CNN defense in Nick Sandman trial is that they broadcast opinions, not facts.

[

Where did CNN (in this case) declare Smirk-Boi to be "a racist"? Got a link?
"(CNN)Let's be absolutely clear about something here: Whatever else may have been said about it or our country's reactions to it, the racist disrespect of Nathan Phillips, a Native American elder, by Nick Sandmann and his MAGA-hat clad classmates of Covington Catholic High School at the Lincoln Memorial is nothing new."

America mocks and dehumanizes natives at every turn (opinion) - CNN

Thanks for including the word "opinion" right in the title. That's one down.

Number two would be that the adjective "racist" modifies the noun "disrespect", in other words describes the action, not the person. It's a bit of a leap to claim to know the root of the kid's motivation, that's impossible without reading his mind. Safer to say he was just being a dick, as 16-year-olds like to do.
The lawsuit win says otherwise.

Lawsuits can't "say otherwise". A lawsuit is a claim. It's up to the resolution of the suit to decide the 'otherwise'.

Moreover, this isn't part of a lawsuit. It's a link a poster brought here.
The win says all it needs to say.

[

Where did CNN (in this case) declare Smirk-Boi to be "a racist"? Got a link?
"(CNN)Let's be absolutely clear about something here: Whatever else may have been said about it or our country's reactions to it, the racist disrespect of Nathan Phillips, a Native American elder, by Nick Sandmann and his MAGA-hat clad classmates of Covington Catholic High School at the Lincoln Memorial is nothing new."

Number two would be that the adjective "racist" modifies the noun "disrespect", in other words describes the action, not the person. It's a bit of a leap to claim to know the root of the kid's motivation, that's impossible without reading his mind. Safer to say he was just being a dick, as 16-year-olds like to do.

Lawsuits can't "say otherwise". A lawsuit is a claim. It's up to the resolution of the suit to decide the 'otherwise'.

The... "win"?

The... "win"?
Yeah, he Nick Sandman won the law suit right ?

The... "win"?

Nnnnnope.

The... "win"?

Nnnnnope.
Ok, thanks for the update, but I thought I saw a headline where he had won the law suit.

The... "win"?

Nnnnnope.
Ok, thanks for the update, but ai thought I saw a headline where he had won the law suit.

Haven't seen that. I saw where a WaPo suit was thrown out and where a CNN was settled with undisclosed terms. And then another suit against a Tweeter that a dishonest OP tried to tell us was a CNN employee, but his link didn't have a source so that's still an unknown. That's all I know about dat.

Any and all of these suits, if they're for defamation, must show evidence of that defamation and how it was disseminated into the public. I challenged anyone and everyone last January (2019) to post any such evidence and have yet to see any. They can't make the case that some medium knowingly posted false facts and then be unable to come up with them.

Of course that gets deep into the difference between public opinion as influenced by Twitterverse theories, and factual news as reported by news media. I get the impression that a whole lotta wags here can't grok that difference.

Last edited:

The... "win"?

Nnnnnope.
Ok, thanks for the update, but ai thought I saw a headline where he had won the law suit.

Haven't seen that. I saw where a WaPo suit was thrown out and where a CNN was settled with undisclosed terms. And then another suit against a Tweeter that a dishonest OP tried to tell us was a CNN employee, but his link didn't have a source so that's still an unknown. That's all I know about dat.
The suit is for $250 mill right ? I thought I saw an Op saying he won. Hmmmmm.

The... "win"?

Nnnnnope.

The suit is for $250 mill right ? I thought I saw an Op saying he won. Hmmmmm.

I'm still not sure where they got that figure. I think it might be the total of all suits. I asked but didn't get an answer.

Forum List

Back