Clinton and Obama make a deal

Tristan

Aug 5, 2008
Clinton, Obama working out deal for roll call vote
Clinton, Obama working out deal for roll call vote - Las Vegas Sun
The Associated Press
Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama are working on a deal to give her some votes in the roll call for the Democratic presidential nomination, but quickly end the divided balloting in unanimous consent for Obama.

Democratic officials involved in the negotiations said Monday the idea is that at the start of the state-by-state vote for the presidential nomination Wednesday night, delegates would cast their votes for Clinton or Obama.

But the voting would be cut off after a couple of states, the officials said, perhaps ending with New York, when Clinton herself would call for unanimous backing for Obama from the convention floor. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity while the deal was being finalized.

Clinton said she has told her delegates she will vote for Obama, but she would not instruct them how to vote.

Well... at least Michigan and Florida will count. :lol::lol:

Hillary has found a way to get herself some votes and try not to be the bad guy but, why in the world Obama agreed to this I'll never know. Is she really that strong even this week? Oh well, it will be fun to watch!

Clinton, Obama working out deal for roll call vote
Clinton, Obama working out deal for roll call vote - Las Vegas Sun
The Associated Press

Well... at least Michigan and Florida will count. :lol::lol:

Hillary has found a way to get herself some votes and try not to be the bad guy but, why in the world Obama agreed to this I'll never know. Is she really that strong even this week? Oh well, it will be fun to watch!

I heard a spinster say, well the roll call vote will show unity...:wtf:

It's about party unity.

The Hillanistas deserve Democratic respect.

They won one hell of a lot of votes, their policies are solidly democratic, and Hillary is falling on her sword to give the Oval Office to the Dems. that has GOT to be one helluva hard thing to do for a woman of her talent and ambition.

It's almost as though somebody replaced the entire Democratic leadership with Pod-politicians.

I, for one, am damned impressed.

It's about party unity.

The Hillanistas deserve Democratic respect.

They won one hell of a lot of votes, their policies are solidly democratic, and Hillary is falling on her sword to give the Oval Office to the Dems. that has GOT to be one helluva hard thing to do for a woman of her talent and ambition.

It's almost as though somebody replaced the entire Democratic leadership with Pod-politicians.

I, for one, am damned impressed.

how exactly is she doing that?

No floor fight. Even now, it's possible she could win the Dem nomination.

she has fewer delegates, so she lost. her admitting she lost is falling on the sword? i dont quite see it

Pledged delegates aren't exactly pledged. They have the option to change their vote. If she continued to push the issue, it would hurt Obama.

she has fewer delegates, so she lost. her admitting she lost is falling on the sword? i dont quite see it

She hasn't lost the nomination offically until the finally ballot is cast.

So the fact that she is backing Obama now, rather than tearing apart the party in a battle for the nomination is, I think, at least, a noble act of putting the Party (and nation) ahead of her own ambitions.

She hasn't lost the nomination offically until the finally ballot is cast.

So the fact that she is backing Obama now, rather than tearing apart the party in a battle for the nomination is, I think, at least, a noble act of putting the Party (and nation) ahead of her own ambitions.

well, if she tore the party apart and somehow managed to win the nomination, she would disenfranchise the obama supporters and almost certainly lose the election, which would hurt her ambitions, correct? so she isnt sacrificing here, she is doing the only thing she really can do if she wants another run at the presidency.

but, we've just reached different conclusions

Does anyone remember if Bill Bradley had to pretend to be thrilled to pieces when he lost the nomination or if he had to lie prostrate in order to satisfy the democratic party heads at that time?

Seems a lot more is being asked of Hillary than anyone before her who came this close to winning...

just saying.

Does anyone remember if Bill Bradley had to pretend to be thrilled to pieces when he lost the nomination or if he had to lie prostrate in order to satisfy the democratic party heads at that time?

Seems a lot more is being asked of Hillary than anyone before her who came this close to winning...

just saying.

a lot seems to be expected of obama to "accomodate" hillary and her supporters, as well.

i think everyone is way too sensitive

a lot seems to be expected of obama to "accomodate" hillary and her supporters, as well.

i think everyone is way too sensitive
Well, they do want our votes, don't you think? Personally, I don't feel "accomodated" and if Hillary laughed at Obama I might actually be more pleased.

But I'm not a politician.

And then some.

might be... and some hillarybots would have waterboarded Obama...

which is why it's time for us to think about OUR self-interest instead of theirs... and McCain 2008 doesn't represent any of the moderate things he represented in 2000.

So that's what it comes down to for me... not cutting off nose to spite face.

Forum List

Back