Clunkers program could drive used car prices up

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Hundreds of thousands of "clunkers" headed for scrappers may cause already rising prices for used cars to head even higher, dealers and market analysts warn.

The popular cash-for-clunkers program, extended by Congress last week with $2 billion more in federal incentives, requires that all the old fuel guzzlers traded in are scrapped — not resold. That means up to 750,000 vehicles will never find their way into the hands of another owner. Many are at the end of their useful lives, but others, with years of life left in them, normally would be resold.

Clunkers program could drive used car prices up - USATODAY.com

This is one reason why the government should have scrapped the Cash for Clunkers nonsense. How does an increase in the price of used cars help low or middle income families who can't afford a new car?

This is one reason why the government should have scrapped the Cash for Clunkers nonsense. How does an increase in the price of used cars help low or middle income families who can't afford a new car?

By offering them up to $4500.00 for their old one? Let's be honest, if we are TRULY concerned about the "middle income families who can't afford a new car", what's the chance of them getting $4500.00 for it as a traditional trade-in?

By offering them up to $4500.00 for their old one? Let's be honest, if we are TRULY concerned about the "middle income families who can't afford a new car", what's the chance of them getting $4500.00 for it as a traditional trade-in?

Alright, looking at Ford's website it appears that their cheapest car is the Ford Focus-Sedan.

Ford Vehicle Showroom

Let's do the math.

A family turns in their clunker for $4500 but they must buy a new car and they settle for the Ford Focus-Sedan. Now Ford's website prices the Focus at $15,995, so they put their $4500 towards the new Focus of course. They now owe $11,495 for the Ford Focus-Sedan. For a low or middle-income family, taking on over $11,000 in debt is not a good financial decision. A used car is a much better decision, financially, but now the price of those used cars are being driven up by government intervention in the market. So I ask again, how does paying more for a used car, or buying a new car they can't afford, help these people?

A used car is a much better decision, financially, but now the price of those used cars are being driven up by government intervention in the market.

Please show me an <$11,000.00 used car with a new car warranty.

A used car is a much better decision, financially, but now the price of those used cars are being driven up by government intervention in the market.

That's the tradeoff between a new and used car. The point was that for a family that can't afford to take on $11,000+ of debt then a used car is obviously a better choice for them. Would the new car with the nice warranty be nice? Of course. But if you can't afford it you can't afford it. Therefore, the Cash for Clunkers program hurts those that still can't afford a new car by raising the prices of used cars.

Good call Kev but I suspect you're trying to argue math with a guy who has a religious belief that 2+2 =5.

The cheapest available new car that I know of is a KIA at $8900+. My wife doesn't work for money I make just under 30k a year. When I buy a car I usually pay around 1,000 dollars. And I get rid of a car when I can no longer find anyone who can fix the car I currently have. I still owe 4400 on the Kia which still leaves me with larger payments than I care to make.

Alright, looking at Ford's website it appears that their cheapest car is the Ford Focus-Sedan.

Ford Vehicle Showroom

Let's do the math.

A family turns in their clunker for $4500 but they must buy a new car and they settle for the Ford Focus-Sedan. Now Ford's website prices the Focus at $15,995, so they put their $4500 towards the new Focus of course. They now owe $11,495 for the Ford Focus-Sedan. For a low or middle-income family, taking on over $11,000 in debt is not a good financial decision. A used car is a much better decision, financially, but now the price of those used cars are being driven up by government intervention in the market. So I ask again, how does paying more for a used car, or buying a new car they can't afford, help these people?

Do you know how many used cars are sold a year and what percentage the 750k or let's say 400k in resalable condition would have been to the total used cars sold a year?

I am trying to figure out what percentage these clunkers are to the total used car business?

Anyway, on your scenario above...NO ONE IS FORCING the individual to take the cash for clunkers program are they? don't individuals have free choice in this country?

What the poor family could do is SELL THEIR CLUNKER on the free market, and then buy another used car with it....

IF WHAT YOU SAY is correct and used car prices will rise because of the shortage, then this "poor person" can sell his own car and GET MORE FOR IT, before he buys the newer used car.... He will get more for his old one, and pay more for the newer used car he buys...but it would be a wash.

Care

What the poor family should be able to do is get $4,500 for selling their clunker to the government and then be able to do whatever the hell they want to with the money.

Hundreds of thousands of "clunkers" headed for scrappers may cause already rising prices for used cars to head even higher, dealers and market analysts warn.

The popular cash-for-clunkers program, extended by Congress last week with $2 billion more in federal incentives, requires that all the old fuel guzzlers traded in are scrapped — not resold. That means up to 750,000 vehicles will never find their way into the hands of another owner. Many are at the end of their useful lives, but others, with years of life left in them, normally would be resold.

Clunkers program could drive used car prices up - USATODAY.com

A reasonable complaint, I think, Kevin.

yes it seems obvious to me that this program is going to drive up the value of clunkers somewhat.

However, ssince many of those clunkers are currently driven by people who cannot afford to trade them in, and since I suspect that number exceeds the numbers of people who can trade them in, I think the problem (while valid) won't be significant.

