CNN/MSNBC FreeFall...

Discussion in 'Media' started by Sinatra, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Latest Q1 ratings are out and the carnage at CNN and MSNBC is astoundingly bad.

Fox News on the other hand set a new best-ever record, and continues to dominate the cable news market at every hour of the day...

____

The Carnage Continues at CNN

CNN continued what has become a precipitous decline in ratings for its prime-time programs in the first quarter of 2010, with its main hosts losing almost half their viewers in a year.

The trend in news ratings for the first three months of this year is all up for one network, the Fox News Channel, which enjoyed its best quarter ever in ratings, and down for both MSNBC and CNN.
    CNN had a slightly worse quarter in the fourth quarter of 2009, but the last three months have included compelling news events, like the earthquake in Haiti and the battle over health care, and CNN, which emphasizes its hard news coverage, was apparently unable to benefit.

The losses at CNN continued a pattern in place for much of the last year, as the network trailed its competitors in every prime-time hour. (CNN still easily beats MSNBC in the daytime hours, but those are less lucrative in advertising money, and both networks are far behind Fox News at all hours.)

The Carnage Continues atCNN - Real Clear Politics – TIME.com
    _______

Still Surging: Fox News Has Best Quarter In Network History

Fox News had their best year of all time in 2009. Now that we’ve finished the first quarter of 2010, it’s clear FNC is showing no signs of letting up – they just finished their best quarter ever, in total day total viewers.

It was also the second highest rated quarter ever in prime time total viewers. More details and analysis after the jump.

While Fox News continues to see record ratings, their cable news competitors are dropping off even more year-to-year. In the A25-54 demographic during prime time, FNC was up 16%, while CNN dropped 42%, MSNBC was down 22% and HLN was down 40%. In total viewers prime time, FNC was up 3% while the rest declined as well (CNN – 39%, MSNBC – 15%, HLN – 24%).

Still Surging: Fox News Has Best Quarter In Network History | Mediaite

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492

This is completely unimportant.

ABSOLUTELY no one cares.

3. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Of course nobody cares, the ratings are proof of that.

Someone will be along directly and tell us that this is why we need the "fairness doctrine".

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,720
    We don't need a "fairness doctrine". What we really need is a news channel, any news channel, that will tell us the facts in a truthful way and let us make our own minds up about what we just heard. I hate for some news bozo to tell me what I should be thinking.
    Forget a slanted view, either to the left or to the right. Just stick to the facts and let the news spill out as it will. I'm bright enough to figure out most things for myself. Well, with the exception of that Rubic's Cube thing. I never could get that done correctly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    The idea that popularity or non-popularity of a news channel makes the political slant of that news channel more valid is preposterous...yet I'm sure that's the intent behind the OP.

The logic is basically the same as the hackneyed motto "a billion Chinese people eat rice, so it must be good." Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right.

There are waaaay too many spurious variables in that equation.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And why should I care about CNN/MSNBC ratings. I watch neither of them. Nor Fox Nor ABC, etc "news".

7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    This is the competitive marketplace at work. You produce garbage, people don't buy your product. You provide something people want, they will beat a path to your door.

Someone needs to sit down with these folks and rework the business model.

8. Vanquish

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    There you go. Applying flawed logic in an attempt to insult someone (garbage comment).

There are so many variables that go into something like this that it means nothing.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Sadly that has become the business model for "news" in the USA.
    And that IS the problem.

10. Vanquish

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    News became entertainment the moment television went 24 hours. Sure there was entertainment on radio...but the news was NEWS (i.e. fact-based).

With the pressure to fill the channel 24 hours a day (and the pressure to keep that profitable)...came the decline of television news.

Just my opinion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1