CNN reports FBI investigating Newcorp over 911 allegations

Responding to allegations from several Washington lawmakers, the FBI has opened an investigation into whether Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. attempted to hack into the telephones of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the families of those who died.

According to federal law enforcement sources, the decision by the FBI's field office in New York to launch the criminal probe came after several members of Congress raised concerns in letters to FBI headquarters, questioning whether reporters for the media empire may have tried to compromise Sept. 11 victims just as they reportedly hacked into the phones of numerous individuals in England.

FBI opens probe into activities of Murdoch's News Corp. - latimes.com

Responding to allegations from several Washington lawmakers, the FBI has opened an investigation into whether Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. attempted to hack into the telephones of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the families of those who died.

According to federal law enforcement sources, the decision by the FBI's field office in New York to launch the criminal probe came after several members of Congress raised concerns in letters to FBI headquarters, questioning whether reporters for the media empire may have tried to compromise Sept. 11 victims just as they reportedly hacked into the phones of numerous individuals in England.

FBI opens probe into activities of Murdoch's News Corp. - latimes.com

This is getting juicier by the minute! PULL THE CHECK BOOK OUT RUPPIE! Ya got a lot of people to pay off with this one.

G'day mate!

250px-crocodiledundeehogan.jpg

Would it even have been possible to hack them back then? There were only two cell phones on the places that managed to connect to the ground. Most of the phone calls were by satellite phones.

It is amazing how much tech has changed in 10 years.

This sounds like just a witch hunt kind of deal.

Would it even have been possible to hack them back then? There were only two cell phones on the places that managed to connect to the ground. Most of the phone calls were by satellite phones.

Actually, I've just been digging around the media looking for more details. As I read, I was struck by one thing. I can't find a direct quote from the ex-cop naming the News of the World, or any other newspaper. I can find quotes from him claiming that he was 'besieged' by 'journalists' and that they asked him to get phone numbers - and I can see a quote where he claimed they asked him particularly about British victims.... But... no direct quote naming any particular paper.

So. My questions about this, so far, are:

1. How does he know it was it NotW journalists?
2. What does he mean by 'besieged'?
3. Does he remember which papers these journalists represented?
4. Were any of these journalists from, say, US papers? Or any other countries?

Edit: 5. Does he remember, or did he make a note of, the names of the journalists?

Last edited:
Gee your BORING Cali......you know not the minute nor the hour....take a rest pill of choice:cool:

Actually, I've just been digging around the media looking for more details. As I read, I was struck by one thing. I can't find a direct quote from the ex-cop naming the News of the World, or any other newspaper. I can find quotes from him claiming that he was 'besieged' by 'journalists' and that they asked him to get phone numbers - and I can see a quote where he claimed they asked him particularly about British victims.... But... no direct quote naming any particular paper.

Edit: 5. Does he remember, or did he make a note of, the names of the journalists?

Last edited:
Gee your BORING Cali......you know not the minute nor the hour....take a rest pill of choice:cool:

I know.... I keep asking questions.... ones that the drooling hordes hadn't considered. :eusa_angel:

And, if I bore you, perhaps you should put me on ignore.

Cali ignore you,your the best thing/sorry person on here..steve:cool:

I know.... I keep asking questions.... ones that the drooling hordes hadn't considered. :eusa_angel:

I wish I could say it was reciprocal, but since I've read nothing noteworthy or even vaguely interesting from you, sadly, I cannot.

Thats what I really like about you,you say what you feel,you'd be very welcome in Ausland,we like straight shooters......anyway time will tell if I reach your expectations of resiprocity,.....steve:cool:

I wish I could say it was reciprocal, but since I've read nothing noteworthy or even vaguely interesting from you, sadly, I cannot.

Let me get this straight, Eric Holder's FBI doesn't have a victim or a crime but they are conducting an investigation. I don't recall the FBI investigating the hacking of Sara Palin's E-mail account two years ago. In 1995 the FBI had a crime and a victim and even a conspiracy but no investigation. The two democrat activists got a slap on the wrist for taping Gingrich's cell phone conference call but nothing happened to democrat congressman Jim McDermott who knowingly released the contents of an illegally hacked cell phone call to the NY Times.

