Clinton Years economy and poverty.

Inferno

boatwoman
Aug 15, 2008
the river styx
New Poverty Data Induces Clinton Nostalgia

MotherJones Blog: New Poverty Data Induce Clinton Nostalgia

Hillary's speech last night at the Democratic convention wasn't the only event of the day to inspire a little nostalgia for the Clinton administration. A few hours earlier, the Census Bureau released its 2007 poverty and income report, a snapshot of the nation's economic well-being. The easy takeaway message might have been this: We never had it so good as we did in Bill Clinton's second term, when unemployment was low, poverty was low, and the rising tide was lifting all boats. The Census data for 2007 confirm that all future economic progress will be measured by whether the country can get back to the prosperity of 1999. Right now, the Bush administration can't even get the economy back to where it was during the 2001 recession.

According to the Census Bureau, child poverty, which hit a record low during the Clinton years, went up in 2007, and it's significantly higher than it was in 2001 (18 percent vs. 16.5 percent). Median income for working-age adults was lower last year than it was during the recession of 2001, and more people were uninsured, too. The numbers were especially grim given that they came at the end of six years of economic expansion. The data for 2008 are likely to be much, much worse.

I wonder where McCain gets the idea that the economy is so good. I have felt for a long time that I amd most Americans are not as well off as when we had Bill Clinton in office. Here is the proof. McCain enjoys the current economic conditions and would continue along the same path. I don't think Americans can stand much more. What do you think?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back