CNN Poll: Americans want KSM tried in military court

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Two-thirds of Americans disagree with the Obama administration's decision to try Khalid Sheik Mohammed in a civilian court rather than a military court, according to a new national poll.

But six in 10 people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday say that the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks should be tried in the United States, as the administration plans to do, rather than at a U.S. facility in another country.

The poll indicates that 64 percent believe Mohammed should be tried in military court, with 34 percent suggesting that he face trial in civilian court. Six in 10 people questioned say Mohammed should be tried stateside, with 37 percent calling for the trial to take place at a U.S. facility in another country.

"The decision to bring Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in front of a civilian court is universally unpopular - even a majority of Democrats and liberals say that he should be tried by military authorities," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Despite that, most Americans say that he will get a fair trial in the U.S."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - CNN Poll: Americans want KSM tried in military court « - Blogs from CNN.com

First we say that they are not soldiers but civilians, and thus do not get the protection of the Geneva Convention.

Now we say that they should be tried in a military court and not a civilian court.

The majority don't want government run healthcare either..... Since when did the elected listen to the voters once the election was over?

Please can we just stop electing idiots?

The majority don't want government run healthcare either..... Since when did the elected listen to the voters once the election was over?

Please can we just stop electing idiots?
No can do. Liberals like to be equal to their politicans. I wanted to stop, I just couldn't.:lol:

Unless they short circuit the Holder decision quickly, this thing is going to be a complete fiasco for Obama, and thus, for America.

How in the hell does one prosecute criminals in a civilian court who were not even been read their Miranda Rights at the time of capture?

It just seems very odd...

First we say that they are not soldiers but civilians, and thus do not get the protection of the Geneva Convention.

Now we say that they should be tried in a military court and not a civilian court.

Enemy combatants is not the same (legally speaking) as enemy soldiers. Technically this means they are not civilians and since they are technically not soldiers of a specific country they are not guaranteed the same protections under the Geneva Convention. What's so hard to understand about this?

Enemy combatants is not the same (legally speaking) as enemy soldiers. Technically this means they are not civilians and since they are technically not soldiers of a specific country they are not guaranteed the same protections under the Geneva Convention. What's so hard to understand about this?

Thanks, it's all clear to me now :eusa_angel:

Color me 'shocked', not! Lights burning in the WH tonight!

To my mind, it's a little more complicated than that. If KSM had been captured on the battlefield in Afghanistan or Iraq, he would clearly have been an illegal enemy combatant, not entitled to the protections of the Geneva conventions and clearly subject to prosecution in a military court, but actually, he is an illegal enemy combatant in the context of the war on terror, so if you believe there is such a war, then he should be tried in a military court, but Obama has declared there is no war on terror, so in Obamaland, he is just a murderer.

I think that what this poll shows is that the majority of Americans believe we are engaged in a war on terror and that the US is a part of the battlefield in that war despite what Obama has said.

Personally, I think he should be sentenced to a lifetime of rabbinical arguments.

It worked in Guantanamo.

To my mind, it's a little more complicated than that. If KSM had been captured on the battlefield in Afghanistan or Iraq, he would clearly have been an illegal enemy combatant, not entitled to the protections of the Geneva conventions and clearly subject to prosecution in a military court, but actually, he is an illegal enemy combatant in the context of the war on terror, so if you believe there is such a war, then he should be tried in a military court, but Obama has declared there is no war on terror, so in Obamaland, he is just a murderer.

I think that what this poll shows is that the majority of Americans believe we are engaged in a war on terror and that the US is a part of the battlefield in that war despite what Obama has said.

I agree. I was just addressing what Sunni Man wrote.

well thats the difference

the right thinks we are at war with these lunatics and they should be prevented from any further acts

the left thinks they are mere criminals and should be punished when they commit a crime

* KSM has admitted to being the main planner or mastermind behind the 9-11-01 attacks.
* The Richard Reid shoe bombing attempt to blow up an airliner over the Atlantic Ocean
* The Bali nightclub bombing in Indonesia
*Tthe 1993 World Trade Center bombing

* On March 15, 2007, the Pentagon released a statement that Mohammed had confessed to the murder.[43] The statement quoted Mohammed as saying, "I decapitated with my blessed right hand the head of the American Jew, Daniel Pearl, in the city of Karachi, Pakistan. For those who would like to confirm, there are pictures of me on the Internet holding his head."

Now with knowing all this, we also know that the Supreme Court stopped the Military tribunals and our Congress passed the 2006 Military Commissions Act. The Supreme Court then gave the Tribunals their blessing. Now after millions of dollars spent and God only knows how many man hours, This half assed community organizer thinks he knows better than everyone else and stopped the Military Tribunals.

If I wasn't certain of it before, I am 100% positive now; Mr Obama needs to get the hell out of Washington. And the sooner the better.

Two-thirds of Americans disagree with the Obama administration's decision to try Khalid Sheik Mohammed in a civilian court rather than a military court, according to a new national poll.

But six in 10 people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday say that the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks should be tried in the United States, as the administration plans to do, rather than at a U.S. facility in another country.

The poll indicates that 64 percent believe Mohammed should be tried in military court, with 34 percent suggesting that he face trial in civilian court. Six in 10 people questioned say Mohammed should be tried stateside, with 37 percent calling for the trial to take place at a U.S. facility in another country.

"The decision to bring Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in front of a civilian court is universally unpopular - even a majority of Democrats and liberals say that he should be tried by military authorities," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Despite that, most Americans say that he will get a fair trial in the U.S."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - CNN Poll: Americans want KSM tried in military court « - Blogs from CNN.com

Military Court is fine in the U.S. as a General Court Martial type deal...but whatever happened to the..."they aren't POWs" stuff?

Forum List

Back