free county,” Ellis said in court when addressing the media companies’ motion. He also urged the news outlets, which are being represented by the firm Ballard Spahr, to appeal his decision should he rule against publicizing the jury’s information.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/17/cnn-nyt-manafort-jury-names-addresses/

Of course it isn't. Why did the judge encourage them to appeal if he says no?
I'm surprised. I would think the jurors should be protected from the press and everyone else until the verdict is in. I would think that is what the media is thinking, too. They will be ready to move in like carrion as soon as it is over. Especially if it is a hung jury, or he is found not guilty.

Media requests for jurors’ names and addresses is not uncommon in high-profile cases, and federal courts have ruled that the information can be made public except under certain circumstances. (RELATED: Trump Calls Case Against Manafort ‘Very Sad’)

“A thirsty press is essential to a free county,” Ellis said in court when addressing the media companies’ motion. He also urged the news outlets, which are being represented by the firm Ballard Spahr, to appeal his decision should he rule against publicizing the jury’s information.

CNN, NYT And Other News Outlets Ask Manafort Judge To Release Jurors’ Names, Addresses
The judge was going to hear the motion at 2 p.m. today. I haven't found where the judge made a decision yet, except Mud's comment that the judge told them to go pound sand.
You got a link, mudwhistle?

CNN-Logo-Building.jpg

Oh-oh...... CNN is anticipating an acquittal.

CNN Sued The Government For Names, Addresses Of Manafort Jurors
The anti-Trump cable news network has a long history of doxxing threats and harassment.
August 17, 2018 By Bre Payton

In a motion filed in federal court on Thursday, CNN and several other media outlets requested that the court release the names and home addresses of all jurors in the Paul Manafort fraud case. Jurors haven not yet rendered a verdict on any of the 18 charges against Manafort, who briefly served as President Donald Trump’s campaign manager in 2016.

The motion — filed on behalf of CNN, Washington Post, BuzzFeed, POLITICO, New York Times, NBC Universal, and the Associated Press — asks the court to provide to the media organizations the full names and home addresses of the men and women who were summoned and selected by the federal government to serve as jurors in Manafort’s fraud case.

This is not acceptable that a MSM organisation DEMAND the name and home addresses of jurors, if so the Judge would have said yes they would print this OR the thing would be leaked and onto Twitter and other Social Media and this potentially endangers the lives of the jurors from the Unhinged Far Leftist Antifa Fascists.

Well then wait until the trial is finished to ask, NOT want their names and home addresses BEFORE the trial is finished.

Despite their overall rarity in American history, “nameless juries have progressed from a judicial fluke to a well-established departure from ordinary procedure, and a measure which some authorities argue seriously should be ordinary procedure.”[5] Today, every federal judicial circuit, excluding the 10th Circuit, has approved of the use of anonymous juries.[6] This past summer, for instance, a federal judge in Brooklyn ordered the empanelment of an anonymous jury in the criminal trial of an al Qaeda terrorist who threatened to kill prosecutors and court staff.[7]More troubling is the practice of trial courts in Los Angeles County of withholding juror names in the majority of criminal cases.[8] Even in situations where courts decide to disclose the identities of jurors to the parties, they may refuse to disclose such information to members of the news media.[9]

Moreover, at least one federal statute would seemingly permit the use of anonymous juries. The Jury Selection and Service Act states that each district court shall put into operation a written plan for the random selection of jurors that fixes “the time when the names drawn from the qualified jury wheel shall be disclosed to parties and to the public.” [19] That Act also states, however, that judges may keep the names of jurors “confidential in any case where the interests of justice so require.”[20]

The right of access to juror names and addresses | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

Jury tampering is the crime of attempting to influence a jury through other means than the evidence presented in court, such as conversations about the case outside the court, offering bribes, making threats or asking acquaintances to interfere with a juror.

A person commits the crime of jury tampering if, with intent to influence a juror's vote, opinion, decision or other action in the case, he attempts directly or indirectly to communicate with a juror other than as part of the proceedings in the trial of the case. Jury tampering may be committed by conducting conversations about the case outside the court, offering bribes, making threats or asking acquaintances to communicate with a juror.

Jury Tampering Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

Ellis also revealed he had personally been threatened and was being protected by US marshals. Jury lists are usually made public unless a judge articulates a reason for keeping them secret.

His comments came hours after Donald Trump defended Manafort as “a good person” and declined to rule out a pardon as a jury spent Friday deliberating the fate of the former campaign chairman.

