CNN Poll: Public wants Congress to keep working on health care

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Nearly six in ten Americans want Congress to continue working on health care reform bills that have been passed through various committees, according to a new national poll.

Full results (pdf)

Fifty-nine percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey say lawmakers should continue working on the legislation, a rise of 6 points since August. But only a quarter say those bills should be passed pretty much as is, with a third suggesting that Congress should make major changes. The poll also indicates that one in four say lawmakers should start from scratch and 15 percent want Congress to stop all work on health care reform.

The survey's release Friday morning comes one day before the full House of Representatives is expected to hold a floor vote on the Democrats health care reform bill.

"Most of the Democrats interviewed support some form of heath care reform, but the divisions within congressional Democrats are reflected in the party nationwide," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Forty percent of the Democratic rank and file want Congress to approve the proposals that have passed through committee with only minor changes. But an equal number of Democrats nationwide want Congress to make major changes to those proposals before approving them."

According to the poll, 45 percent support President Barack Obama's proposals to reform health care, with 53 percent opposed to his plans. This is the first time since the president's early September prime time address a joint session of Congress on health care that a majority of people questioned in a CNN survey oppose Obama's proposals.

"Six in ten independents say they oppose Obama's health care proposals," says Holland. "That's a nine point increase since October."
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - CNN Poll: Public wants Congress to keep working on health care « - Blogs from CNN.com

Doesn't matter what 'we the people' want. For congress:

The tick tock of the clock is painful
all sane and logical
They want to tear it off the wall

Inside Out, Eve 6

all sane and logical

Inside Out, Eve 6

You guys are pompous dicks who think your worldview is representative of the majority of Americans. Newsflash: if they were, President McCain and his Republican congress would be passing their plans to reduce American health care standards to third world quality and restricting internet access.

all sane and logical

Inside Out, Eve 6

You guys are pompous dicks who think your worldview is representative of the majority of Americans. Newsflash: if they were, President McCain and his Republican congress would be passing their plans to reduce American health care standards to third world quality and restricting internet access.

Did you read the OP, numbnuts? Our worldview IS representative of the American people. It is dumshits like you and Pelosi who are out of touch.

all sane and logical

Inside Out, Eve 6

Did you read the OP, numbnuts? Our worldview IS representative of the American people. It is dumshits like you and Pelosi who are out of touch.

The poll quoted in the OP says that people would like the debate to go on longer. That's not your position. Your position is that reform is unnecessary. The reality is a majority of Americans favor the public option, favor portability of coverage, and favor requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions.

The poll quoted in the OP says that people would like the debate to go on longer. That's not your position. Your position is that reform is unnecessary. The reality is a majority of Americans favor the public option, favor portability of coverage, and favor requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Thank you for telling me what I believe.
It is of course untrue. It is untrue of Republicans in general, who have their own excellent health care bill.
But keep believing the talking points. It's Hope and Change, baby!!

It is of course untrue. It is untrue of Republicans in general, who have their own excellent health care bill.

The Republicans don't have a health care bill. They have another round of handouts to the insurance industry, which slightly expands coverage and makes coverage slightly cheaper by completely gutting regulations on the insurance industry.

I'm an Independent and I think it needs a lot more work. I also think Congress needs a lot more work.

Vote the whole lot out in 2010.

The Republicans don't have a health care bill. They have another round of handouts to the insurance industry, which slightly expands coverage and makes coverage slightly cheaper by completely gutting regulations on the insurance industry.

Keep posting it, baby.
You forgot that Republicans represent the rich. That Republicans want to return to segregation.
Any other talking points I missed?

The asskicking the Dems got in the recent election should have been a signal to slow down

Keep posting it, baby.
You forgot that Republicans represent the rich. That Republicans want to return to segregation.

Talking points are your specialization. Take a look at the CBO report on the GOP bill. The reduced costs comes from the policies having a lower value.

Keep posting it, baby.

You forgot to throw the KKK in there for good measure

Keep posting it, baby.

We want to melt the planet with deadly CO2

Keep posting it, baby.

Talking points are your specialization. Take a look at the CBO report on the GOP bill. The reduced costs comes from the policies having a lower value.

Yeah. I forgot the CBO. AN agency that says you can pay the deficit off if you tax everyone at 100%.
The CBO made assumptions that are simply not true,like Congress will cut Medicare funding. They will do no such thing. Never have, never will. They will restore the cuts the next session.
The bill is also front weighted to taxes start immediately but health insurance wont come in until 2014.
There is no honesty in thebill or this administration.

Forum List

Back