Closer to home now

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
I didn't see this coming, so I'm a little amazed at how it has affected me. My nephew called from Texas earlier this afternoon and said he had joined the Marine Corps and will start basic training in San Diego next month. Yikes!

He just got married two years ago and has a toddler. But he explained he feels like he's just been flailing around since college, moving from one town to another, trying to discover exactly what he wants for a permanent vocation. I admit to being a little highbrow about that because his father (my brother) has given him every material thing he ever wanted or needed. So I'm genuinely delighted that my nephew wants to finally strike out on his own, but egads, joining the Marines is a HUGE step in that direction.

I know there are service men and women who post on this board, so if you have any hints on how to survive basic training, I'd love to pass them on to Matthew. The funnier the better. He's got a terrific sense of humor.

He might spend the next two months doing push ups, loading a back pack with milk jugs full of water and doing long hikes up hills. He is going to need to be in shape. A daily dozen, followed by a 6 mile hike carrying a 16lb load will be the least of his worries.

I didn't see this coming, so I'm a little amazed at how it has affected me. My nephew called from Texas earlier this afternoon and said he had joined the Marine Corps and will start basic training in San Diego next month. Yikes!

He just got married two years ago and has a toddler. But he explained he feels like he's just been flailing around since college, moving from one town to another, trying to discover exactly what he wants for a permanent vocation. I admit to being a little highbrow about that because his father (my brother) has given him every material thing he ever wanted or needed. So I'm genuinely delighted that my nephew wants to finally strike out on his own, but egads, joining the Marines is a HUGE step in that direction.

I know there are service men and women who post on this board, so if you have any hints on how to survive basic training, I'd love to pass them on to Matthew. The funnier the better. He's got a terrific sense of humor.

I'm often asked for the best method of getting in shape for military basic training.
For those who may be out of condition, here is a little secret for building arm and shoulder muscles. Three days a week works well.

Begin by standing outside behind the house, and with a 5-LB. potato sack in each hand ... extend your arms straight out to your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

After a few weeks, move up to 10-LB. potato sacks and then 50-LB potato sacks, and finally get to where you can lift a 100 lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Next...start putting a few potatoes in the sacks, but be careful not to overdo it.

He might spend the next two months doing push ups, loading a back pack with milk jugs full of water and doing long hikes up hills. He is going to need to be in shape. A daily dozen, followed by a 6 mile hike carrying a 16lb load will be the least of his worries.

I'll pass that along. He is tall and thin, no muscle visible, so he'd better get a head start. Thanks.

I'm often asked for the best method of getting in shape for military basic training.
For those who may be out of condition, here is a little secret for building arm and shoulder muscles. Three days a week works well.

Begin by standing outside behind the house, and with a 5-LB. potato sack in each hand ... extend your arms straight out to your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

After a few weeks, move up to 10-LB. potato sacks and then 50-LB potato sacks, and finally get to where you can lift a 100 lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Next...start putting a few potatoes in the sacks, but be careful not to overdo it.

:lol: He'll love that!!

This may be my first really positive post in response to one of yours. 1. Thank your nephew for his intents. 2. Thank you for supporting him and doing it in a humorous manner. I wish the best for your nephew, and feel a debt of gratitude to him and all who have done the same.

1. show up in the best shape as possible
2. learn as much as you need to know before going
3. try to last a while before the D.I. learns your name
4. realize no matter how good or bad you are at what you do you will be hollered and screamed at like you are the most inept individual that has ever lived
5. remember you are part of a team and act accordingly
6. GOOD LUCK.

4. realize no matter how good or bad you are at what you do you will be hollered and screamed at like you are the most inept individual that has ever lived
6. GOOD LUCK.

Good advice. He probably knows he's in for some inyourface shit, but it's one thing to imagine it and another to actually be that face. Matt is a movie buff, and I've been trying to think of one (non-comedy) that really tells it like it is in boot camp. Surprisingly, the one that comes to mind is "GI Jane" about the first (?) woman to join the Navy Seals. They put her through absolute hell. The title implies a comedy, but it was far from it.

One of my uncles fought on the front lines during the Korean War, and he always maintained that of all the action he saw, nothing compared to Marine boot camp. (I don't dare tell my nephew that but maybe his father already has!)

Here, tell him to steal all the jokes he wants off this Royal Marine, I'm sure he wouldn't mind! There are some goodies in there!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/search.php?searchid=1950069

Got a better link, Echo?

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Sorry, that was to his "Posts by Bootneck" or so I thought.

This thread has a zillion links to his posts, and a lot of his off colour jokes every Marine and anyone else will love! :D

http://www.usmessageboard.com/echo-...nt-forget-to-rep-bootneck-while-hes-gone.html

6. GOOD LUCK.

Good advice. He probably knows he's in for some inyourface shit, but it's one thing to imagine it and another to actually be that face. Matt is a movie buff, and I've been trying to think of one (non-comedy) that really tells it like it is in boot camp. Surprisingly, the one that comes to mind is "GI Jane" about the first (?) woman to join the Navy Seals. They put her through absolute hell. The title implies a comedy, but it was far from it.

One of my uncles fought on the front lines during the Korean War, and he always maintained that of all the action he saw, nothing compared to Marine boot camp. (I don't dare tell my nephew that but maybe his father already has!)

Although it's kinda sappy in places, the DI in Officer and A Gentleman is pretty realistic, according to some I've talked to.

"I ain't got nowhere to go....I got nowhere to go".~~Richard Gere's Character

One thing I learned from the recruiting office when my son went to bootcamp was that there is always a good psychological reason behind everything they put these recruits through. Your nephew deserves thanks for his decision to serve and well-wishes for his safety.

6. GOOD LUCK.

Okay a movie wont tell the best story but the best ones regarding Marine boot camp( remember I was there 26 years ago so it may be a bit different now) are Full Metal Jacket (except they no longer physically assault the boots any more) , The Boys in Company C(If you can find it) and an oldie, The D.I. starring Jack Webb (seriously)

Forum List

Back