Clinton: Bush should skip Olympic opening ceremonies

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Rebecca Sinderbrand
CNN Associate Political Editor

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton called on President Bush Monday to boycott the opening of this summer's Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

In a statement released by her campaign Monday, the New York senator pointed to recent protests in Tibet; and to the Chinese government's failure to pressure the government of Sudan to end the violence in Darfur.

"These events underscore why I believe the Bush administration has been wrong to downplay human rights in its policy towards China," said Clinton.

"At this time, and in light of recent events, I believe President Bush should not plan on attending the opening ceremonies in Beijing, absent major changes by the Chinese government."

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/07/clinton.olympics/index.html

I'm not sure whether or not I agree with this. What does it accomplish?

Bad publicity for the evildoers.

Okay. What does the bad publicity accomplish? Who doesn't know already about China's abuses in Tibet that would only find out by boycotting the opening ceremonies?

Carter boycotted the entire 1980 Summer Olympics. The only thing it accomplished was the USSR boycotting the 1984 Olympics.

The Olympic Games are supposed to be non-political.

China should be held accountable for its action in Tibet at the international level, IMO. However, I suspect words and/or boycotts will have the same effect they have on Iran. The international community will just get the finger.

I don't really have a problem with Bush doing it ... IF it's actually going to accomplish something.

just the tip of the iceberg...

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-6-1/55983.html

Tainted Products Continue to Flow out of China Thursday, May 31, 2007 ...

ASHINGTON—U.S. consumers should avoid any toothpaste made in China after the discovery of products containing a poisonous chemical, federal health officials said Friday, sparking more concern about Chinese consumer goods.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued the warning after toothpaste containing diethylene glycol, or DEG, was detected in a shipment seized at the border and in products sold at two stores. DEG, also known as diglycol or diglycol stearate, is used in solvents and antifreeze.

I think he's talking about China putting lead in our kids' toys.

Oh. :rolleyes:

Just noticed your response for the first time. So you think this is a protest that doesn't impact our athletes?

I think it does. The reason is because the opening ceremonies are part of the games. Not the actual competitive events, but still part of the Olympic Games. It kind of throws a damp rag on it, and it IS involving politics in the games.

My opinion is if we are going to boycott, then boycott the games altogether or not at all. I refer you to my previous post as far as questioning what boycotting will actually accomplish.

Oh. :rolleyes:

Just noticed your response for the first time. So you think this is a protest that doesn't impact our athletes?

I think it does. The reason is because the opening ceremonies are part of the games. Not the actual competitive events, but still part of the Olympic Games. It kind of throws a damp rag on it, and it IS involving politics in the games.

My opinion is if we are going to boycott, then boycott the games altogether or not at all. I refer you to my previous post as far as questioning what boycotting will actually accomplish.

There have always been politics in the games, even though we'd like ideally for there not to be. Think about it, Jesse Owens in Germany at the height of Hitler's nazi movement; the boycott in 1980 (stupidest thing ever), the murders of the Israeli atheletes in Munich... even the judging of things like ice skating and other subjective scoring.

FWIW, I don't like the idea of a total boycott because I still remember Kurt Thomas never being able to get his Olympics in 1980. After that, his back was trashed and he never got to go in 1984. I felt terrible for him.

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-11-16/48226.html

Epoch Times Staff on assignment in Warsaw Nov 16, 2006

SHOCKING: Former Canadian Secretary of State for Asia-Pacific David Kilgour reveals striking new evidence of organ harvesting from living Falun Gong prisoners of conscience in China, at Asia Human Rights Week in Warsaw on
November 14. (Jan Jekielek/The Epoch Times)

A Chinese military surgeon had eight Chinese citizens killed to supply a single foreign patient with a new kidney, said former Canadian Secretary of State for Asia-Pacific David Kilgour on November 14. Kilgour spoke as a special guest at the Asian Human Rights Week forum in Warsaw, on day two of a five day program.

"The incredible thing is that the doctor would…go down the names on sheets of paper looking for blood types and tissue types and so on, and he [the patient] would point at names on the list. The doctor would then go away and come back with organs," said Kilgour.

While conducting research in Asia, Kilgour interviewed a now 35 year-old man (name and nationality withheld) who received a kidney transplant at Shanghai No. 1 People's Hospital in 2003. The man said that his surgeon was Dr Tan Jianming, Secretary General of the Chinese Research Society of Dialysis and Transplantation. Dr Tan also holds top posts in a number of Chinese military and civilian hospitals.

The patient suffered from an antibody condition that made it difficult to find a suitable kidney. Over an eight day period, four separate kidneys were brought to him and tested, said Kilgour. When none of those worked, three months later he tried another four – the last of which was a fit. The man was later transferred to No. 85 Hospital of the People's Liberation Army to convalesce.

Dr Tan told the man explicitly that these organs came from executed Chinese prisoners, and that at least some of the organs had been harvested secretly, against the donors' will.

