Climategate 2.0: Santer angry over not being able to silence skeptics

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Climategate 2.0: Santer angry over not being able to silence skeptics | JunkScience.com

Imagine that to debunk a study, you need the author’s approval.

From the Climategate 2.0 collection (#5321), Ben Santer complains to Phil Jones that he and Tom Wigley didn’t get the chance to spike a skeptics’ paper critical of Santer/Wigley that was published in Climate Research — like they did a year earlier when the skeptics tried to get it published in the Journal of Geophysical Research:

Dear Phil,

In June 2003, Climate Research published a paper by David Douglass et al. The “et al.” includes John Christy and Pat Michaels. Douglass et al. attempt to debunk the paper that Tom and I published in JGR in 2001 (“Accounting for the effects of volcanoes and ENSO in comparisons of modeled and observed temperature trends”; JGR 106, 28033-28059). The Douglass et al. paper claims (and purports to show) that collinearity between ENSO, volcanic, and solar predictor variables is not a serious problem in studies attempting to estimate the effects of these
factors on MSU tropospheric temperatures. Their work has serious scientific flaws – it confuses forcing and response, and ignores strong temporal autcorrelation in the individual predictor variables, incorrectly assuming independence of individual monthly means in the MSU 2LT data. In the Douglass et al. view of the world, uncertainties in predictor variables, observations, etc. are non-existent. The error bars on their estimated ENSO, volcano, and solar regression coefficients are miniscule.

Over a year ago, Tom and I reviewed (for JGR) a paper by Douglass et al. that was virtually identical to the version that has now appeared in Climate Research. We rejected it. Prior to this, both Tom and I had engaged in a long and frustrating dialogue with Douglass, in which we attempted to explain to him that there are large uncertainties in the deconvolution of ENSO, volcano, and solar signals in short MSU records. Douglass chose to ignore all of the comments we made in this exchange, as he later ignored all of the comments we made in our reviews of his rejected JGR paper.

Although the Douglass et al. Climate Research paper is largely a criticism of our previously-published JGR paper, neither Tom nor I were asked to review the paper for Climate Research. Nor were any other coauthors of the Santer et al. JGR paper asked to review the Douglass et al. manuscript. I’m assuming that Douglass specifically requested that neither Tom nor I should be allowed to act as reviwers of his Climate Research paper. It would be interesting to see his cover letter to the journal.

In the editorial that you forwarded, Dr. Kinne writes the following:

“If someone wishes to criticise a published papers/he must present facts and arguments and give criticised parties a chance to defend their position.” The irony here is that in our own experience, the “criticised parties” (i.e., Tom and I) were NOT allowed to defend their positions.

Based on Kinne’s editorial, I see little hope for more enlightened editorial decision making at Climate Research. Tom, Richard Smith and I will eventually publish a rebuttal to the Douglass et al. paper. We’ll publish this rebuttal in JGR – not in Climate Research.

With best regards,

Ben

I dont think he wanted to be asked first, just a chance to respond.
No matter, the scientist is a total whore scumbag who deserves to be washing test tubes somewhere.

No matter, the scientist is a total whore scumbag who deserves to be washing test tubes somewhere.

There is a ton of really juicy incriminating evidence like this over at Junkscience.com

The global warming scam is over. Climategate II is the final nail in the coffin.

There is a ton of really juicy incriminating evidence like this over at Junkscience.com

The global warming scam is over. Climategate II is the final nail in the coffin.

It wont matter. There will still be people claiming it's real. Hellm, there are people who will swear that mercury in vaccines causes autism.

I'm loving every minute of this. I am in Dr.Tim Ball's back yard. I've been a skeptic from day one just because I garden. I know we have not been getting warmer and then when they changed all our zones back in I think it was 2003 when I really started to pay attention to this global warming bullshit, I realized they were fudging the data.

Who ever is releasing this data needs to be cheered on. Bless his/her souls.

Kudos!!

It wont matter. There will still be people claiming it's real. Hellm, there are people who will swear that mercury in vaccines causes autism.

Perhaps, but they will be relegated to a fringe. The vast majority of people will only smirk whenever some warmist nutburger starts spewing the true religion.

Here we go again. Another round of denial from a bunch of willfully ignorant knownothing assholes. Sorry boys, the entire scientific community of the whole world is stating that AGW is real and already having serious consequences.

Virtually every single Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University in the world states that AGW is real. Sure, you point to a few scientists that state otherwise. And you can find the same number that believe in the Creationist version of the beginning. More than likely the same people.

Here we go again. Another round of denial from a bunch of willfully ignorant knownothing assholes. Sorry boys, the entire scientific community of the whole world is stating that AGW is real and already having serious consequences.

Virtually every single Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University in the world states that AGW is real. Sure, you point to a few scientists that state otherwise. And you can find the same number that believe in the Creationist version of the beginning. More than likely the same people.

"The entire scientific community of the world"? Really?
Obviously that's a lie, otherwise there would be no dissent. But even if that were the case and there was one guy who said otherwise, the one guy could still be right. Because science is not democracy. It relies on scientific method and the global warming jihadis don't practice that.

