Climategate, AP Not Impressed

Dr. Chris Landsea

Letter of Resignation from the IPCC
Dear colleagues,

After some prolonged deliberation, I have decided to withdraw from participating in the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns.

With this open letter to the community, I wish to explain the basis for my decision and bring awareness to what I view as a problem in the IPCC process. The IPCC is a group of climate researchers from around the world that every few years summarize how climate is changing and how it may be altered in the future due to manmade global warming. I had served both as an author for the Observations chapter and a Reviewer for the 2nd Assessment Report in 1995 and the 3rd Assessment Report in 2001, primarily on the topic of tropical cyclones (hurricanes and typhoons). My work on hurricanes, and tropical cyclones more generally, has been widely cited by the IPCC. For the upcoming AR4, I was asked several weeks ago by the Observations chapter Lead Author - Dr. Kevin Trenberth - to provide the writeup for Atlantic hurricanes. As I had in the past, I agreed to assist the IPCC in what I thought was to be an important, and politically-neutral determination of what is happening with our climate.

I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability, nor were they reporting on any new work in the field.

- Prometheus: Chris Landsea Leaves IPCC Archives

Adding his voice to what appears to be a growing chorus of scientists speaking out against the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory, former astronaut and moonwalker Harrison Schmitt says that many scientists have sold out their objectivity for political reasons.

In some very strongly worded statements, Dr. Schmitt lets it be known that he does not agree with the theory than man is predominantly responsible for global warming. He said, “I don’t think the human effect is significant compared to the natural effect.”
Former astronaut Harrison Schmitt calls global warming a ‘political tool’

Dr. Phil Chapman wrote in The Australian on April 23. "All those urging action to curb global warming need to take off the blinkers and give some thought to what we should do if we are facing global cooling instead."Chapman neither can be caricatured as a greedy oil-company lobbyist nor dismissed as a flat-Earther. He was a Massachusetts Institute of Technology staff physicist, NASA's first Australian-born astronaut, and Apollo 14's Mission Scientist.Chapman believes reduced sunspot activity is curbing temperatures. As he elaborates, "there is a close correlation between variations on the sunspot cycle and Earth's climate." Anecdotally, last winter brought record cold to Florida, Mexico, and Greece, and rare snow to Jerusalem, Damascus, and Baghdad. China endured brutal ice and snow. NASA satellites found that last winter's Arctic Sea ice covered 2 million square kilometers (772,000 square miles) more than the last three years' average.
Globe may be cooling on Global Warming | ScrippsNews

Again, discovery is the true nature of science, and limiting that discovery based on so called consensus conclusions has little to do with science. I remind you all that consensus only until recently said that Pluto was the 9th Planet in the Solar system.

"I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability, nor were they reporting on any new work in the field."

Yeah, like that matters to the Warmers who go: Conclusion first, fake science to back it up second

The more interesting and potentially controversial result is that our data indicate surface water temperatures during a part of the Medieval Warm Period that are similar to today’s…”

“Although there are significant uncertainties with our own reconstruction, our work raises the idea that perhaps even the Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstructions need to be looked at more closely.”

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: News Release : New Temperature Reconstruction from Indo-Pacific Warm Pool

The First Word in an Unfolding Story

August 27, 2009
Media Relations Office
93 Water Street MS #16
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

I heard this on the 24/7 news as well, that the emails (in context) do nothing to take away from global warming....

wonder who the thief was.... was this ever determined?
Well the CON$ without any evidence whatsoever, of course, claimed it was an inside whistle blower, but the Russians are taking credit for the leak.
You really should be more careful about blatantly lying like that.

The original story HERE is the source.

This is clearly not the work of some hacker, but of an insider who’s now blown the whistle.
Murdoch"s Herald Sun is hardly a reliable source, but your same link also gives this tidbit a mere 3 sentences later:

"Hackers have broken into the data base of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit - one of the world’s leading alarmist centres - and put the files they stole on the Internet, on the grounds that the science is too important to be kept under wraps."

And then we have the Daily Mail saying this:

The FSB - formerly the KGB - confirmed that thousands of messages to and from scientists at the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit were distributed to the world from the city of Tomsk, as revealed by The Mail on Sunday last week.

Edthecynic, the Jews at Masada could have been inspired by you and your fellow Warmers who have decided to make a stand in the face of Infinite odds against you.

Then why have we have 11 years of cooling temperatures while CO2 emmisions have risen? Would someone please answer that question. I wanna know.

I want to know why you are so damned stupid. The last eleven years have seen record temperatures. Even 2008, with a strong and persistant La Nina, and a solar minimum, ranked eighth or ninth warmest ever.

1998 had an exceptionally strong El Nino. So if you start you line there, you get a slight cooling up to 2009. Should you start your line at 1997, or 1999, you get a slight increase. But if you go with a median line from 1880 until present., you see a continued strong rise.

Your cooling is a product of dishonest use of medians. But then, that does not matter at all to you, does it. Much more important to disprove an inconvenient truth, than to acknowledge reality.

I can tell you right now, that we have had the coolest summer in 09 than we have had in 15 years, and so far this winter is colder than a well digger's ass. Last year was no picnic either, freezing ass cold. So if you can provide that weather chart than do so, but I am not experiencing any warming in my area and have never felt or seen ANY EVIDENCE that man has created this global warming. I don't deny climate change but that has occured even before man was here.