Let me get this straight, Eric Holder's FBI doesn't have a victim or a crime but they are conducting an investigation. I don't recall the FBI investigating the hacking of Sara Palin's E-mail account two years ago. In 1995 the FBI had a crime and a victim and even a conspiracy but no investigation. The two democrat activists got a slap on the wrist for taping Gingrich's cell phone conference call but nothing happened to democrat congressman Jim McDermott who knowingly released the contents of an illegally hacked cell phone call to the NY Times.

I would be worried too if I were you.

Murdoch is going down big time.

The question is, "What did Rupert know, and when did he know it?"

I would be worried too if I were you.

Murdoch is going down big time.

The question is, "What did Rupert know, and when did he know it?"

No, it isn't. The first question is 'where is the actual evidence that links the NotW to the conversation that the copy claims happened. I'm not doubting the cop that journalists called him, but I am questioning his ability to recall exactly which paper(s). Surely, he should be able to name names if he can name the outlet?

It has been admitted by Murdoch's gal Friday that there was hacking. So get off of, "where's the evidence" already.

Rebekah Brooks resigns over UK phone-hacking scandal - CNN.com

News International CEO Rebekah Brooks resigns - USATODAY.com

"We will follow this up in the future with communications about the actions we have taken to address the wrongdoing that occurred," said James Murdoch, who heads the international operations of the New York-based News Corp. and has been considered to be his father's heir apparent.

It has been admitted by Murdoch's gal Friday that there was hacking. So get off of, "where's the evidence" already.

Rebekah Brooks resigns over UK phone-hacking scandal - CNN.com

News International CEO Rebekah Brooks resigns - USATODAY.com

"We will follow this up in the future with communications about the actions we have taken to address the wrongdoing that occurred," said James Murdoch, who heads the international operations of the New York-based News Corp. and has been considered to be his father's heir apparent.

Where is the evidence that it was News International that tried to bribe an NY cop? I have said, time and again, this phone hacking was not limited to News Int. So far, it is assumption that it was New Int. But, according to the cop himself, he was 'besieged' by media asking for this information. 'Besieged'. That means a lot of journalists. So which journalists and from which outlets? Are you saying that - 10 years after the incident - that this cop remembers exactly which outlet these unnamed journalists were calling on behalf of?

Think. Apply logic.

Nothing has been proven in NY. I don't see anything yet that would even gives strong suspicion here yet. But the UK incident is serious and it is real. There is good reason for the FBI to investigate.

Nothing has been proven in NY. I don't see anything yet that would even gives strong suspicion here yet. But the UK incident is serious and it is real. There is good reason for the FBI to investigate.

The UK investigate has only just started. Why should the FBI investigate something for which they have no fucking evidence? I appreciate that News Int have done the 'mea culpa' but they have admitted nothing that affects the US. Only the UK. What exactly are the FBI supposed to 'investigate'.

Me thinks that some people are just praying they can find some tenuous link to Fox News. :lol::lol: Just goes to show that hatred for your opposition surpasses all logic, reason and even respect for the core values of our society.... freedom.

The UK investigate has only just started. Why should the FBI investigate something for which they have no fucking evidence? I appreciate that News Int have done the 'mea culpa' but they have admitted nothing that affects the US. Only the UK. What exactly are the FBI supposed to 'investigate'.

Me thinks that some people are just praying they can find some tenuous link to Fox News. :lol::lol: Just goes to show that hatred for your opposition surpasses all logic, reason and even respect for the core values of our society.... freedom.

No argument here. Politics often can be cruel, but both sides are guilty. It is not so easy to seperate politics and realistic concerns at time, even for those who consider themselves bipartisan. We will see what happens.

No argument here. Politics often can be cruel, but both sides are guilty. It is not so easy to seperate politics and realistic concerns at time, even for those who consider themselves bipartisan. We will see what happens.

I'll quite happily see Murdoch charged, convicted and serve whatever sentence is appropriate. Just like I would be if he were the head of MSNBC, or any other corporate head.

What I dislike is people repeating speculation as fact. Such as that it was a NotW journalist who called the ex NY Cop. That cop has not - that I can find in any media outlet - said who the journalists (because there was more than one) were or what outlet they worked for.

A few days ago, everyone was certain that The Sun had hacked the phone of ex PM Gordon Brown to get a story about his son's illness. Turned out that was not true and the newspaper who ran that story has apologized and acknowledged it was not factually accurate.

It is wise to be cautious with these stories.... the media often runs with things that they have not confirmed.... and very often, years later, that speculation is assumed to be fact.

Forum List

Back