Close win or clean victory

Bush et al certainly acted and succeeded in making .5% majority an electoral mandate to mess up America badly.

I agree in concept, AmyNation. However, at least three times the minority candidate has won. Unless you want to go to a straight popular majority and that will screw small and medium state needs.

I agree in concept, AmyNation. However, at least three times the minority candidate has won. Unless you want to go to a straight popular majority and that will screw small and medium state needs.

Another poster suggested that if a candidate fails to win both the electoral and popular vote, then it should go to the house to decide.

I thought that was a good idea.

Another poster suggested that if a candidate fails to win both the electoral and popular vote, then it should go to the house to decide.

It should be done thunderdome style.

2 men enter..one man leaves.

:D

That's where it goes now. How about SCOTUS, the Senate, and the House each get one vote, and two out of three ain't bad.

What do you think a close win is? How much of the popular vote does a person need to win by that makes it a clear choice by the American people, vs it could have gone either way.

A win is a win – unless the Supreme Court gets involved…

I was more thinking about the whine factor vs bragging rights.

I'd say, anything within 1% was an accidental victory, anything within 2% you can say the other guy just eeked by, but any victory that is above that is a clear decision by the American people.

Last edited:
What do you think a close win is? How much of the popular vote does a person need to win by that makes it a clear choice by the American people, vs it could have gone either way.

I'd say, anything within 1% was an accidental victory, anything within 2% you can say the other guy just eeked by, but any victory that is above that is a clear decision by the American people.

Pity there has to be either.

Pity there has to be either.

Well, I think some people will be mature, I'm well aware the whining will start before the winner is declared :tongue:

Past elections

1992- Clinton 43% Bush 38% Perot 19%
1996- Clintion 43% Dole 41% Perot 8%
2000- Bush 47.9% Gore 48.4%
2004- Bush 51% Kerry 48%
2008- Obama 53% McCain 46%

Nixon 61% McGovern 38%.

Im not sure landslides like that are even possible anymore. No matter how good the other guy is, or how bad their guy is, people seem to vote party lines.

Forum List

Back