CNN finds there's more to the Ayers story

PLEASE show us where Obama and Ayers "HUNG OUT" that term would indicate more than a passing professional relationship, to which there is no documented evidence.

Stop making shit up Andrew.

Sorry, hang out was a poor choice of words

Attend mutual events with Ayers on several occasions

Better?

Sorry, hang out was a poor choice of words

Attend mutual events with Ayers on several occasions

Better?

it's better but still indicates that Obama and Ayers intentionally sought each other out to attend these functions together instead of the reality that they both sat on the Annenberg foundation and therefore, in that capacity, ended up at events together.

I'm sure there were others in attendance with Ayers too.

I'm not sure why it's a bigger deal that Obama was there when Republicans have openly said they didn't have a problem sitting on the board with Ayers themselves.

this is much ado about nothing and a total waste of time.

The more McCain & Co try to distract from the real issues, the worse he will do in this election. NO ONE cares about this shit Andrew...

Seriously, the Clintons already tried this. It didn't work even back then.

Oh please. I've been threatened in here and one of your buddies posted someone should kill Sarah Palin.

But I think it's funny you identify yourself as a "terrorist lover".

oh allie...you stupid bitch... I don't foam at the mouth over some guy who hasn't committed a crime in over 40 years...if that's a terrorist lover...okay I'll play along.

:cuckoo:

Hmmm...let the abortion bombing suspects start holding fund raisers for McCain and see how she likes it.

It's not about what he did...it's about what he continues to say about it. He continues to say that he wishes...not WISHED, as in the past...but WISHES he had killed more people.

That's Ayers now. He was Obama's ticket into politics. Woo hoo. A proud day for Obama when a fellow America-hating piece of shit decided to support him in his run at the white house.

Hmmm...let the abortion bombing suspects start holding fund raisers for McCain and see how she likes it.

It's not about what he did...it's about what he continues to say about it. He continues to say that he wishes...not WISHED, as in the past...but WISHES he had killed more people.

That's Ayers now. He was Obama's ticket into politics. Woo hoo. A proud day for Obama when a fellow America-hating piece of shit decided to support him in his run at the white house.

McCain Voted To Protect Domestic Terrorists Who Attack Abortion Clinics

oopppsss you dont know how close you are to the truth.

guess what

Voting against making anti-choice violence a federal crime. As the Jed Report notes, McCain voted in 1993 and 1994 against making “bombings, arson and blockades at abortion clinics, and shootings and threats of violence against doctors and nurses who perform abortions” federal crimes.

– Opposing Colorado’s “Bubble Law.” McCain said he opposed Colorado’s “Bubble Law,” which prohibited abortion protesters from getting within 8 feet of women entering clinics [Denver Post, 2/27/00]. The law was later upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

– Voting to allow those fined for violence at clinics to avoid penalties by declaring bankruptcy. NARAL Pro-Chioce America notes that McCain “voted to allow perpetrators of violence or harassment at reproductive-health clinics to avoid paying the fines assessed against them for their illegal acts by declaring bankruptcy.”

Last edited:
so according to you, once a certain time frame passes then he is a good guy again?

if he hasn't killed anyone and he has worked to become a contributing member of society then yes, I could view them as a "good guy" who made mistakes in his past.

If you're going to insinuate that Osama Bin Laden could ever be considered a good guy go piss up a rope. :cuckoo:

if he hasn't killed anyone and he has worked to become a contributing member of society then yes, I could view them as a "good guy" who made mistakes in his past.

If you're going to insinuate that Osama Bin Laden could ever be considered a good guy go piss up a rope. :cuckoo:

Wait...Osama didn't kill anyone, did he? He was just directing others...so I guess in your eyes yes, you could view him as a "good guy" who has made mistakes in his past....

Even if the "good guy" continued to claim he wished he'd killed more people, maintains a website for terrorist support, and wrote a book detailing and justifying setting bombs?

Fox Poll: Ayers Attacks Not Making A Dent

These numbers, buried in the internals of a new Fox News poll out today, are the first time a national poll has tried to gauge the impact of Barack Obama's association with William Ayers. And the numbers are pretty bad for McCain:

There has been some discussion of Barack Obama's relationship with the former radical activist William Ayers. Because Ayers is linked to plots to bomb the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol in the 1970s, and because Ayres recently said he wished he had done more, some people say Obama's association with Ayers calls into question his judgment. Does Obama's connection with Ayers make you less likely to vote for him for president or does it not really make a difference to your vote?

