Clinton wins Pennsylvania primary

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By DAVID ESPO and BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writers
8 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA - Hillary Rodham Clinton has won the Pennsylvania primary, defeating Barack Obama and staving off elimination in a riveting race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The former first lady was winning 53 percent of the vote Tuesday night, compared with 47 percent for her rival. She hoped for significant inroads into Obama's overall lead in the competition for delegates to the Democratic National Convention.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/primary_rdp

Ha! :cool:

If its only a 6 point difference, she's finished.

Howso?

You think Hillary is actually going to meekly bow out if she is even close? Let's assume Obama wins the party nomination.

26% of her followers have already stated they would go over to McCain.

What if however, she decides to split off and run as an independent?

I'm not sure which I would choose to vote for if it was Hillary and McCain. If it's Obama and McCain, McCain's getting my vote.

Most of the Dems will fall into line after the nomination, just like the Republicans did with McCain.

What will occur to the delegates is that Obama has been outspending Clinton by something like three to one and he still can't knock her out. And white, working class people like Clinton...and they are still the majority in the country.

Most of the Dems will fall into line after the nomination, just like the Republicans did with McCain.

What will occur to the delegates is that Obama has been outspending Clinton by something like three to one and he still can't knock her out. And white, working class people like Clinton...and they are still the majority in the country.

The Dems that are programmed to push the "D" button will.

I don't care much for Hillary or McCain, and I will vote for whichever one of them presents the best overall case.

Obama is going to be either dangerous to this nation, or be another Jimmy Carter -- so kooky even mainstream Dems won't support him. I'd say he is exactly what we DON'T need right now.

Howso?

You think Hillary is actually going to meekly bow out if she is even close? Let's assume Obama wins the party nomination.

I'm not sure which I would choose to vote for if it was Hillary and McCain. If it's Obama and McCain, McCain's getting my vote.

I half agree. I too would have a tough time picking between McCain and Clinton. But I'd pick Obama over McCain without hesitation.

Howso?

Well then she must make that break away before the conventionv in order to secure ballot access. For an independent candidate to make the ballot in Texas they must have 74,108 signatures in by May 12th.

Howso?

And if its McCain v Hillary, McCain is getting my vote. I'm not sure who to support between McCain and Obama yet.

Its finished because she needs to start closing the delegate count. She needed to win big, by double digits, to gain some momentum. Every one expected her to win, and it appears that she won by what we expected a month ago, maybe even a little less. At the current rate, she can't win unless Obama screws up royally. Obama has had a poor month, and he still only lost by 6-8%. It is nearly impossible for her to win the elected delegates and there is no way the uncommitted Super delegates will swing massively towards her now. She's going to stay in because she believes there is a chance he may trip up yet.

Her running as an independent is about as likely as Huckabee running. What would happen in a three-way race between McCain, Obama and Huckabee?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what cross-over voters are telling you now. Remember, less than three months ago, the polls said that Hillary was well in front of Obama nationally. That hasn't exactly panned out.

Clinton just pulled back up to 10% according to CNN. LOL never mind she is back to 8% again. And back to 10% yet again.

And if its McCain v Hillary, McCain is getting my vote. I'm not sure who to support between McCain and Obama yet.

Its finished because she needs to start closing the delegate count. She needed to win big, by double digits, to gain some momentum. Every one expected her to win, and it appears that she won by what we expected a month ago, maybe even a little less. At the current rate, she can't win unless Obama screws up royally. Obama has had a poor month, and he still only lost by 6-8%. It is nearly impossible for her to win the elected delegates and there is no way the uncommitted Super delegates will swing massively towards her now. She's going to stay in because she believes there is a chance he may trip up yet.

Her running as an independent is about as likely as Huckabee running. What would happen in a three-way race between McCain, Obama and Huckabee?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what cross-over voters are telling you now. Remember, less than three months ago, the polls said that Hillary was well in front of Obama nationally. That hasn't exactly panned out.

I'm not putting stock in anything anyone says. I merely repeated what was stated in one of the articles. You can take it or leave it.

I don't think Obama will beat McCain. I do think Hillary has a better chance. Just my opinion.

It's a ten point spread with 85 percent of the vote counted. This is a very big win for Hillary. With many in the media in the tank for Obama, and being outspent three to one, her win is very impressive. Obama, except for his home state of Illinois, has yet to demonstrate that he can win a large populous state. And now he has no more chances. What would the score be if Michigan and Florida had been counted? The dem infighting will continue through the convention and Hillary's argument to sway the Super-delegates has increased in strength. McCain will have the most difficulty beating Hillary and Bill (who was standing right behind Hillary during her speech tonight). But McCain certainly liked the Hillary win tonight, because it keeps his rivals fighting each other and not him.

I just really can't see this country electing a hard radical such as Obama. The past that he is carrying is simply unacceptable and unbelievable. He makes Hillary look like a centrist.

