Climategate - Round 2. How will the AGW proponents justify this one?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Foxfyre, Nov 25, 2011.

?

Which statement(s) most accurately reflects your opinion?

1. Global warming is happening and mostly human caused. We can fix it.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. AGW is a myth supported by those who profit from it.

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Global warming is happening but we are powerless to stop it.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Humankind should be researching how to adapt to natural climate change.

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. We should be more concerned about an impending ice age.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. Climate change is natural and inevitable.

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  7. None of the above and I'll explain in my post.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Forbes magazine has commented on the newest data in the Climategate scandal:

I wonder how our AGW supporting friends will handle this new information?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    I'll even help out the AGW proponents with a left leaning commentary from NPR:

So there's your debate folks. Seemingly damning e-mails admitting manipulation by the scientific community countered with accusing the fossil fuel industry of smearing, innuendo,and criminal hacking of websites.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I work in a place were there are some world class GWer's.

having spoken with a number of them, I have noticed a few things; 1) the ones who really are serious about getting to the bottom of it, don't like the fact that the UN has helped turn the whole thing into a 'theme' and a circus, the Copenhagen lead off film is a perfect example- hyperbole so far out its embarrassing, a lot of them agreed on that2) the ones how are seriously on the fence never talk much in front of the ones who 'believe' 3) when I brought up no.2 with a few of them and asked why they weren't very verbal amongst their peers, they both looked at me and said and I am paraphrasing- 'hey you can figure it out. I like my position here'.

my stance is, I am not sure how much we are doing, as in harm, the more obvious things are, well obvious, yet there is a natural cycle too. Science should not be conducted by berserkers, once I heard someone describe a berserker as someone who redoubles their effort but has lost grasp of how to pursue their aim in a fundamental way. That fits I think.

I think we should all be aware of and good stewards of the environment, but its become religion now. Logic has appeared to have fled and honest debate has left town.

4. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    2,3 & 5.

5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    There is no one more passionate on the environment than I am if you factor in common sense coupled with integrity. As long as I can type or speak, I will be promoting clean air, clean water, clean soil, aesthetic beauty, and appreciation for all living things.

But when you read testimony after testimony of those who lose their grants or jobs or who are made outcasts and pariahs if they don't at least give lip service to the AGW 'religion' it doesn't take a genius to legitimately question the integrity.

And when you see massive inefficiency in efforts to promote environmental efficiency in energy production, reduction of emissions, etc. etc. etc. along with an increasing cost in individual liberties and prosperity, it doesn't take a genius to legitimately question the common sense.

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Foxyre, you are a liar. Anyone that understands anything at all about the environment has seen what has been happening in a warming world. Anyone with the least understanding of science grasps the fact that you cannot increase the GHGs in the atmosphere by large percentages without changing the climate. When you change the climate, you change the environment.

The burning of fossil fuels is one of the primary, if not the primary, cause of pollution in our environment. From the poisoning of the land and rivers from the mountaintop removal of coal mining, the the lead and mercury in the atmosphere from the burning of coal. Add the poisoning of rivers by flyash. And you fellows fought tooth and nail to allow the generation plants to continue to pour sulphates and sulfides into the air, poisoning our lakes and killing our forests. Acid rain was and is a problem.

The environment is changing to rapidly for many species of plants and animals to adapt. From the changing temperatures that create environments that favor insect pests over forests, to the acidification of the ocean. These are the effects of putting 40% more CO2 into the atmosphere. To state that you cannot see the results and that you are an environmentalists is like the Nazis that claimed to have Jewish freinds.

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Or maybe 2, 3 & 6? There's no vote for #5 :)

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Well first, there WERE Nazis who had Jewish friends. Oscar Schindler comes immediately to mind.

Secondly, I should take seriously the opinion of somebody who calls me a liar when I haven't yet expressed an opinion on climate change?

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Pretty apparent you position from the wording of the questions in the poll.

My opinion does not count. What counts is that you claim to be an environmentalist, yet take a position that the scientists that have been trying to warn us concerning what is happening in our environment are liars and frauds.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Why don't you reread the poll and the two opposing posts I started the thread with and offer a reasoned rebuttal? You look like a leftwing wacko loon attacking me instead of the thesis.