Cloning Your Pets???

Ahh can't wait for they day we start altering human DNA so we can screw
up the genpool beyond repair!!!

Eww, eww, eww, NO! I wouldn't want anything cloned! Even my beloved dog that I've had since he was 5 weeks old and he'll be 9 years old on Christmas morning. He was my baby, still is. When he passes away, I will be heartbroken, but I wouldn't want his clone. It's not him, just a way to replace him. It's just wierd. Oh so much to say and can't find the words to say it, LOL!

Yeah, the thing about clones is: THEY ARE NOT YOUR OLD DOG/CAT/FISH/GRANDMA/ETC.

All moral objections aside (I think that there are REALLY GOOD moral reasons...but I am arguing for the non-religious, or non-moral reasons, so to speak)

It was not a great movie...but Schwartzenagger's cloning pic "Sixth Day" actually did a great job demonstrating this.

In the movie you would have a computer save everything in your brain onto a disc...you died, they would take your dna, clone you into a new "blank" body, and then zap the new body's brains with all of your memories...it would wake up with all of the memories up to the scan...and it would "be you."

The problem became evident when the bad guy cloned himself and the clone woke up before he was dead....so here he was...looking at the new him...knowing he was going to die and that the new clone was certainly NOT HIM

I know, I know...its convoluded...but the point is...your dog is your dog because you raised it a certain way...in a certain environment...it had certain experiences...my baby puppy dog (a 110lb doberman now...but still my baby puppy dog) is afraid of the dark. He grew up in a big city where it was never truly dark...we then moved him to the middle of nowhere...its DARK here at night...and it took him awhile to get used to it...he still doesn't go out unless the porch light is on....a new cloned dog would be brought up here...in the dark...no fear of it probably...he wouldn't grow up in a college house with 8 people all loving him and paying attention to him...just my husband and I...he would be different...a different dog...

Yes...they would look alike, and have similar characteristics...but it wouldn't be your dog back...

I agree with most here...its creepy...and it opens the door to arguments for human cloning...which is even creepier.

Gem, you made a lot of good points. I also feel that it is creepy, and frightening for the possiblility of human cloning. It just brings up an amplitude of ethical and moral problems. But there is this tiny little voice in the back of my head that might be tempted for maybe a fraction of a second to think hmm I love my pets so much that just the possibility of having a recreation of one even in a small way might not be so horrible.........Then I come to my senses and realise how wrong it is in so many ways, plus the idea that there are so many animals in shelters that need homes is sobering as well.

I think where the cloning issue is going to get tricky is when scientists develop the ability to clone humans successfully enough to clone organs.

It is easy to say, "NO! We can not clone a human being!" Not as easy to say, "NO! Even though we have a shockingly desperate situation as far as organ transplant goes, we can not clone organs so that people could have organs that would not be rejected for people in need."

Forum List

Back