Closing Guantánamo Fades as a Priority

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Wasn't that one of the reasons you Liberals voted for Obama? Why yes it was!:

NY Times Advertisement
Stymied by political opposition and focused on competing priorities, the Obama administration has sidelined efforts to close theGuantanamo prison, making it unlikely thatPresident Obama will fulfill his promise to close it before his term ends in 2013.
When the White House acknowledged last year that it would miss Mr. Obama’s initial January 2010 deadline for shutting the prison, it also declared that the detainees would eventually be moved to one in Illinois. But impediments to that plan have mounted in Congress, and the administration is doing little to overcome them.
I know that's gotta' just piss you Liberals off to no end! Knowing that they'll be held there and forced to participate in Soccer leagues.

Oh the Huge Manatee! :eek:

Why hasnt Obama closed Gitmo? Is it because of stiff political opposition from the right as well as many democrats? If it was politically feasible Obama would have closed Gitmo by now.

For once Obama has decided not to defy the will of the people.

To bad he is only doing it for political expediency. See he has made the calculation that he will piss less people off keeping it open than by closing it. That is the only reason Obama does anything. To gain politically.

Why hasnt Obama closed Gitmo? Is it because of stiff political opposition from the right as well as many democrats? If it was politically feasible Obama would have closed Gitmo by now.

When has stiff opposition from the right ever swayed Obama on anything?

His first act of office was signing a proclamation to close Gitmo. It was a main plank in his campaign. He declared its presence was a threat to the U.S. and was being used as a recruiting tool by al Qaeda.
What happened to all that? Are we less safe now because Gitmo is still open?
Or was all of that some rhetorical bullshit designed to get him elected and mollify his Arab friends?
I'm betting on the second.

To bad he is only doing it for political expediency. See he has made the calculation that he will piss less people off keeping it open than by closing it. That is the only reason Obama does anything. To gain politically.

So, doing what represents the will of the people, bad.

Doing what doesn't represent the will of the people, bad.

The obsession with negatively portraying everything the president does is why you people are such a laughingstock. A bunch of old hens gossiping about the neighbor lady they've all decided they hate. :lol::lol:

No. If it were practical, he would have.

He should have known better as a candidate than to think it practical. His supporters never really gave a shit to begin with, other than to use it against W. Once it bacame BO's prison, it was cool.

The obsession with negatively portraying everything the president does is why you people are such a laughingstock. A bunch of old hens gossiping about the neighbor lady they've all decided they hate. :lol::lol:

So when he assumed office closing it was the will of the people, and at what point was closing it not the will of the people?
DO you think it's asking to much to hold people responsible for decisions they've made or for implementing policies they've run on?
The obsession for excusing every mistake and screw up of this administration makes those who do it a laughingstock.

So when he assumed office closing it was the will of the people, and at what point was closing it not the will of the people?
DO you think it's asking to much to hold people responsible for decisions they've made or for implementing policies they've run on?
The obsession for excusing every mistake and screw up of this administration makes those who do it a laughingstock.

So what is the conclusion here? People who wanted Gitmo closed are supposed to vote Republican in 2012 because Obama hasn't closed Gitmo?

So what is the conclusion here? People who wanted Gitmo closed are supposed to vote Republican in 2012 because Obama hasn't closed Gitmo?
No, I don't expect them to vote Republican but I like pointing out how Obama lied to you to get elected. So you have to say to yourself; "What else could he be lying about?"

If it keeps Liberals dejected about their own party and staying at home on election day then that's like a vote for us.

The conclusion is that Obama is a lying incompetent sack of shit. Like that was ever in doubt.
Also that those who voted for him need to stay home on election day to preserve this great republic.

No, I don't expect them to vote Republican but I like pointing out how Obama lied to you to get elected. So you have to say to yourself; "What else could he be lying about?"

If it keeps Liberals dejected about their own party and staying at home on election day then that's like a vote for us.

Ok, so Reagan promised to balance the budget, a lie, and became conservatism's God.

So I guess those who might give Obama a pass for 'lying' about closing Gitmo are what...

...about 1/1000th as phoney as those who give Reagan a pass for promising to balance the budget and then becoming the modern day pioneer of the massive peacetime deficit?

Are you holding yourselves to the same standard you're trying to hold others to?

I say 'hardly'.

Ok, so Reagan promised to balance the budget, a lie, and became conservatism's God.

So I guess those who might give Obama a pass for 'lying' about closing Gitmo are what...

...about 1/1000th as phoney as those who give Reagan a pass for promising to balance the budget and then becoming the modern day pioneer of the massive peacetime deficit?

Are you holding yourselves to the same standard you're trying to hold others to?

I say 'hardly'.

Reagan could not balance the budget because Congress passes budgets, not the president.
Obama could close Gitmo because he is the CinC. So why hasn't he done so?

I say 'hardly'.

Reagan could not balance the budget because Congress passes budgets, not the president.

Presidents sign budgets. How many balanced budgets did Reagan sign?

btw, closing Gitmo was never popular.

I say 'hardly'.

Translation: "Yeah, but...."

Your memory of the complaints from your fellow flaming leftoids is faltering... It was extremely popular with the left... It was unpopular with people who actually thought about it...

Your memory of the complaints from your fellow flaming leftoids is faltering... It was extremely popular with the left... It was unpopular with people who actually thought about it...

Reagan promised to balance the budget and didn't. Ever. He lied. Case closed. That's a bit more significant than Obama promising to close Gitmo and not getting it done on time.

Show me any polls before Obama was elected where a majority of Americans favored closing Gitmo. I said it was never popular, it wasn't. I am right, you are wrong.

Reagan promised to balance the budget and didn't. Ever. He lied. Case closed. That's a bit more significant than Obama promising to close Gitmo and not getting it done on time.

Translation: "Yeah, but..."

Show me any polls before Obama was elected where a majority of Americans favored closing Gitmo. I said it was never popular, it wasn't. I am right, you are wrong.
I said it was popular with the flaming leftioids... I am right, you are an idiot...

Forum List

Back