Clinton(bill) given Leading Role at Party’s Convention

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
From a cursory perspective this makes complete sense; any popular former pres. will campaign and play surrogate attack dog for his party, its his duty, like its Bushs duty to sit it out because hes not as popular with rep's as Bill is with his own, plus Bush won't get any cross over votes that may be up for grabs but Bill may.;)

However, that being said, some caveats;

a) Bill may really think Hillary has a shot again in 2016, so, does he hope obama gets reelected which may mean she has a better shot IF he doesn't or cannot work out the economy ( which I don't think bill thinks obama can) or due to 8 year same party fatigue she doesn't have a better shot and he wants Obama to go down then?
Which of course doesn't mean bill will bad mouth Obama straight up, but he has been known to throw out some comments and blurbs as his own form of petty sabotage, I don't think he likes Obama that much personally. :eusa_boohoo:

b) The real Question imho is- Will Clinton's prominence and reminders of past glory back fire?
In that, he doesn't create a huge enthusiastic groundswell for obama but drives people instead toward feelings of apathetic ennui?

Most especially among the targets that Axelrod thinks he can get- sideline sitters made up of moderate dems and most importantly Independents , the danger being their memories of Clinton as a guy who would bargain across the aisle and compromise if he had too, where in the pay off was/is= he got things done and didn't take his eye off the big picture, as compared to the Presidential Candidate- Obama who unlike Bill did not face a hostile congress, but had the majorities he needed in both houses for 2 years, yet, here we sit struck in this economy (and he unlike Clinton still has the senate too).....this is a dangerous play, Clinton and Obama stand in stark contrast the closer to the center one gets.

The overarching message I think those folks will take out of this Clinton highlight is; Obama is not Clinton and Clinton ain't running, Obama is and it will just remind folks of everything they thought they wold get, but didn't..........

There fore I think they are miscalculating OR that several million $$$ ( a record) they have been spending on that internal polling has told them along with the obvious, the crappy gdp &economy etc. its just about panic time.

Bill Clinton to Have Leading Role at Party’s Convention
By JEFF ZELENY
Published: July 29, 2012

WASHINGTON — Former President Bill Clinton is set to play a central part in the Democratic convention, aides said, and will formally place President Obama’s name into nomination by delivering a prime-time speech designed to present a forceful economic argument for why Mr. Obama deserves to win a second term.

The prominent role of Mr. Clinton, which is scheduled to be announced on Monday, signals an effort by the Obama campaign to pull out all the stops to rally Democrats when they gather for their party’s national convention in Charlotte, N.C. An even more important audience will be the voters across the country who will see the address carried by television networks.

“There isn’t anybody on the planet who has a greater perspective on not just the last four years, but the last two decades, than Bill Clinton,” David Axelrod, a top strategist to the Obama campaign, said in an interview on Sunday. “He can really articulate the choice that is before people.”

more at-

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/u...ee-role-at-democratic-convention.html?_r=1&hp

They are extremely desperate if they are turning to Clinton. He does not like Obama and risking him making a mockery out of Obama means they dont have anything else.

Bill Clinton is something of a loose cannon, you never know what he's gonna say. And he isn't afraid to speak his mind either, but in this case I see it as a big plus for Obama cuz Clinton adds the impression of competence to the democrats that they ain't got.

Clinton reminds me of pre-9/11 America.

Much happier times.

More like, illusionary times. We had the illusion of an economy stronger than it actually was. An illusion of safety despite Al Qaeda waging war on us.

Personally, Id rather have my happiness built on a foundation of truth. Which it is:)

Clinton reminds me of pre-9/11 America.

Much happier times.

More like, illusionary times. We had the illusion of an economy stronger than it actually was. An illusion of safety despite Al Qaeda waging war on us.

Personally, Id rather have my happiness built on a foundation of truth. Which it is:)

Considering that our dollar is faith-based currency we've been living an economic illusion for quite some time.

Bill Clinton was the last generally well regarded democrat. obama is giving up and asking for help from the last person who had the democrats united.

There is no telling what Clinton will do and he has taken quite a few pot shots at obama in the past.

Notice the repubs want nothing to do with the Bushes, Bill and Bush Sr. are so close, Clinton gets to spend the night at their house, Bush jr has to stay at the Marriot.

Bill Clinton is something of a loose cannon, you never know what he's gonna say. And he isn't afraid to speak his mind either, but in this case I see it as a big plus for Obama cuz Clinton adds the impression of competence to the democrats that they ain't got.

true, but at the end of the day it aint Clinton on the ticket, and I think there are some not upset, but wistful former ( now not so former) Hillary sptters who may just stay at home...and they are among the folks axelrod needs.......as deep a feeling that sense of competence you mentioned goes, inho just as deep will be the sense of 'I wish we had that now, we didn't get it' feeling ....which equals= peace out for election day.

Former President Bill Clinton ...

Presidents symbolize all 50 States in general appeal and was the President that Balanced the Budget and began paying down the National deficit - exemplifying what occurred afterwards by the Republicans culminating into the Great Recession ...

Clinton is also perceived as a national proponent for woman's rights and the struggle against the Republican war against Women.

the danger being their memories of Clinton as a guy who would bargain across the aisle and compromise if he had too, where in the pay off was/is= he got things done and didn't take his eye off the big picture, as compared to the Presidential Candidate- Obama who unlike Bill did not face a hostile congress, but had the majorities he needed in both houses for 2 years

You are delusional or a partisan hack if this is your comparative summary of the two.

The Democrats don't deserve to have Clinton campaign for them in any way. Then again, maybe Obama himself does. Obama is about as close as there is left to a Third Way Democrat nowadays. I hope that Clinton's speech blasts the party for failing to get on board.

the danger being their memories of Clinton as a guy who would bargain across the aisle and compromise if he had too, where in the pay off was/is= he got things done and didn't take his eye off the big picture, as compared to the Presidential Candidate- Obama who unlike Bill did not face a hostile congress, but had the majorities he needed in both houses for 2 years

You are delusional or a partisan hack if this is your comparative summary of the two.

The Democrats don't deserve to have Clinton campaign for them in any way. Then again, maybe Obama himself does. Obama is about as close as there is left to a Third Way Democrat nowadays. I hope that Clinton's speech blasts the party for failing to get on board.

You are the delusional one if you think for one minute that Obama is interested in a Third Way or any other way except the far left liberal big gov't tax and spend way.

Forum List

Back