"I am certain that at least some of these were Falun Gong practitioners who never went near a court, who were never convicted of anything,"
Evidence of China Organ Harvesting Revealed

China: Tainted Drugs Remain Threat to Life
By Jake Hooker and Walt Bogdanich
The New York Times
January 31, 2008
BEIJING — A huge state-owned Chinese pharmaceutical company that exports to dozens of countries, including the United States, is at the center of a nationwide drug scandal after nearly 200 Chinese cancer patients were paralyzed or otherwise harmed last summer by contaminated leukemia drugs.
Chinese drug regulators have accused the manufacturer of the tainted drugs of a cover-up and have closed the factory that produced them. In December, China’s Food and Drug Administration said that the Shanghai police had begun a criminal investigation and that two officials, including the head of the plant, had been detained.Read the rest:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/world/asia/31pharma.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
Ads by Google

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-11-16/48226.html

Epoch Times Staff on assignment in Warsaw Nov 16, 2006

SHOCKING: Former Canadian Secretary of State for Asia-Pacific David Kilgour reveals striking new evidence of organ harvesting from living Falun Gong prisoners of conscience in China, at Asia Human Rights Week in Warsaw on
November 14. (Jan Jekielek/The Epoch Times)

A Chinese military surgeon had eight Chinese citizens killed to supply a single foreign patient with a new kidney, said former Canadian Secretary of State for Asia-Pacific David Kilgour on November 14. Kilgour spoke as a special guest at the Asian Human Rights Week forum in Warsaw, on day two of a five day program.

"The incredible thing is that the doctor would…go down the names on sheets of paper looking for blood types and tissue types and so on, and he [the patient] would point at names on the list. The doctor would then go away and come back with organs," said Kilgour.

While conducting research in Asia, Kilgour interviewed a now 35 year-old man (name and nationality withheld) who received a kidney transplant at Shanghai No. 1 People's Hospital in 2003. The man said that his surgeon was Dr Tan Jianming, Secretary General of the Chinese Research Society of Dialysis and Transplantation. Dr Tan also holds top posts in a number of Chinese military and civilian hospitals.

The patient suffered from an antibody condition that made it difficult to find a suitable kidney. Over an eight day period, four separate kidneys were brought to him and tested, said Kilgour. When none of those worked, three months later he tried another four – the last of which was a fit. The man was later transferred to No. 85 Hospital of the People's Liberation Army to convalesce.

Dr Tan told the man explicitly that these organs came from executed Chinese prisoners, and that at least some of the organs had been harvested secretly, against the donors' will.

"I am certain that at least some of these were Falun Gong practitioners who never went near a court, who were never convicted of anything,"
Evidence of China Organ Harvesting Revealed

Please feel free to point out what this has to do with the topic.

There have always been politics in the games, even though we'd like ideally for there not to be. Think about it, Jesse Owens in Germany at the height of Hitler's nazi movement; the boycott in 1980 (stupidest thing ever), the murders of the Israeli atheletes in Munich... even the judging of things like ice skating and other subjective scoring.

FWIW, I don't like the idea of a total boycott because I still remember Kurt Thomas never being able to get his Olympics in 1980. After that, his back was trashed and he never got to go in 1984. I felt terrible for him.

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly where I stand on this. I don't disagree with your opinion.

Just not sure I agree with doing something that will mean exactly nothing.

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly where I stand on this. I don't disagree with your opinion.

Just not sure I agree with doing something that will mean exactly nothing.

I understand your point. I guess I feel like it's at least better not to look like we approve of China's policies. I mean, China on one side... the Dalai Lama on the other? I figure karma's with us if we support the Dalai Lama. ;)

I think he's talking about China putting lead in our kids' toys.

Do you know that they farm fish and seafood for EXPORT HERE IN SEWAGE.............and you're probably eating it down at your local CAT CAFE................... ?:eusa_drool:

It extends way beyond toys.....................but that is the tip of the que rack!:eusa_whistle:

Please feel free to point out what this has to do with the topic.

my point is this.. every penny you put into china's economy buys them more nuclear weapons they point right at you..that they are the prototype of the globalist dream..and that's why they embrace them..as they sell us poison made by slaves and harvest organs of the living..for money..to build their armys..

my point is this.. every penny you put into china's economy buys them more nuclear weapons they point right at you..that they are the prototype of the globalist dream..and that's why they embrace them..as they sell us poison made by slaves and harvest organs of the living..for money..to build their armys..

which has what to do with the price of rice in China????

(sorry...bad joke. couldn't resist.)

seriously, what does that have to do with whether we should boycott the opening ceremonies or not?

which has what to do with the price of rice in China????

(sorry...bad joke. couldn't resist.)

seriously, what does that have to do with whether we should boycott the opening ceremonies or not?

well I think yes.. in light of their solent green horror show and slave labour
toxic avenger poisoning of our food and goods..and complete violation of human rights..the loss of our domestic manufacturing..and their ever increasing military..we should boycott the whole dam place

well I think yes.. in light of their solent green horror show and slave labour
toxic avenger poisoning of our food and goods..and complete violation of human rights..the loss of our domestic manufacturing..and their ever increasing military..we should boycott the whole dam place

If we boycott it's a disgrace to them............................but if we boycott all the American Corporations that moved their manufacturing there to deliberately take advantage of slavery and environmental laws would send a better message!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_think: :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back