It's a ten point spread with 85 percent of the vote counted. This is a very big win for Hillary. With many in the media in the tank for Obama, and being outspent three to one, her win is very impressive. Obama, except for his home state of Illinois, has yet to demonstrate that he can win a large populous state. And now he has no more chances. What would the score be if Michigan and Florida had been counted? The dem infighting will continue through the convention and Hillary's argument to sway the Super-delegates has increased in strength. McCain will have the most difficulty beating Hillary and Bill (who was standing right behind Hillary during her speech tonight). But McCain certainly liked the Hillary win tonight, because it keeps his rivals fighting each other and not him.

Yeah, Hillary got hosed in Texas. She won the popular vote. That is supposed to guarantee 2/3s of the delegates. The people who don't have to get up and work then stayed up all night to caucus for Obama and he got a lot more than a third of the delegates. It's a legal way for an underdog to steal votes and I think it's BS.

And yes, my State Rep knows EXACTLY what I think about it.

I just really can't see this country electing a hard radical such as Obama. The past that he is carrying is simply unacceptable and unbelievable. He makes Hillary look like a centrist.

Don't believe everything you hear on Faux News. Actually, don't believe anything you hear there.

You'll find out how wrong you are after Obama is inaugurated.

Hillary's win, if it remains around a 10% margin, is huge.

Obama outspends her in every state, he literally has a fanbase that the media is calling "a movement," and yet she is still able to go toe-to-toe with him and win big states like Pennsylvania.

Including the things mentioned above, there are so many factors superdelegates need to be looking at:

• Clinton has won most of the big Democratic states by substantial margins. She has won Ohio, New York, California, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. Arguably, she also had a strong showing in Michigan and Florida. Yes, I know, these don't count. Regardless, people went to the polls. They voted for her more than anyone other choice on the ballot.
  • Clinton won the state of Texas. Don't give me any of this "He won the delegates" crap. In a general election, popular vote decides for the entire state; it's not divided into districts. She received TWICE the number of votes as McCain is the TEXAS primary. This indicates she actually has a chance at stealing the state of Texas from a Republican.
  • A large number of people deciding at the last minute are voting for her. This means that people who were on the fence have decided Obama's latest campaigns are not well-received, showing that Obama is not as "perfect" a candidate as his people want you to believe.
  • Most recent polls show that most voters see Clinton as more likely to beat McCain in a general election.

Let's not forget: she's got a strong showing in upcoming states and territories (Guam, Puerto Rico). I don't see her taking the delegate lead, it's pretty much impossible (unless she can find some good dirt on Hussein Obama). But I do see her closing the gap some, especially if she can hang in in North Carolina. All the other remaining states (Kentucky, Oregon, Indiana) are going to be very close, probably a split in delegates. The territories will pull heavily for Clinton, giving her more of an edge.

Plus, if Dean decides to seat the Florida and Michigan delegates based on previous election results, she's a shoe-in to close the gap and give the superdelegates reason to vote for her. They will see her as more electable.

If they will give her the number of delegates based on the percentage of votes she received in Florida and Michigan, and seat the rest in some form of random assignment and allow those delegates to vote freely, I think it would be fair.

It's still very plausible for Clinton to win this. The momentum is in her direction. Even if Obama wins North Carolina, the fact remains: he can't win a blue state. Superdelegates will not take this lightly.

Don't believe everything you hear on Faux News. Actually, don't believe anything you hear there.

You'll find out how wrong you are after Obama is inaugurated.

Nobody has to believe Fox News. All anyone has to do is listen to Obama. He's a radical. Period.

It's going to be a sad thing to watch all you people who SO have your hopes up crying all over yourselves when your little wet dream doesn't come to fruition.

Well, not really.:badgrin:

Just read that she had a 200,000 vote lead with 90 percent reporting. I believe that puts her in the lead in popular vote and a compelling case to the supers. Obama can't win the big states and I still say that will be a big problem for Obama.

Nobody has to believe Fox News. All anyone has to do is listen to Obama. He's a radical. Period.

It's going to be a sad thing to watch all you people who SO have your hopes up crying all over yourselves when your little wet dream doesn't come to fruition.

Well, not really.:badgrin:

If Obama wins this nomination, you are going to see an enormous swing of Clinton voters jump on the McCain train. Most Obama "voters" are dumb kids who are just joining the latest cool trend. If he doesn't win, they'll just go back to watching that Rock of Love show on VH1. They never really gave a fuck about politics in the first place, they just wanted to be hip.

The sad thing is, as strong as Obama's campaign is, he still can't win elections. That means for every mindless moronic college kid he recruits, one hillbilly who doesn't like the black man switches tickets just to vote against him. I think he's both the most liked and most hated candidate in political history. Yes, even moreso than Bush circa 2001.

Forum List

Back