Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools

My point is that there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances for this retarded idea to work. The guard would have to be present, sober, and not pussy out and run away like everyone else would to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars this horrible idea would cost. Columbine was an example of that. Virginia Tech was an example of that. Ft. Hood was an example of that. When one of these loons goes off, you're not going to stop them. And militarizing our schools and putting wannabe cops with power trips and firearms around children isn't going to accomplish anything except wasting tax money and getting more kids killed in accidents than in the school shootings themselves.
Lots of strawmen there that you are arguing with.

I'll just argue my points which don't include any militarization of schools, guards who aren't cops, or wannabe cops. Personally, I continue to vote for cops being present in my district. If you don't want them at schools in your district, then that is none of my business. Nor is it the business of the feds.

Sure it is the business of the fed. The constitution grants rights and it is the duty of the fed to protect these rights. If that means arming people at schools then that is what they must do. I personally would rather see weapons kept out of the hands of nutters. Cheaper and more sensible in the long run.
Well, I know schools are to be locally governed. I also know that the Constitution is supposed to ensure that the right to bear arms is not infringed upon. Yet, the feds made the Gun Free School Zones Act.

Seems like a clusterfuck of feds getting involved were locals have the jurisdiction. And, I would guess that the feds will again overstep their bounds after this. And, I would also bet that we will see another school massacre.

Things are broken, I'm sure we can agree on that.

Violence: President also earmarks money for child-counseling programs. GOP critics say youth problems should be addressed at home.
April 16, 2000|LAWRENCE L. KNUTSON | ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON — Marking the first anniversary of the shooting deaths at Columbine High School, President Clinton announced $120 million in new federal grants Saturday to place more police officers in schools and help even the youngest kids cope with their problems.

"In our national struggle against youth violence we must not fail our children; our future depends on it," the president said in his weekly radio address.

....​

Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools - Los Angeles Times

Who knew Bill Clinton and the NRA agreed?

:lol:

$20,000,000 = Counseling Programs
$40,000,000 = Youth Programs
$60,000,000 = Cops

That's about 1,200 cops. There are about 100,000 pubic schools.

>>>>

Well, I know schools are to be locally governed. I also know that the Constitution is supposed to ensure that the right to bear arms is not infringed upon. Yet, the feds made the Gun Free School Zones Act.

Seems like a clusterfuck of feds getting involved were locals have the jurisdiction. And, I would guess that the feds will again overstep their bounds after this. And, I would also bet that we will see another school massacre.

Things are broken, I'm sure we can agree on that.

Schools are still locally governed. Title 18 USC Section 922 (Gun Free Schools Act of 1995) provide local control. Local schools can have guns in their schools if they so choose. All a school board has to do is allow anyone or just staff & parents legally able to carry a weapon to do so.

>>>>

Violence: President also earmarks money for child-counseling programs. GOP critics say youth problems should be addressed at home.

WASHINGTON — Marking the first anniversary of the shooting deaths at Columbine High School, President Clinton announced $120 million in new federal grants Saturday to place more police officers in schools and help even the youngest kids cope with their problems.

"In our national struggle against youth violence we must not fail our children; our future depends on it," the president said in his weekly radio address.

....​

$60,000,000 = Cops

>>>>
As I've said before, how the schools are run is not a federal jurisdiction.

So, when Clinton did this, I wasn't in agreement with it then, either. If a district wants cops at their schools, then that is the folks who live in that district's call.

And, personally, I am in favor of that, thus that is the way I vote in my district.

Also, it's funny to see a lot of folks on the left melting down about the idea about cops at schools. So, Clinton's bill is good for entertainment value, as well, at this point in time.

There's been 43 school shootings in 248,000 public schools since 1996 so there isn't a correlation between your local school district wasting it's time and money with armed guards around children a phenomenon that's happened to .008% of the schools in this country.

And there were also armed guards at Columbine when that whole thing went down. Look how well that worked.
The armed cop was not at Columbine when the shooting went down.

The Colorado sheriff’s deputy who was one of the first to respond at Columbine High School during a bloody massacre more than a decade ago thinks armed guards could help keep kids safe.

Neil Gardner, who was stationed at the school but was not there when gunmen attacked, told the Daily News on Friday that he also supports a ban on assault weapons.​

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

Your point?

My point is that there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances for this retarded idea to work. The guard would have to be present, sober, and not pussy out and run away like everyone else would to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars this horrible idea would cost. Columbine was an example of that. Virginia Tech was an example of that. Ft. Hood was an example of that. When one of these loons goes off, you're not going to stop them. And militarizing our schools and putting wannabe cops with power trips and firearms around children isn't going to accomplish anything except wasting tax money and getting more kids killed in accidents than in the school shootings themselves.

In my town there is no reason some of the local cops couldn't be assigned to duty in the schools instead of handing out tickets for minor traffic violations. Just the presence of a police car parked in front of the school might make a crazy think twice.

Children are required to attend school by law and the law should be required to protect them, period.

