Clinton on Working-Class Southerners, circa 1995: "Screw 'em"

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Clinton on Working-Class Southerners, circa 1995: "Screw 'em"
April 16, 2008 5:44 PM

Some readers have noted the fact that The Huffington Post is going all to town about an anecdote I reported back in October -- from Sally Bedell Smith's book "For Love of Politics: Bill and Hillary Clinton: The White House Years" -- that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, during a 1995 retreat called the "Camp David Seminar on the Future of Democracy had some interesting comments about working-class white Southerners who had left the Democratic party:

"'Screw 'em,' she said, 'you don't owe them a thing, Bill, they're doing nothing for you.' Bill rose to their defense, 'as if rehearsing an old but honorable debate he had been having with his wife for decades,'" as one attendee recalled.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/clinton-on-work.html

They're not voting for her anyway.

I understand exactly where she was coming from. Those piece-of-shit rednecks (not all Southerners, just those that left the party) helped the GOP take the Congress a year earlier.

They should all die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

I understand exactly where she was coming from. Those piece-of-shit rednecks (not all Southerners, just those that left the party) helped the GOP take the Congress a year earlier.

So basically you think anyone that does not vote your way should die? Thanks for being honest about it.

As to her comment, so what, she is right, the people that left the party are of no concern to a politician, but they may still be their responsibility as an elected official.

Taken out of contect in this manner means nothing. Did she mean that as President Clinton should never do anything for them, or did she mean as A democrat Clinton owed them nothing?

The line is from "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective". It's meant to be funny. You need to chill out, sarge, and work on your sense of humor.

You really should think before you post, junior. As one of those "piece of shit Rednecks," I take exception to the ignorance dripping from your post.

Southern whites left the Democrat party because of Jimmy Carter ... not Bill Clinton. When Carter jerked the party to the left, we bailed. Simple as that.

Of course, your perspective is probably based on your lifespan; which, goes back to my original statement on ignorance.

The people of the US put the GOP in the driver's seat because the Dem Congress was useless. When the GOP Congress proved itself equally as useless, GOP voters did not support them and they got put out. The current Dem Congress is well on its way to being just as ineffective as the previous two.

I have no intention of either dying from gonorrhea or rotting in Hell.

Your entire post points to one overriding thing: are you even old enough to vote? You certainly have not displayed the maturity of someone who is.

The line is from "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective". It's meant to be funny. You need to chill out, sarge, and work on your sense of humor.

When plagarizing, you need to post a link. Taking your previous post at face value, there is nothing in it that would lead one to believe it was meant in a humorous vein.

Words on a screen do not always convey intent. Food for thought.

They're not voting for her anyway.

One of Hillary's biggest problems. Her memory doesn't appear to be quite as long as some people's. She has as much or more to overcome than Obama does with all of his eccentric buddies and causes.

So far, she doesn't seem to be pulling it off very well.

Personally, I wish she'd just stop yelling. Hillary, that's a microphone in front of you. Her yelling, IMO, appears like an extremely affected attempt at conveying emotion. But her voice is annoying when she does it.

When plagarizing, you need to post a link. Taking your previous post at face value, there is nothing in it that would lead one to believe it was meant in a humorous vein.

Words on a screen do not always convey intent. Food for thought.
Hyperbole:
A figure of speech in which the expression is an evident exaggeration of the meaning intended to be conveyed, or by which things are represented as much greater or less, better or worse, than they really are; a statement exaggerated fancifully, through excitement, or for effect.

Note the word "evident". Sorry for going over your head. If you explain a joke or a funny comment, it won't be funny.

Your entire post points to one overriding thing: are you even old enough to vote? You certainly have not displayed the maturity of someone who is.
Many of the conservatives I've encountered on this board engage in frequent ad hominen, straw person arguments, contradiction rather than reason or explanation as a form of debate, and hostile intolerance of persons based on his or her point of view. Is that what passes for maturity in your world?

I don't see you getting in their faces. Could you cite me to a thread or post where you scold a conservative for the conduct I've listed above?

Hyperbole:
A figure of speech in which the expression is an evident exaggeration of the meaning intended to be conveyed, or by which things are represented as much greater or less, better or worse, than they really are; a statement exaggerated fancifully, through excitement, or for effect.

Note the word "evident". Sorry for going over your head. If you explain a joke or a funny comment, it won't be funny.

If you try to be funny when no one knows you or your sense of humor because you've been around all of 3-4 days, it's ALSO not funny.

Again, taken at face value, your post looks like an extremist rant.

Many of the conservatives I've encountered on this board engage in frequent ad hominen, straw person arguments, contradiction rather than reason or explanation as a form of debate, and hostile intolerance of persons based on his or her point of view. Is that what passes for maturity in your world?

I don't see you getting in their faces. Could you cite me to a thread or post where you scold a conservative for the conduct I've listed above?

Are you going to be a pain in my ass? The only thing I said to you in any official capacity was to post a link, and I made an observation. The rest was my opinion of yours.

To clarify, when engaging in a debate, mods/admins are members of this board just as you are. We like to argue too. As it pertains to posting in a debate, we are fair game just as anyone else is. The only time you cannot question one of us in a public forum is if we area acting as mods/admin in an official capacity.

Neither myself, nor the two moderators on this board have a problem with differentiating between the two. Members who want to cause trouble and/or have to question everything do.

As far as the answer to your question, feel free to look as far back as the archives will allow you. I've flat gone to war with some of the conservatives on this board. A few of them will no longer post on this board because of me.

Answer your question?

Hyperbole:

Oh great, another liberal "professor." Just what the board needed.........

If the joke is funny, you don't have to explain it. If you have to explain, you need new material.

Hyperbole:

As stated elsewhere, this chump is a legend in his own mind....

If the joke is funny, you don't have to explain it. If you have to explain, you need new material.

In your case, I just need a smarter audience.

Compare Steven Wright with Larry the Cable Guy. Both are funny, but there isn't a big overlap between their respective audiences. A portion of each audience simply will not appreciate the other.

Now that I've identified your level, "git er done".

Forum List

Back