AGU Position Statement: Human Impacts on Climate

AGU Position Statement
Human Impacts on Climate
Adopted by Council December 2003
Revised and Reaffirmed December 2007

The Earth's climate is now clearly out of balance and is warming. Many components of the climate system—including the temperatures of the atmosphere, land and ocean, the extent of sea ice and mountain glaciers, the sea level, the distribution of precipitation, and the length of seasons—are now changing at rates and in patterns that are not natural and are best explained by the increased atmospheric abundances of greenhouse gases and aerosols generated by human activity during the 20th century. Global average surface temperatures increased on average by about 0.6°C over the period 1956–2006. As of 2006, eleven of the previous twelve years were warmer than any others since 1850. The observed rapid retreat of Arctic sea ice is expected to continue and lead to the disappearance of summertime ice within this century. Evidence from most oceans and all continents except Antarctica shows warming attributable to human activities. Recent changes in many physical and biological systems are linked with this regional climate change. A sustained research effort, involving many AGU members and summarized in the 2007 assessments of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, continues to improve our scientific understanding of the climate.

During recent millennia of relatively stable climate, civilization became established and populations have grown rapidly. In the next 50 years, even the lower limit of impending climate change—an additional global mean warming of 1°C above the last decade—is far beyond the range of climate variability experienced during the past thousand years and poses global problems in planning for and adapting to it. Warming greater than 2°C above 19th century levels is projected to be disruptive, reducing global agricultural productivity, causing widespread loss of biodiversity, and—if sustained over centuries—melting much of the Greenland ice sheet with ensuing rise in sea level of several meters. If this 2°C warming is to be avoided, then our net annual emissions of CO2 must be reduced by more than 50 percent within this century. With such projections, there are many sources of scientific uncertainty, but none are known that could make the impact of climate change inconsequential. Given the uncertainty in climate projections, there can be surprises that may cause more dramatic disruptions than anticipated from the most probable model projections.

With climate change, as with ozone depletion, the human footprint on Earth is apparent. The cause of disruptive climate change, unlike ozone depletion, is tied to energy use and runs through modern society. Solutions will necessarily involve all aspects of society. Mitigation strategies and adaptation responses will call for collaborations across science, technology, industry, and government. Members of the AGU, as part of the scientific community, collectively have special responsibilities: to pursue research needed to understand it; to educate the public on the causes, risks, and hazards; and to communicate clearly and objectively with those who can implement policies to shape future climate.

Did anyone know that Earth day was founded on the 100TH Birthday of the communism leader Lenin? I don't believe this to be a coincidence.

Apparently Green is the new Red.

Ecology%20Flag%20-%20wht%20bkgd.jpg

Is there a scientific consensus on global warming?

In the scientific field of climate studies – which is informed by many different disciplines – the consensus is demonstrated by the number of scientists who have stopped arguing about what is causing climate change – and that’s nearly all of them. A survey of all peer-reviewed abstracts on the subject 'global climate change' published between 1993 and 2003 shows that not a single paper rejected the consensus position that global warming is man caused. 75% of the papers agreed with the consensus position while 25% made no comment either way, focusing on methods or paleoclimate analysis (Oreskes 2004).

Several subsequent studies confirm that “...the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific basis of long-term climate processes”. (Doran 2009). In other words, more than 95% of scientists working in the disciplines contributing to studies of our climate, accept that climate change is almost certainly being caused by human activities.

We should also consider official scientific bodies and what they think about climate change. There are no national or major scientific institutions anywhere in the world that dispute the theory of anthropogenic climate change. Not one.

Is there a scientific consensus on global warming?

In the scientific field of climate studies – which is informed by many different disciplines – the consensus is demonstrated by the number of scientists who have stopped arguing about what is causing climate change – and that’s nearly all of them. A survey of all peer-reviewed abstracts on the subject 'global climate change' published between 1993 and 2003 shows that not a single paper rejected the consensus position that global warming is man caused. 75% of the papers agreed with the consensus position while 25% made no comment either way, focusing on methods or paleoclimate analysis (Oreskes 2004).

Several subsequent studies confirm that “...the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific basis of long-term climate processes”. (Doran 2009). In other words, more than 95% of scientists working in the disciplines contributing to studies of our climate, accept that climate change is almost certainly being caused by human activities.

We should also consider official scientific bodies and what they think about climate change. There are no national or major scientific institutions anywhere in the world that dispute the theory of anthropogenic climate change. Not one.

Still, one junior high school teacher who teaches science and softball may be right and all of the other scientists in the world may be wrong.

If I sound like a 9/11 Twoofer, lets get something straight. I don't. I do sound like Rick Perry though. And to think some dumbfucks are considering voting for that guy...

Come on, you ignorant asshole, find me one scientific society, one major university, or one national academy of science that states that AGW is a hoax. Or even incorrect.

You cannot do that, because such does not exist, even in outer Slobovia.

Jerk off, the whole thing was made up, teh evidence doctored. Have you been in a cave?

Really, Rabid? Care to post some articles from peer reviewed scientific journals that demonstrate that? Of course you do not. Because there are none. And you are just an empty headed ass that repeats the 'talking points' without ever doing the slightest research. Lazy and stupid describes people like you.

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

I may be off base, but seems to me the story is that the scientists that were global warmists were under enormous pressure, for both science and payroll, to publish 'proof.' It wasn't there, at least not yet. So they went with models that would look acceptable, afterall, that's what was wanted.

They're burned now.

That doesn't mean that pollutants aren't causing change, but the ability to prove it has now been ramped up.

Forum List

Back