So, when Clinton did this, I wasn't in agreement with it then, either. If a district wants cops at their schools, then that is the folks who live in that district's call.

And, personally, I am in favor of that, thus that is the way I vote in my district.

Also, it's funny to see a lot of folks on the left melting down about the idea about cops at schools. So, Clinton's bill is good for entertainment value, as well, at this point in time.

I don't have a problem with cops in schools if that's what the community wants. Right now we are getting a lot of histrionics from both the left and the right about federal solutions to the issue and (IMHO) a lot of it is emotional, knee-jerk reactions.

It kind of reminds me of calls for mandatory sentences as a solution to the crime problem, everyone calls for mandatory sentencing, stiffer penalties for breaking the law, more jail time. However when it comes time to build the prisons no one want them in their back yard and no one wants to pay the taxes needed to build and staff them.

I'm the HRIS for a school district and ran some preliminary numbers. The cost of adding cops to each of our school buildings would be about $2,000,000 per year. We've had 5 straight years of budget cuts due to decreases in local property values and reduced state funding. The projecting for next year is to cut another $9,000,000 for next year. Add $2,000,000 to that and we'd have to cut $11,000,000 to free up funds for 40 new positions.

Our cost for a 0-year experience cop is just over $52,000 per year, hire someone with more experience and the cost goes up. Remember also that salary does not equal cost because Social Security, Medicare, State Unemployment, Federal Unemployment, State Retirement, and medical/dental benefits also add to the employers cost of an employee.

>>>>

The armed cop was not at Columbine when the shooting went down.

The Colorado sheriff’s deputy who was one of the first to respond at Columbine High School during a bloody massacre more than a decade ago thinks armed guards could help keep kids safe.

Neil Gardner, who was stationed at the school but was not there when gunmen attacked, told the Daily News on Friday that he also supports a ban on assault weapons.​

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

Your point?

But, they WERE there at Virginia Tech and out in force, so what's YOUR point?
Yes, they sure were. Too bad they were the only ones allowed to have guns on their person.

Seung-Hui Cho was outnumbered and outgunned by the campus police force 49 to 1.

How many guns do you think it takes?

Lots of strawmen there that you are arguing with.

I'll just argue my points which don't include any militarization of schools, guards who aren't cops, or wannabe cops. Personally, I continue to vote for cops being present in my district. If you don't want them at schools in your district, then that is none of my business. Nor is it the business of the feds.

Sure it is the business of the fed. The constitution grants rights and it is the duty of the fed to protect these rights. If that means arming people at schools then that is what they must do. I personally would rather see weapons kept out of the hands of nutters. Cheaper and more sensible in the long run.

what specific rights do you refer to and how do they relate to schools?

Lib Media Blasts NRA for Proposing Cops in Schools – Forgets Bill Clinton Proposed Same Thing​

by Jim Hoft
December 24, 2012

The liberal media is lambasting NRA President Wayne LaPierre for proposing cops in public schools, forgets that Bill Clinton proposed the same thing back in 2000.

Flashback: Clinton Requests $60 Million to Put Cops in Schools

Clinton also unveiled the $60-million fifth round of funding for “COPS in School,” a Justice Department program that helps pay the costs of placing police officers in schools to help make them safer for students and teachers. The money will be used to provide 452 officers in schools in more than 220 communities.

Read more:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/lib-media-blasts-nra-for-proposing-cops-in-schools-forgets-bill-clinton-proposed-same-thing/

Lib Media Blasts NRA for Proposing Cops in Schools – Forgets Bill Clinton Proposed Same Thing​

by Jim Hoft
December 24, 2012

The liberal media is lambasting NRA President Wayne LaPierre for proposing cops in public schools, forgets that Bill Clinton proposed the same thing back in 2000.

Flashback: Clinton Requests $60 Million to Put Cops in Schools

Clinton also unveiled the $60-million fifth round of funding for “COPS in School,” a Justice Department program that helps pay the costs of placing police officers in schools to help make them safer for students and teachers. The money will be used to provide 452 officers in schools in more than 220 communities.

Read more:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/lib-media-blasts-nra-for-proposing-cops-in-schools-forgets-bill-clinton-proposed-same-thing/

This is such selective MEMORY by Obamatrons/anti-NRA idiot MSM!!!
HERE are some other statements MADE before Bush by Clinton et.al.. YET the Dems and MSM have a selective memory!

BEFORE BUSH ... When CLINTON was President...

"..deny Iraq the capacity to develop WMD".Bill Clinton,1998
"..most brutal dictators of Century", Biden,1998
"Iraq compliance with Resolution 687 becomes shell game"..Daschle 1998
"He will use those WMDs again,as he has ten times since 1983" ..Berger- Clinton National. Security. Advisor 1998
"posed by Iraq's refusal to end its WMD programs" Levin 1998
"Saddam has been engaged in development of WMDs which is a threat.."Pelosi 1998
"Hussein has chosen to spend his money on building WMDS.."Albright 1999

....​

$60,000,000 = Cops

>>>>

Even Shopping Malls have Security.

New Topics

Forum List

Back