CNN: Montana now a toss up!

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
CNN's new Electoral College map, updated Sunday morning, moves Montana from "lean John McCain" to "toss up." The move is partially based on our new CNN Poll of Polls in Montana, compiled Friday, which suggests McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, has a one-point lead over his Democratic rival Barack Obama, 46 percent to 45 percent. Nine percent of voters are undecided.

"The fact that Montana is up for grabs has to be extremely unsettling for the McCain campaign," said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. "Montana's usually a reliably Republican state in presidential campaigns. It's been won by the Democrats only twice in the past half century. If you're a Republican and you're fighting for Montana in the last few days of the campaign, you're not in good shape."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Even reliably red Montana in play as Election Day looms - Blogs from CNN.com

CNN's new Electoral College map, updated Sunday morning, moves Montana from "lean John McCain" to "toss up." The move is partially based on our new CNN Poll of Polls in Montana, compiled Friday, which suggests McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, has a one-point lead over his Democratic rival Barack Obama, 46 percent to 45 percent. Nine percent of voters are undecided.

"The fact that Montana is up for grabs has to be extremely unsettling for the McCain campaign," said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. "Montana's usually a reliably Republican state in presidential campaigns. It's been won by the Democrats only twice in the past half century. If you're a Republican and you're fighting for Montana in the last few days of the campaign, you're not in good shape."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Even reliably red Montana in play as Election Day looms - Blogs from CNN.com

LMAO.. Maybe this is what the McCain campaign meant when they said the polls would tighten..

It's only a toss up because the RCP Average is within the margin of error...

I don't see Montana not going to McCain.

Ron Paul is on the ballot in MT.

If he and Barr can combine to get 4-8% of the vote there Obama could squeak it out.

"It's only a toss up because the RCP Average is within the margin of error...
I don't see Montana not going to McCain."

:disagree: Obama is the man here in Big Sky Country!

Last edited:
It's only a toss up because the RCP Average is within the margin of error...

I don't see Montana not going to McCain.

Within the margin of error is what defines a toss-up. The fact is Montana like the rest of the traditional red states are supposed to be double digits for the republican. This is bad news for the republicans any way you slice it.

Within the margin of error is what defines a toss-up. The fact is Montana like the rest of the traditional red states are supposed to be double digits for the republican. This is bad news for the republicans any way you slice it.

I know what being within the margin of error means. I'm also talking abourt realistically calling it a toss-up. I think the trajectory of the polls is still in mccain's favor, though playing defense in one's home territory never bodes well.

Forum List

Back