Clinton Admin. Linked OBL to Somalia Attack Before Sudan Offer

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
When the Clinton administration decided to turn down Sudan's offer to have Osama bin Laden arrested and extradited to the U.S., it already knew that the notorious 9/11 mastermind was behind the Black Hawk Down attack in Somalia in 1993, an upcoming 9/11 Commission witness is prepared to testify.

According to Mansoor Ijaz, who served as a diplomatic troubleshooter for President Clinton in the late 1990s, bin Laden was offered by Sudanese Defense Minister Elfatih Erwa during a meeting with the CIA's Africa Bureau chief in a Virginia hotel room in March 1996.

Instead of accepting the offer, however, Clinton officials pressed Sudan to expel bin Laden to any country other than Somalia, Ijaz told WDAY North Dakota radio host Scott Hennen on Wednesday.

"[The Clinton administration] did not want him to go to Somalia because, guess what - they knew that bin Laden was behind the attacks against our helicopter pilot in Black Hawk Down in Somalia in 1993," he explained.

"Wait and see what hell I raise about that in the testimony that I give," said Ijaz, who is scheduled to appear before the 9/11 Commission on May 7.

According to Ijaz, Erwa told the CIA case officer, "If [the U.S.] has any legal basis, any indictment, anything that you can show us that you're prepared to try bin Laden on American soil, we will hand him over to you."

But the Sudanese offer was met with "dead silence" from the CIA case officer, Ijaz contends. "Literally, that offer was left on the dining table in that Alexandria hotel room," he lamented.

In Feb. 2002, ex-President Clinton admitted that he knew about the Sudanese offer, and personally decided to turn it down, telling a New York business group, "At the time, 1996, [bin Laden] had committed no crimes against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him."

Ijaz's account, however, would contradict Clinton's claim that bin Laden had committed "no crimes against America" before 1996.

Read the rest here:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/22/103049.shtml

I've read Dick Clarke's book and for the most part its a history of terrorism and what exactly the CIA knew from the early 90s to today. According to Dick Clarke, in 1993 the CIA only knew that bin Laden existed, it wasn't until late 96 that that the CIA knew al Qaeda existed. From about 93 to 96, they only thought of bin Laden as one of many financiers of terrorism.

About Sudan, there are many reasons why Sudan wouldn't give bin Laden up and many why they would. I doubt though that Ijaz will be the one to bring out the truth.

Until the full truth is exposed I'm leaning towards believing someone who isn't publishing a book and was previously shitcanned by the Bush administration. I'm curious to hear the details of his testimony to the 9/11 commission.

I don't think Clinton or anyone purposely allowed OBL to go free to commit terror acts, but I do think it was a fuck-up nonetheless.

I thought what Clarke was saying about what the CIA knew was pretty credible.

We'll have to wait for the history books to be written before the truth of whether or not a Sudan deal was offered is true. And then if it was offered, and the Clinton admin had accepted, whether the sudanese would actually have come through, and all of this has to happen before spring is over and bin Laden goes to Afghanistan.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Until the full truth is exposed I'm leaning towards believing someone who isn't publishing a book and was previously shitcanned by the Bush administration. I'm curious to hear the details of his testimony to the 9/11 commission.

I don't think Clinton or anyone purposely allowed OBL to go free to commit terror acts, but I do think it was a fuck-up nonetheless.

Yeah, hard to imagine Clinton(even if you dislike him for many reasons) would let a terrorist go FOR ANY REASON OTHER THAN we had no evidence to hold him on. Obviously, however, any evidence revealed that OBL slipped through our fingers is disheartening.

I mean, then there is the instance of the FBI knowing that some SOB was attempting to purchase crop-dusters and learn how to fly planes with no interest in how to land!

Shoulda.Woulda.Coulda. Didn't.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yeah, hard to imagine Clinton(even if you dislike him for many reasons) would let a terrorist go FOR ANY REASON OTHER THAN we had no evidence to hold him on. Obviously, however, any evidence revealed that OBL slipped through our fingers is disheartening.

I mean, then there is the instance of the FBI knowing that some SOB was attempting to purchase crop-dusters and learn how to fly planes with no interest in how to land!

Shoulda.Woulda.Coulda. Didn't.

Learn from our mistakes and move on. The Blame Game gets us no where.

Right. Although I suppose it is human nature to be curious if this could have been prevented by one administration or the other.

I hope Bush.
Most of you prob. hope Clinton.

But that's neither here no there. Our motivations are mainly that it would def. determine the results of this coming election.

But for the most part, yeah, I'm not really interested in the blame game.

As someone said to me in another thread, something like "what's really important is that OBL and co. did this to us." Let's not forget who OUR REAL enemy is.

Originally posted by nycflasher

I dont know about that. From what i understand he pardoned a number of terrorists the day before he left office.

Forum List

Back