Clinton: Impeachment fight a 'badge of honor'

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Clinton: Impeachment fight a 'badge of honor'
Wednesday, June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:18 PM EDT (0118 GMT)

source: cnn.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Former President Bill Clinton called his fight against impeachment a "badge of honor" and his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky "morally indefensible" in a CBS television interview.

In the hourlong interview to air on CBS' "60 Minutes" on Sunday, two days before publication of his memoir, "My Life," Clinton said he was proud of his successful fight against impeachment, the network said in excerpts released on Wednesday.

"I didn't quit, I never thought of resigning and I stood up to it and beat it back," he said.

"The whole battle was a badge of honor. I don't see it as a stain, because it (the impeachment process) was illegitimate," added Clinton, who called the process "an abuse of power."

Clinton's 957-page memoir, published by Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Bertelsmann AG's Random House unit, hits bookstores next Tuesday. He was reportedly paid a $10 million advance for the book.

He told "60 Minutes" that high on his list of regrets was his affair with Lewinsky, which he called "a terrible moral error."

Clinton said his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and daughter, Chelsea, were able to overcome the effect of the revelation of the affair through counseling.

The former president said his wife, now a Democratic senator from New York, needed time with him to decide whether she would stay married to him.

"We'd take a day a week, and we did -- a whole day a week every week for a year, maybe a little more -- and did counseling," said Clinton. "We did it together. We did it individually. We did family work."

Clinton said there was no rational explanation for his adulterous behavior.

"I did something for the worst possible reason. Just because I could," the former president said. "I think that's just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything."

Clinton cited the record economic expansion during his eight years in the White House as his greatest domestic achievement.

"I kept score, how many people's lives were better off," he said, "the fact that we were able to have 22 million (new) jobs and record home ownership and lower interest rates."

He cited the day the war in Kosovo ended as one of the high points of his foreign policy. "The day that Kosovar war ended and I knew (former Yugoslav President Slobodan) Milosevic's days were numbered was a great day," he said.

The inability to broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal in his final days in office was a big disappointment, he said.

Interest in Clinton's book has been intense.

Bookstores in Washington and New York are considering staying open next Monday until after midnight to be able to make the first official sales of the $35 book.

His book is being pre-ordered at a record pace on Amazon.com in its autobiography and memoir category, outpacing pre-orders of his wife's hugely successful book, "Living History," by 7-to-1, a spokeswoman said.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Oh yeah, Clinton was a real badge of honor alright!:rolleyes:

It's old news Flasher! no need to defend Clinton anymore.

I'm not defending him, just posting this story about his new book.

He doesn't need me to defend him, he's done quite well himself.

well now is'nt that convenient for him to write a book? Worst part is people will buy it, and believe it. If you think the man's fight to save face was any sort of an honorable thing, then I suggest you go out and by that book and seek him out to autograph it! that would be a priceless treasure.:D

And if you think there was anything honorable about the Republican witchunt that began while Clinton still lived in Arkansas(edit:When the GOP was scared to death of this brilliant,personable Governor and his aspirations) and culminated with the disgraceful Ken Starr, then I suggest you don't know a whole lot about honor youself, Mr.Evil.

I will read the book, after I get my hands on a free copy. :rolleyes:

I made light of the post Flasher! never, ever question my honor!!:mad:

I don't really give a shit what the story was with Clinton when he lived in Arkansas, I concern myself with his time in office, and if you think that he has served this country honorably...... well then that's your opinion.

Alright, if you don't question my sense of honor I won't question yours.

If you think the man's fight to save face was any sort of an honorable thing, then I suggest you go out and by that book and seek him out to autograph it!

I think there is honor in knowing that you made a mistake, but knowing that your opposition is hell-bent on your destruction for their own self-serving purposes... and deciding to soldier on and stand up for what you believe in. I suppose that he believed an extra-marital blowjob did not disqualify him as President. Neither do I.

But let's not even go there...old ground as you said.

"The whole battle was a badge of honor. I don't see it as a stain, because it (the impeachment process) was illegitimate," added Clinton, who called the process "an abuse of power."

Oh PLEASE tell me he really didn'y use the word "stain":rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by nycflasher
..... but knowing that your opposition is hell-bent on your destruction for their own self-serving purposes... and deciding to soldier on and stand up for what you believe in....

Funny, that sounds like the current President..............

Just when you think Bubba can't get any more low or self serving he goes and tries to vainly twist his impeachment into an "honourable thing" LMAO! This clown is doing nothing more than trying to salvage his legacy. He needs to face the facts, he's only the 2nd president to be impeached, that will never change.

He also still doesn't get it, it wasn't about the bj, it was because he decided to set out on a deliberate pattern of lies and obstruction instead of being a man and owning up from day 1 when he knew he was caught with his hands in Monica's cookie jar. He decided to drag the country through hell and therefore deserved every thing he got.

Demos beware, your convention coming up, Bubba is gonna derail the Kerry campaign at the convention because his ego is too big and he's gonna try and make this convention about the Clintons. Plus the fact that Hillary wants to run in '08 and the Clintons aren't real pumped about a Kerry win in '04 has that will postpone that '08 deal. Mark my words they are going to shit in Kerry's nest.

Originally posted by dilloduck

Oh PLEASE tell me he really didn'y use the word "stain":rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

lol:p:

If some chick ever saves my cum stains......
good suggestion Linda, you pig.

Classic reply Flasher! It's not too hard to see that you have fallen into the category of the very far left!:rolleyes:

Hey even most Demos, for example PJ, know that Bubba getting exposure or poking his nose into this campaign which is part of what he's doing on 60 minutes will be the death knoll for the Demos. Flasher thinks the guy is brilliant, don't you think that says a little bit about Flasher?

Classic reply Flasher! It's not too hard to see that you have fallen into the category of the very far left!:rolleyes:

Just my opinion. I have evidence.

For example, Rhodes Scholar vs. C+ student.

Originally posted by OCA
Flasher thinks the guy is brilliant, don't you think that says a little bit about Flasher?

Go ahead, insult my intelligence because you disagree. I already know how your diseased, bigoted brain works.

Don't you think a Rhodes Scholar would've been smart enough to not go down the road of lies and obstruction of justice? Or to not protest his country on foriegn soil also known as treason?

Forget Bush. Your premise then is that C+ students are idiots?

Forum List

Back