What the poor family should be able to do is get $4,500 for selling their clunker to the government and then be able to do whatever the hell they want to with the money.

not a bad idea! It won't help the new car business as much as this did, but it certainly would help the used car business. because all those clunkards turned in individually, will have to be replaced.

care

and if you car is better than a clunker the government should give us all about 6k per car.
It's only fair.

and then they could start giving us rebates for every mile under 12,000 a year we drove.

people with no cars----a flat 5k a year to cover mass trans, bike repair, new shoes etc.

saving energy will make us all rich !!!

and if you car is better than a clunker the government should give us all about 6k per car.
It's only fair.

and then they could start giving us rebates for every mile under 12,000 a year we drove.

people with no cars----a flat 5k a year to cover mass trans, bike repair, new shoes etc.

saving energy will make us all rich !!!

DAMN! Not enough coffee yet! I should have known where you were coming from on the first post! ;)

care

The point was that for a family that can't afford to take on $11,000+ of debt then a used car is obviously a better choice for them.

Obviously? Are you serious? How does a used car WITHOUT a warranty help the owner when said used car breaks down and becomes useless? Not only is the "middle income families who can't afford a new car" now stuck paying for POS car, but they can no longer use it as transportation? Obviously? Please....

That's the tradeoff between a new and used car. The point was that for a family that can't afford to take on $11,000+ of debt then a used car is obviously a better choice for them. Would the new car with the nice warranty be nice? Of course. But if you can't afford it you can't afford it. Therefore, the Cash for Clunkers program hurts those that still can't afford a new car by raising the prices of used cars.

Kevin bro.........wtf is it about lefties that they have no capability of assessing levels of tradeoffs, ie: ability to think on the margin. Check out post #13 by VA YANK............its some kind of mental fcukk up, Im telling you.:cuckoo:
Ive always been fascinated about that:doubt:

Last edited:
So what good are we doing for the environment if the clunker is NOT taken off the road but is simply being driven by someone else?

I'd also need to see some real evidence to support the claim that the program is driving up the costs of used cars before just accepting it as a fact. And a newspapoer article saying this "may" happen just ain't gonna do it for me. An Asteroid "MAY" hit the planet tomorrow, but I'm not gonna head to the bunker until I have a little more evidence.

Last edited:
The point was that for a family that can't afford to take on $11,000+ of debt then a used car is obviously a better choice for them.

Obviously? Are you serious? How does a used car WITHOUT a warranty help the owner when said used car breaks down and becomes useless? Not only is the "middle income families who can't afford a new car" now stuck paying for POS car, but they can no longer use it as transportation? Obviously? Please....

Fixing a broken car is cheaper than buying new. If your car breaks you're only without transportation until it's fixed.

My 19 year old just bought her first car. She searched for about 5 weeks and found a '99 Corolla w/90K for $4500. She put down $1,200 and is paying us back the rest of it. It'll take her awhile before she's done.

My brother wanted to know why we didn't just sell her my husband's '04 Corolla (we bought it new, it has 55K on it) and just buy a new car? Because we can't afford a new car, because we don't know how we'd make those payments if my husband lost his job, because we finally don't have any car payments and firmly believe in buying the best we can afford and taking care of it - which is exactly what we did.

If someone was going to buy a new car anyway, or can afford a new car, the cash for clunkers program is icing on the cake for them (like jsanders). If you can't afford the payments of a new car . . . why would you take on the debt?

Who the fuck decided that everyone in the middle class must buy a fucking used car during this effort to stimulate the economy? Are used cars going to stop being sold this year? I swear to fucking god. some of you people will bitch and cry that a golden apple doesn't taste like fucking steak.

Fixing a broken car is cheaper than buying new. If your car breaks you're only without transportation until it's fixed.

So the poor middle class family is now getting the used car for FREE? Please tell me where, so I can go get mine. IF they are GIVING away the used cars, then yes, I will agree it is a much better deal than having to PAY for a new one!

My 19 year old just bought her first car. She searched for about 5 weeks and found a '99 Corolla w/90K for $4500. She put down $1,200 and is paying us back the rest of it. It'll take her awhile before she's done.

My brother wanted to know why we didn't just sell her my husband's '04 Corolla (we bought it new, it has 55K on it) and just buy a new car? Because we can't afford a new car, because we don't know how we'd make those payments if my husband lost his job, because we finally don't have any car payments and firmly believe in buying the best we can afford and taking care of it - which is exactly what we did.

If someone was going to buy a new car anyway, or can afford a new car, the cash for clunkers program is icing on the cake for them (like jsanders). If you can't afford the payments of a new car . . . why would you take on the debt?

I don't think they would take on the new debt if they could not afford it or were in bad straights zoom.

Our banks and financial institutions are back on board with the "old and proficient way of lending", people actually have to qualify for the loan....Crdit is very very very tight since the CRASH of our financial markets and one of the main concern of dealers, which I heard on the news, was that they would not have enough clunker trade in prospects that would have good and strong enough credit, and with a job.... to qualify.

Ultimately, it is up to the individual's own circumstance to decide if trading in their clunker for the rebate, selling it outright on the used market, or keeping it for a few more years, is best for them.... if they even do actually qualify for a loan on the new car, ya know?

Care

Forum List

Back