“I think the whole Manafort trial is very sad,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn at the White House, before departing for a fundraiser on Long Island. “I think it’s a very sad day for our country. He happens to be a very good person, and I think it’s very sad what they’ve done to Paul Manafort.”

Manafort faces 18 counts of tax evasion and bank fraud. Asked if he would pardon him, Trump said: “I don’t talk about that now.”

Trumps remarks are not helpful when a trial is ongoing. Especially when they operate on the most brain deficient amongst his followers.

The jury will not be safe if they come back with not guilty. The left wing will go nuts. That is why the judge is keeping their names hidden. He is being threatened because he is keeping the trial as fair as it can be with politically motivated prosecutors....the left doesn't want a fair trial, they demand a conviction.

Why? The judge is exercising due caution and following the laws. The law breakers would be those making threats to the judge, not Trump.

Despite their overall rarity in American history, “nameless juries have progressed from a judicial fluke to a well-established departure from ordinary procedure, and a measure which some authorities argue seriously should be ordinary procedure.”[5] Today, every federal judicial circuit, excluding the 10th Circuit, has approved of the use of anonymous juries.[6] This past summer, for instance, a federal judge in Brooklyn ordered the empanelment of an anonymous jury in the criminal trial of an al Qaeda terrorist who threatened to kill prosecutors and court staff.[7]More troubling is the practice of trial courts in Los Angeles County of withholding juror names in the majority of criminal cases.[8] Even in situations where courts decide to disclose the identities of jurors to the parties, they may refuse to disclose such information to members of the news media.[9]

Moreover, at least one federal statute would seemingly permit the use of anonymous juries. The Jury Selection and Service Act states that each district court shall put into operation a written plan for the random selection of jurors that fixes “the time when the names drawn from the qualified jury wheel shall be disclosed to parties and to the public.” [19] That Act also states, however, that judges may keep the names of jurors “confidential in any case where the interests of justice so require.”[20]

The right of access to juror names and addresses | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

Jury tampering is the crime of attempting to influence a jury through other means than the evidence presented in court, such as conversations about the case outside the court, offering bribes, making threats or asking acquaintances to interfere with a juror.

A person commits the crime of jury tampering if, with intent to influence a juror's vote, opinion, decision or other action in the case, he attempts directly or indirectly to communicate with a juror other than as part of the proceedings in the trial of the case. Jury tampering may be committed by conducting conversations about the case outside the court, offering bribes, making threats or asking acquaintances to communicate with a juror.

The media would not do that. They just wanted to have a jump start and be ready to get in someone's driveway first. You know how they are.
I can't believe anyone would believe this horse hockey about the media actually planning to tamper with the jury. THAT is ridiculous. These people are professionals, and they may be blood suckers but they are not criminals.

The jury will not be safe if they come back with not guilty. The left wing will go nuts. That is why the judge is keeping their names hidden. He is being threatened because he is keeping the trial as fair as it can be with politically motivated prosecutors....the left doesn't want a fair trial, they demand a conviction.
From where I sit it seems like it is just Trump trying to influence the course of the trial. He should shut up and let the court get on with it.

From where I sit it seems like it is just Trump trying to influence the course of the trial. He should shut up and let the court get on with it.

He can't. the jury can't look at any news while the trial is ongoing, and the trial is in an anti Trump area you doofus.... if anything, he would hurt Manafort with his tweets.

The media would not do that. They just wanted to have a jump start and be ready to get in someone's driveway first. You know how they are.
I can't believe anyone would believe this horse hockey about the media actually planning to tamper with the jury. THAT is ridiculous. These people are professionals, and they may be blood suckers but they are not criminals.
The mainstream media is vested in bringing down Trump.
Nothing else matters to them.

He can't. the jury can't look at any news while the trial is ongoing, and the trial is in an anti Trump area you doofus.... if anything, he would hurt Manafort with his tweets.
He is obviously stirring his base up with his idiocy. They are threatening the judge.

Sure they would, long standing tradition of getting "scoops". I already gave you one way to get the information. I watch the press night after night twist stories on the news. Professional journalism is dead.

He is obviously stirring his base up with his idiocy. They are threatening the judge.

Moron, the judge is bitch slapping the prosecution, Trump's base supports this judge.... do you even try to understand what you are posting about? The left hates this judge because he openly stated that he knows the only reason the prosecution is going after Manafort is to try to get to Trump... he stated this directly to the prosecution...

The only ones threatening the judge are left wing asshats....

Beside that, American Conservatives don't engage in the violence that the left wing does....we believe in the rule of law, they don't.

New Topics

Forum List

Back