Clove cigarettes

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
I don't really smoke, I'll have 1 from time to time if I'm out clubbing but last night someone gave me a clove cigarette and it kicked my ass. It made me cough worse than pot, I about lost a lung. Do people really smoke these things????

Contrary to popular belief, clove cigarettes, also called kreteks, contain tobacco — they are made up of 60-70 percent tobacco and 30-40 percent shredded cloves (a spice). Considering their tobacco content, clove cigarettes are probably as harmful and dangerous as regular cigarettes. As a matter of fact, kreteks may hold even more risk than ordinary smokes. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), clove cigarettes produce at least twice as much nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide as regular American cigarettes brands.

Plus, there may be an additional risk due to their clove content. The major active ingredient in cloves is eugenol, which is a topical anesthetic used in dentistry. The short- and long-term health effects of eugenol are not well known, and little inhalation toxicology research has been done on this substance. However, when smoked, eugenol numbs the throat and impairs the gag reflex. This anesthetizing effect could cause some problems; for example, liquids and/or food could more easily go down the wrong pipe. Smokers may not feel the harshness of the smoke as strongly, so they are more likely to inhale the smoke more deeply and hold it in the lungs for a longer period of time before exhaling. As a result, it's possible, or even likely, that eugenol has the potential to facilitate lung infections, respiratory illnesses, or allergic reactions in certain users, especially in smokers with existing breathing problems and/or other sensitivities.

Although clove cigarette smokers share some adverse health symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, bronchitis, pneumonia, and coughing up blood, the cause-and-effect relationship between smoking clove cigarettes and these symptoms has not yet been definitively established. Regardless, it seems reasonable to assume that clove cigarettes are as harmful and dangerous or even more so than standard cigarettes

Ick.

Contrary to popular belief, clove cigarettes, also called kreteks, contain tobacco — they are made up of 60-70 percent tobacco and 30-40 percent shredded cloves (a spice). Considering their tobacco content, clove cigarettes are probably as harmful and dangerous as regular cigarettes. As a matter of fact, kreteks may hold even more risk than ordinary smokes. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), clove cigarettes produce at least twice as much nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide as regular American cigarettes brands.

Plus, there may be an additional risk due to their clove content. The major active ingredient in cloves is eugenol, which is a topical anesthetic used in dentistry. The short- and long-term health effects of eugenol are not well known, and little inhalation toxicology research has been done on this substance. However, when smoked, eugenol numbs the throat and impairs the gag reflex. This anesthetizing effect could cause some problems; for example, liquids and/or food could more easily go down the wrong pipe. Smokers may not feel the harshness of the smoke as strongly, so they are more likely to inhale the smoke more deeply and hold it in the lungs for a longer period of time before exhaling. As a result, it's possible, or even likely, that eugenol has the potential to facilitate lung infections, respiratory illnesses, or allergic reactions in certain users, especially in smokers with existing breathing problems and/or other sensitivities.

Although clove cigarette smokers share some adverse health symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, bronchitis, pneumonia, and coughing up blood, the cause-and-effect relationship between smoking clove cigarettes and these symptoms has not yet been definitively established. Regardless, it seems reasonable to assume that clove cigarettes are as harmful and dangerous or even more so than standard cigarettes

Ick.

Um... wow, thx for the infos. If I ever want to cough like that again I'll just go the 420 route and have a good buzz to go with the sore throat.

Ick.

Um... wow, thx for the infos. If I ever want to cough like that again I'll just go the 420 route and have a good buzz to go with the sore throat.

Absolutely. You won't have to worry about that whole vomiting, coughing up blood, thing either.

Ick.

Absolutely. You won't have to worry about that whole vomiting, coughing up blood, thing either.

So... you seem to know a lot about this (or your cut&paste-fu is strong).... does it give you a better buzz if you cough your stupid head off? Everyone says it does but I think I do better when I manage not to cough.

So... you seem to know a lot about this (or your cut&paste-fu is strong).... does it give you a better buzz if you cough your stupid head off? Everyone says it does but I think I do better when I manage not to cough.

I had one experience with cloves. Friend of mine's little brother was turning 16 and he wanted to get drunk in the worse way. My friend was 5 years older and had a very bad experience with DUI. He thought he would teach him a lesson.

We got him drunk. Drinking beer and toasting with tequila shots. Right after little brother turned green, his brother said for him to drink ice cold milk as fast as he could - would coat his stomach and make him feel better.

After he did that, we all smoked cloves to welcome him to manhood.

Needless to say, little bro was sick all over the house.

Even though I only smoked maybe half of one clove, between the actual cigarette and the visual of the mess his little bro left, it was enough for me.

(and cut & paste-fu is strong)

I had one experience with cloves. Friend of mine's little brother was turning 16 and he wanted to get drunk in the worse way. My friend was 5 years older and had a very bad experience with DUI. He thought he would teach him a lesson.

We got him drunk. Drinking beer and toasting with tequila shots. Right after little brother turned green, his brother said for him to drink ice cold milk as fast as he could - would coat his stomach and make him feel better.

Even though I only smoked maybe half of one clove, between the actual cigarette and the visual of the mess his little bro left, it was enough for me.

No, I meant with pot. But funny story. My bros did that kind of shit to each other.

No, I meant with pot. But funny story. My bros did that kind of shit to each other.

Ohhhh.....that.

Well, I can neither confirm nor deny my experience with that subject.

From my experience, it's all about letting the smoke fill your lungs completely and holding it for as long as you can. If you hold it longer, your lungs absorb more THC, and you get a longer and better high. Coughing probably hurts more than it helps by forcing you to exhale.

Ohhhh.....that.

Well, I can neither confirm nor deny my experience with that subject.

Nothing to be ashamed of, IMO.

From my experience, it's all about letting the smoke fill your lungs completely and holding it for as long as you can. If you hold it longer, your lungs absorb more THC, and you get a longer and better high. Coughing probably hurts more than it helps by forcing you to exhale.

They say it opens up things in your lungs so you can absorb more... I dunno, I'm not much of a smoker.

I've never noticed a difference either way but chances are if you are coughing your head off you just took a pretty big hit so ......

I've never noticed a difference either way but chances are if you are coughing your head off you just took a pretty big hit so ......

What? Restraint? Me? Please. :lol:

Ick.

Wow, Burp! You certainly know your shit!

Or is that Cowbell actually an iBell with WiFi?

Ick.

Wow, Burp! You certainly know your shit!

Or is that Cowbell actually an iBell with WiFi?

Busted. iBell. I haven't quite perfected it yet. I still have to point it in the right direction.

I don't really smoke, I'll have 1 from time to time if I'm out clubbing but last night someone gave me a clove cigarette and it kicked my ass. It made me cough worse than pot, I about lost a lung. Do people really smoke these things????

God, I love the smell, it totally takes me back to the 80s.

What? Restraint? Me? Please. :lol:

I guess Hindu cows take fat hits. Who knew?

Forum List

Back