Thousands of years ago the planet was covered in ice, that changed before man even came on the scene. You can't blame man for that thaw out.
In typical CON$ervative stupidity, the weather on your block is the same for the entire globe. :cuckoo:

Even though you asked for a chart, I'm sure you will ignore it and continue parroting CON$ervative "logic."

get-file.php

Nice mischaracterization....You're usually not this intellectually dishonest.

When the inner circle destroys information and locks out all contravening views, then even the honest scientists only have cooked information upon which to base their further studies.

Mischaracterization? No.

You expect the work of a few scientists to deframe all of the others work. THAT is mischaracterization Dude.

East Anglia emails discuss framing info so that the data supports the stated goals and also discuss methods by which calculations can be made using a "trick" to show warming. We also know that EA destroyed their raw data so there is no way to check the calculations for accuracy.

We know that Dr. Hansen has retroactively adjusted every temperature before 1999 in a way that accentuates a warming trend adding a total of 1 full degree to the increase in warming.

We know that NASA, GISS and NOAA all share info.

So, we are pretty sure that HadCru, GISS, NASA and NOAA all cook the numbers and are all in agreement.

What else do we need to know?

Are there any other scientists in this field with greater credibility than these?
You KNOW absolutely nothing.

And that "trick" was to use REAL temp data. Only deniers would consider REAL data "tricky." :cuckoo:

Well the CON$ without any evidence whatsoever, of course, claimed it was an inside whistle blower, but the Russians are taking credit for the leak.

Murdoch"s Herald Sun is hardly a reliable source, but your same link also gives this tidbit a mere 3 sentences later:

"Hackers have broken into the data base of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit - one of the world’s leading alarmist centres - and put the files they stole on the Internet, on the grounds that the science is too important to be kept under wraps."

The FSB - formerly the KGB - confirmed that thousands of messages to and from scientists at the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit were distributed to the world from the city of Tomsk, as revealed by The Mail on Sunday last week.
My link was to the ORIGINAL STORY, fuckwit, not to downstreamers like the Daily Mail or Herald Sun.

What delusions? Like your being a freshman in liberal arts and thinking that you know much of anything about science? :lol:

How pathetic. :lol:

Having to attack my real life status to try and prove your point. Due to the fact that your arguments by itself is neither valid nor sound.

My link was to the ORIGINAL STORY, fuckwit, not to downstreamers like the Daily Mail or Herald Sun.

Huh? Your link was to the Herald Sun..a blog no less (hardly a story)..

The irony is not lost on me that the Herald Sun has a reputation down here for being a rag...not only that, but Mr Bolt puts that story out when meteorologists came out last week stating that this past decade will be Australia's HOTTEST EVER ON RECORD...some irony there...:cool:

I want to know why you are so damned stupid. The last eleven years have seen record temperatures. Even 2008, with a strong and persistant La Nina, and a solar minimum, ranked eighth or ninth warmest ever.

1998 had an exceptionally strong El Nino. So if you start you line there, you get a slight cooling up to 2009. Should you start your line at 1997, or 1999, you get a slight increase. But if you go with a median line from 1880 until present., you see a continued strong rise.

Your cooling is a product of dishonest use of medians. But then, that does not matter at all to you, does it. Much more important to disprove an inconvenient truth, than to acknowledge reality.

I can tell you right now, that we have had the coolest summer in 09 than we have had in 15 years, and so far this winter is colder than a well digger's ass. Last year was no picnic either, freezing ass cold. So if you can provide that weather chart than do so, but I am not experiencing any warming in my area and have never felt or seen ANY EVIDENCE that man has created this global warming. I don't deny climate change but that has occured even before man was here.

Thousands of years ago the planet was covered in ice, that changed before man even came on the scene. You can't blame man for that thaw out.
In typical CON$ervative stupidity, the weather on your block is the same for the entire globe. :cuckoo:

Even though you asked for a chart, I'm sure you will ignore it and continue parroting CON$ervative "logic."

get-file.php

So the nation producing the most manmade CO2 actually has colder temperatures?

Why am I the last to hear of this?

This just in!

The AP releases their findings on all the permutations and conjugations of the word "is", finds Clinton semantically innocent!

:lol:

That's some funny shit right there!

As a matter of fact, I am. But, you don't have to believe me.

As a matter of fact, you are not. If you were, you would post evidence in a heartbeat.
Right. I'm going to post evidence of my peer-reviewed publications and evidence of the publications (lettter, articles, presentations, chapters, and text books) and grant proposals I have peer-reviewed so that all can have personal information on me.

Take another hit from your bong, Jake. All will be OK.

determines they do nothing to change the science of global warming.

Must read AP analysis of stolen emails: An “exhaustive review” shows “the exchanges don’t undercut the vast body of evidence showing the world is warming because of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.” « Climate Progress

And I read this is a local conservative newspaper also. So, Limbaugh will be beating a dead horse for months to come...HA!

Then why have we have 11 years of cooling temperatures while CO2 emmisions have risen? Would someone please answer that question. I wanna know.

Because your claim is absolutely 100% untrue.

Forum List

Back