Clinton wins crackdown on school junk food

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I think I'll go have a soda and a twinkie to celebrate.... :eek2:

major food companies agree to snack guidelines that would ban Snickers
Just five months after reaching an agreement to ban sodas in elementary and middle schools, former President Bill Clinton announced a deal with several major food companies to make school snacks healthier.

• Clinton's junk food crackdown
Oct. 6: Former Pres. Bill Clinton announces a deal with major food companies to cut fat, sugar and salt in school snacks.
MSNBC

Updated: 11:50 a.m. AKT Oct 6, 2006
NEW YORK - Snacks sold in schools will have less fat, sugar and salt under the latest crackdown on junk food won by former President Clinton.

Just five months after a similar agreement targeting the sale of sodas in schools, Clinton and the American Heart Association announced a deal Friday with several major food companies to make school snacks healthier — the latest assault on the nation’s childhood obesity epidemic.

“This is voluntary,” Clinton said. “They don’t have to do it. But they recognize the challenge we face, and they are helping us face the first step.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15153923/wid/11915773?GT1=8618

Just five months after reaching an agreement to ban sodas in elementary and middle schools, former President Bill Clinton announced a deal with several major food companies to make school snacks healthier.

Oct. 6: Former Pres. Bill Clinton announces a deal with major food companies to cut fat, sugar and salt in school snacks.
MSNBC

NEW YORK - Snacks sold in schools will have less fat, sugar and salt under the latest crackdown on junk food won by former President Clinton.

Just five months after a similar agreement targeting the sale of sodas in schools, Clinton and the American Heart Association announced a deal Friday with several major food companies to make school snacks healthier — the latest assault on the nation’s childhood obesity epidemic.

“This is voluntary,” Clinton said. “They don’t have to do it. But they recognize the challenge we face, and they are helping us face the first step.”

So will Willy have to forego his junk attacks? Where are the 'laws'?

MSNBC

My hero !!! He's going down in my book as the guy who helped make America skinny !!!:rolleyes:

Good for him! Kids are victims of the corporate food culture and anything anybody does to reverse the tide is welcome in my book.
I believe that parents should be more interactive in what their children eat. When a child is overweight because they eat a lot, it's the parent's fault (usually, there is a disease where a person can't stop eating). Schools should be more pre-emptive in having healthier food selections (at least pre-High School age).

I suppose next we're going to have the FOOD POLICE....
We'll have to be looking over our shoulders to see that it's all clear to buy that box of donuts........:cow:

Hysterical that our kids' health is now a partisan issue. :wtf:

yuppers... if Bill did it, well, couldn't possibly be a good thang.

I think not offering junk food at school is just fine. If the parent wants to let the little chubber eat garbage and sit in front of an X-Box all afternoon and evening, then that's their call....

I think not offering junk food at school is just fine. If the parent wants to let the little chubber eat garbage and sit in front of an X-Box all afternoon and evening, then that's their call....

Hey, I was a real pain. My kids were all veggie and carob. However, I could not find it in myself to get upset with birthday or soccer treats. Wouldn't kill them and I made them brush when they got home.

More serious problem: parents waiting in running SUV's after school. Heading home, then heading to sports events-with ride of course.

Kids need excercise, not to mention time alone, to daydream and get some life experience. Oh yeah, and excercise-which could be accomplished by walking home and playing games outside. D'oh!

Listen carefully---IT"S ELECTION TIME ---EVERTHING IS A PARTISAN ISSUE !

get with the program !:slap:

More serious problem: parents waiting in running SUV's after school. Heading home, then heading to sports events-with ride of course.

Kids need excercise, not to mention time alone, to daydream and get some life experience. Oh yeah, and excercise-which could be accomplished by walking home and playing games outside. D'oh!

Which is why I plan on limiting extra-curricular sports to one per season/semester. Educational clubs and activities will depend on frequency and schedule demands.

Big issues and complex times call for...

former Presidents to get interested in the issue of junk food.

This is what Sam Francis called "Anarcho-Tyranny." You can't tell a Muslim he can't get on a plane and KILL YOU because that would be "discrimination," but you can tell a chubby white schoolkid he can't eat fries.

Forum List

Back