Cnn On The Republican Debate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deepthunk, Aug 29, 2011.

1. deepthunk

deepthunk Justadude with a keyboard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55

I just read an opinion on cnn.com I would like to share. Are Republicans at war with reality?
    It’s a fairly enjoyable read mostly about the policies expressed by the G.O.P. hopefuls during Thursday’s debate. There is one small point I would disagree with the author on however. Are Republicans at war with reality? - CNN.com
    In the op/ed, John Avlon writes: “The lowest moment for responsible governance occurred when all the candidates on stage raised their hands to say that they would reject a 10-to-1 spending cut to tax hike split as a deal to reduce the deficit. That is a sign of a party that is being held intellectually captive by its most extreme activist elements”.
    Frankly I think everyone should be clear on this one point if nothing else, conservatives (both republican and teaparty) are being held “intellectually captive” by their billionaire puppet masters and the corporations who buy and sell politicians in Washington like cattle at a meat market. They didn’t care what the American people thought; I doubt they care what some activists think either (that is as long as fox news can keep conning people into voting for them).
    I think when we sit here and pretend like conservative fiscal policies aren’t written by and handed down to them from the Koch brothers and other like minded top earners, it lends both conservatives and their ludicrous economic policies legitimacy they do not deserve.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,343
    Look DeepOne:

I'm not a Repub or a Dem, but I'm also not "played like a puppet" by anyone at any corporation.. That's ridiculous to blame the sum total incompetentcy and corruption of Congress on Heinz Ketchup..

And the hand-raising incident that you cite is NOT just dogmatic spite. It reflects the serious reality that Congress has NEVER followed thru with the promised budget cuts after getting a tax hike or someother negiotiated benefit.

In fact, if you think back to the Budget continuation debate (not the more recent spending cap), even the Tea Partiers were suckered into believing that Congress was gonna cough up 60Bill in cuts. Now it appears it was more like 0.8Bill.

If the question had been phrased "would you support 10 to 1 IF -- the cuts were enacted and verified FIRST" -- you probably would have gotten different results. It's Charlie Brown and the football, not just partisian idiotcy...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Oh joy... a new libtard mouth breather for the board. Goody!

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Oh, good grief. Another idiot who whines about 'billionaire puppet masters' on one side, while giving the other a free pass.

Twit.

5. deepthunk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55

Actually I’m neither liberal nor conservative, I’m a registered independent and my opinions reflect that. I’m not offended though, I have noticed some people are quick to label one as the opposition the moment ones opinions disagree with their own.
    I have been known to criticize or support policies from either side, and I’m often labeled as a conservative when I disagree with liberal policies and a liberal when I disagree with conservatives. I suppose its just par for the course anytime one engages in political discussions.

6. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,300
    What economic policies of conservatives do you find "ludicrous"?

7. deepthunk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55

I’m not trying to blame all the corruption on billionaire lobbying. However It is a fact that the super rich have been spending hundreds of millions on campaign donations with the vast majority going to conservatives, and conservative fiscal policy clearly shows this.

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Yeah... someone claiming puppet masters and Fox working for Republican votes is a balanced independent :rolleyes:

Time will tell.. but I know exactly what I would place my money on for a bet on where this newbie's political affiliation sits

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Off hand, there is no instance, that I know of, where congress raised taxes and then followed through with the spending cuts.

And since the hopefull know this themselves, they wisely voted against the tax increase.

It was a loaded question with no right answer.

They either stoopidly said yes and the sheep bleated that they are unreasonable, or voted no and got shit on for saying they would raise taxes.

Take note, you fell for it and are spreading it.

10. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Then why do dem billionaires even exist?