Less Likely 32%

No Difference 61%

Strikingly, the numbers are worse for McCain among independents: Only 29% say the Ayers association makes them less likely to vote for Obama, and more than twice as many -- 64% -- say it makes no difference. The data suggests that the vast majority of the respondents saying it makes them less likely to vote for Obama are Republicans, who probably wouldn't have supported him anyway.

Meanwhile, the poll suggests that McCain's attacks could be blowing back on him: A majority -- 51% -- say he's running a negative campaign, as compared to only 21% who say that about Obama

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/101008_foxpoll.pdf

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Fox Poll: Nearly Two-Thirds Say Ayers Makes No Difference To Their Vote

Even if the "good guy" continued to claim he wished he'd killed more people, maintains a website for terrorist support, and wrote a book detailing and justifying setting bombs?

And republicans have a many ties to him as Obama has

Ok, people are just going to keep harping on this aren't they.

First, the weather underground was a little known piece of American History before this mess, especially for the younger generation. Probably very few people here had any idea who the hell Bill Ayers was, and there are probably very few who would be any better informed had you told them he was a member of the weather underground prior to all of this.

So, Barak Obama leaves college and begins working with kids in poverty in Chicago. His is asked to serve on a board. Bill Ayers was also asked to serve on this board. This organization is funded by the well-known republican supporters, the Annenberg family. At this point, the extent of Obama's knowledge about Bill Ayers is probably that he is a highly respected professor of education from the University of Illinois at Chicago, who got his doctorate in education from Columbia. I have seen nothing indicating that his radical views or history were something of which Obama would have been aware.

Forward to 1995. Bill Ayers hosts a getting to know you coffee sit down at his house. Barak Obama attends, making social contacts which it could be said may have helped him launch his political career. At this point, there is still nothing to indicate that Obama would know of Ayers radical past or whether or not he still held radical views. I have working relationships with my colleagues, but I do not know a great deal about their personal histories or philosophies other than whatever topic we are collaborating on. There is no reason to assume Obama's situation was any different.

Now to April 2001. Bill Ayers contributes a whopping $200 to Obama's re-election fund to state senate. Both at the time are serving on the Board of the Woods Foundation, another organization whose goal is to improve education for underprivileged kids. September of 2001, Bill Ayers gives several interviews prior to the release of his memoirs including one in which he makes comments that appear to indicate he still harbors radical ideas and supports violent means to achieve his goals. However, also prior to the release of his memoirs on September 10, he contacted a lawyer who was injured by a WU bomb and offered an apology which the lawyer described as remorseful. This seems inconsistent with one of the incendiary statements he made "I don't regret setting bombs", and "I wish we had done more" which was taken to mean: plant more bombs. As quickly September 15, 2001 Ayers wrote to the Chicago Tribune indicating that though he doesn't deny making those statements, as presented they do not convey the meaning of what he was trying to say. He has maintained since then that he was trying to say that he wished more could have been done to end the war in Vietnam.

He has made statements several other times that could be interpreted as showing a lack of remorse, though he maintains that he has never meant to imply he wishes they had set more bombs. Most recently in June of 2008 Ayers stated that he condemns all forms of terrorism.

Setting aside Ayers claim that his statements were misinterpreted, the information seems to indicate that these revelations of his personal views were made long after the gathering at his home which Obama attended, and even after Ayers donated to the Obama campaign. These statements surfaced in September of 2001 and Obama left the Woods board in 2002, and by most accounts had very little contact with Ayers since 2002.

So, if you want to bring up the question of judgment, I request that you please provide some evidence that Obama was A) aware of Ayers past radical activities, and B) that he was aware that Ayers still had views that support those activities prior to September 2001.

Otherwise, you are accusing him of poor judgment for working on a organization to support education of underprivileged kids alongside a respected professor of education. And the argument does not need to go any further since that is hardly the hallmark of poor judgment.

Furthermore, explain why McCain's connections to the U.S. Council for World Freedom are any less significant.

Forum List

Back