Clinton will end her campaign and back Barack Obama on Saturday

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Dear Jonathan,

I wanted you to be one of the first to know: on Saturday, I will hold an event in Washington D.C. to thank everyone who has supported my campaign. Over the course of the last 16 months, I have been privileged and touched to witness the incredible dedication and sacrifice of so many people working for our campaign. Every minute you put into helping us win, every dollar you gave to keep up the fight meant more to me than I can ever possibly tell you.

On Saturday, I will extend my congratulations to Senator Obama and my support for his candidacy. This has been a long and hard-fought campaign, but as I have always said, my differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans.

I have said throughout the campaign that I would strongly support Senator Obama if he were the Democratic Party's nominee, and I intend to deliver on that promise.

When I decided to run for president, I knew exactly why I was getting into this race: to work hard every day for the millions of Americans who need a voice in the White House.

I made you -- and everyone who supported me -- a promise: to stand up for our shared values and to never back down. I'm going to keep that promise today, tomorrow, and for the rest of my life.

I will be speaking on Saturday about how together we can rally the party behind Senator Obama. The stakes are too high and the task before us too important to do otherwise.

I know as I continue my lifelong work for a stronger America and a better world, I will turn to you for the support, the strength, and the commitment that you have shown me in the past 16 months. And I will always keep faith with the issues and causes that are important to you.

In the past few days, you have shown that support once again with hundreds of thousands of messages to the campaign, and again, I am touched by your thoughtfulness and kindness.

I can never possibly express my gratitude, so let me say simply, thank you.

Sincerely,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

:sad:

I wish I was not so jaded or cynical but I don't see Hillary 'quitting' yet. She is not conceding her candidacy; she is merely suspending it. I think secretly she hopes there's another big shoe to drop out there somewhere that would inspire the party to tell Obama he is unelectable and to quit and she could then be coronated with command of the popular vote.

It was Hillary's turn. She put up with all the crap she had to put up with to stand by her man for his time in the sun, and now she had earned her time in the sun. At one time she was the presumed heir apparent, and now it is being taken away by an upstart junior senator with virtually no qualifications purely because he is good looking and preaches a good speech. And she knows she is getting long in the tooth and this election was her best shot--she doesn't want to have to wait eight more years to try again.

She didn't help Gore when he ran, and she didn't help Kerry when he ran. She can't be a good Democrat and run against the incumbant. So don't be surprised if her support for Obama is more for show than practical, more strategy than reality.

told ya she'd take her easy exit rather than act like her rabid followers.

:eusa_whistle:
Technically she had no intention of quitting... her closest and most powerful supporters gave her a stern call yesterday asking her just WTF she was doing... even charlie rangel was left scratching his head... still didnt mess up his hair though mind you....

It was Hillary's turn. She put up with all the crap she had to put up with to stand by her man for his time in the sun, and now she had earned her time in the sun.

Whine whine whine, what about MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyy turn???

This job is not about taking turns!

At the beginning I said it would follow the same pattern as voting rights, black men first, women later.....

And Hillary has totally followed in the footsteps of the suffragettes, racist comments included......

History repeats.

Dynasty, Clinton style, I don't think so. I would have had a lot more respect if she had sidelined Bill at the start of the campaign. Major qualification for this job is that she had to be man enough to do the job on her own, and never give the impression he would pull strings from the sidelines. He would just never shut up, was all about grabbing the spotlight, and for me at least, it was enough to decide she really wasn't tough enough.

On the other hand, I have no idea who Lady Thatcher's nor Golda Meir's husbands were/are. It never entered into anything at all. Hillary is still overshadowed.

charlie rangle has one of the scariest voices in national politics today.

no plans or not.. watch what she does.

I swear to God, the next time someone baslessly claims Clinton made racist remarks, I'm voting for McCain.

Except you, Countess, because I know you're not really an Obama supporter.

Dynasty, Clinton style, I don't think so. I would have had a lot more respect if she had sidelined Bill at the start of the campaign.

Why would she do such a stupid thing? Having a former President on your side is a GOOD thing, especially one as popular as Bill. Not only that, but if she wanted to capture the voters Bill had during his terms, she had to have Bill by her side. That doesn't mean she couldn't do it without him, it just made more sense to have him there.

The spouse that should have been sidelined was Michelle. The more she opened her mouth, the more blatantly obvious the Obamas' racism became. Cindy McCain probably should keep her mouth shut, too.

Major qualification for this job is that she had to be man enough to do the job on her own, and never give the impression he would pull strings from the sidelines.

It's so funny. There were so many jokes in the 90's about how Hillary was really the President and how Bill was just the figurehead. Jokes like, "I really like President Clinton, and her husband." It was a constant conversation piece, and EVERYONE thought Hillary was too much involved with his role. But now everyone says she can't do the job without Bill by her side. Hypocrisy rears its ugly head once again.

I swear to God, the next time someone baslessly claims Clinton made racist remarks, I'm voting for McCain.

Except you, Countess, because I know you're not really an Obama supporter.

go for it.

Hell, if hinting as killing the man and hoping that a darker black man in office doesn't shake you then maybe voting for mccain will.

Really? I listened to her words. I beg to differ.

differ all you want.. her words reflect the reality of a former policy of racism held by the US. what do you think yours reflect?

differ all you want.. her words reflect the reality of a former policy of racism held by the US. what do you think yours reflect?

Her words reflect bitterness towards people today who, for the most part, had nothing to do with what happened 40 years ago.

I must have missed the memo that said you're only allowed to be angry at discrimination and past treatment if you're black. How 'bout the fact that HER HUSBAND IS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE FOR PRESIDENT???? That couldn't have happened 40 years ago. And she never suffered from Jim Crow laws and she went to Princeton and Harvard.

It's one thing to want a better world. It's another to be pissed off at the world.

Her words reflect bitterness towards people today who, for the most part, had nothing to do with what happened 40 years ago.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

I realize that the 90s seems like a long time ago this side of the bush regime but racism wasn't solved the day blacks could finally go to college. FOR THE MOST PART, eh Archie Bunker? Had it been that case that Obama were, say, the third or FOURTH black president, or fucking major party nominee for that matter, you may have a point. As it is, there is a reason, beyond your goofy opinon, why Barack Obama is treating historic ground. And, it's not because someone flipped a switch and racism disappeared 40 fucking years ago.

I must have missed the memo that said you're only allowed to be angry at discrimination and past treatment if you're black. How 'bout the fact that HER HUSBAND IS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE FOR PRESIDENT???? That couldn't have happened 40 years ago. And she never suffered from Jim Crow laws and she went to Princeton and Harvard.

It's one thing to want a better world. It's another to be pissed off at the world.

I couldn't agree more. I'm angry that slavery and racism happened, too. But it certainly isn't my fault, nor should I be held accountable or in contempt for it.

I couldn't agree more. I'm angry that slavery and racism happened, too. But it certainly isn't my fault, nor should I be held accountable or in contempt for it.

I hate the thought that human beings were treated as less than human. Hate it. But I also hate the fact that my family had to run from pogroms... .and the fact that people blow stuff up b/c they don't like what people are born or where they live. I think Michelle's anger is pervasive.

But...again... I don't think Barack Obama has any of that. And I'm not voting against him because I don't like his wife.

Forum List

Back