Climate change is such a big deal...

Bigfoot -

Wow. You look REALLY smart right now!! :lol::lol::lol:

Let's look at sea ice first....

antarctic_sea_ice_2008_12-20-thumb-400x320.png

He's not the one making a complete ass of themselves in a public place.. You're gonna hurt yourself posting graphs you don't understand.

Climate change is measured over DECADES. How long is your graph? What SEASON is that in Antartica? WHAT is the DEVIATION from AVERAGE for the latest year data? Does it show a GREATER LOSS for that latest year?

What is it in that graph that you THINK indicates Global Warming at the South Pole?

Do you even REALIZE that your graph shows an INCREASE for seasonal sea ice in antarctica for 2007 thru 2009?I can't do this anymore.. It may be entertaining "to watch the warmers struggle to read and comprehend a graph" factor.. But it's not personally advantageous for me anymore in terms of learning or having a viable tech exchange.

Last edited:
Bigfoot -

Wow. You look REALLY smart right now!! :lol::lol::lol:

Let's look at sea ice first....

antarctic_sea_ice_2008_12-20-thumb-400x320.png

He's not the one making a complete ass of themselves in a public place.. You're gonna hurt yourself posting graphs you don't understand.

Climate change is measured over DECADES. How long is your graph? What SEASON is that in Antartica? WHAT is the DEVIATION from AVERAGE for the latest year data? Does it show a GREATER LOSS for that latest year?

What is it in that graph that you THINK indicates Global Warming at the South Pole?

Do you even REALIZE that your graph shows an INCREASE for seasonal sea ice in antarctica for 2007 thru 2009?I can't do this anymore.. It may be entertaining "to watch the warmers struggle to read and comprehend a graph" factor.. But it's not personally advantageous for me anymore in terms of learning or having a viable tech exchange.

As this graph shows, the increase in the high point of the Antarctic sea ice is about 0.5 million square kilometers over the last 30 years. The low point has remained almost exactly the same.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.antarctic.png

However, as one can see in this graph, the loss of sea ice from the continental ice pack has been very significant.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Antarctica_Ice_Mass.gif

Flac -

Yes, the graph represents only short-term change, because the OP is talking about short-term change.

Sorry if this was confusing - I do agree that long term change is far more signiicant.

Flac -

Yes, the graph represents only short-term change, because the OP is talking about short-term change.

Sorry if this was confusing - I do agree that long term change is far more signiicant.

Do you realize that your graph shows AN INCREASE in seasonal Anarctic Sea Ice for the most recent years? And what was your thinking for posting something CONTRARY to your assertion?

Or wasn't there any thinking??

Bigfoot, why do you keep clinging to that big steaming load of crap about east Antarctica gaining ice? You've been pointed to the correct info, and you keep running from it. Like most denialists, when pushed into a corner by facts, you turn up the lies and cry a lot.

Back in the real world, gravity measurements show both East and West Antarctica losing ice. You can tell genuine skeptics from the lying pseudo skeptics by how they process contrary information. If they go hysterical and declare it can't be true because it contradicts their political cult's dogma, you know you're looking at a pretend skeptic, a political cultist, a denialist. Like Bigfoot.

Do you realize that your graph shows AN INCREASE in seasonal Anarctic Sea Ice for the most recent years? And what was your thinking for posting something CONTRARY to your assertion?

It isn't contrary to my assertion - but that does not mean you would necesarily be able to understand it.

Give it some thought, and if you still don't get it, come back and ask.

Bigfoot, why do you keep clinging to that big steaming load of crap about east Antarctica gaining ice? You've been pointed to the correct info, and you keep running from it. Like most denialists, when pushed into a corner by facts, you turn up the lies and cry a lot.

Back in the real world, gravity measurements show both East and West Antarctica losing ice. You can tell genuine skeptics from the lying pseudo skeptics by how they process contrary information. If they go hysterical and declare it can't be true because it contradicts their political cult's dogma, you know you're looking at a pretend skeptic, a political cultist, a denialist. Like Bigfoot.

That is such a good question, and really defines this thread.

The other thing I notice is that other sceptics, such as Flac, know that Bigfoot is wrong, but won't correct him out of some kind of twisted loyalty.

The other thing I notice is that other sceptics, such as Flac, know that Bigfoot is wrong, but won't correct him out of some kind of twisted loyalty.

Stop pretending you manage me. I don't DO ICE.. It's silly. It's melting because it's hot. That's why I don't care...

It's melting because it's hot. That's why I don't care...

Right - it is melting because it is hot.

And if you did care, you would probably also be wondering what it might mean that a sheet of ice capable of raising global sea levels by 60 metres was melting.

Given we know that the polar cap are melting - wouldn't it be sensible to find out how fast they are melting, and consider what impact that might have on the neighbourhood you live in?

Because it is a known fact that the eastern antarctic ice sheet is growing larger and colder and that it has been for many years. Man made global waring is turning into a joke and it would be amusing if it wasn't so expensive.

LOL, outside of a few internet clowns such as you two, none give a damn about it. Do you know why? Because it is no big deal. It's just another the sky is falling routine.

Bigfoot -

I think you forgot to acknowledge that your "facts" about thi issure were wrong.

If it is no big deal that the Western Antarctic is melting faster than the East is growing - it shouldn't be difficult for you to admit it.

Bigfoot -

I think you forgot to acknowledge that your "facts" about thi issure were wrong.

If it is no big deal that the Western Antarctic is melting faster than the East is growing - it shouldn't be difficult for you to admit it.

LOL, the facts are that the eastern antarctic is huge when compared to the western antarctic. And despite all of your posturing I haven't been discussing the western antarctic, you have as some kind of nonsensical defense mechanism. It's rather entertaining watching you try to dodge. ~shrug~ And to be honest I could care less about any of it, man-made global warming if it even exists isn't a problem except for a few of you internet blowhards. The planet warms and the planet cools, ask "what does the sun have to do with all of this?" The earth remains.

In other words, Bigfool, you are an ignorant blowhard, and prefer to stay that way. If you were serious about the reality of AGW, you would use that wonderful tool that you are typing your nonsense on to do some serious research.

the facts are that the eastern antarctic is huge when compared to the western antarctic. And despite all of your posturing I haven't been discussing the western antarctic,

Of course you haven't been discussing the western antarctic, because you want to cherry pick data.

The fact is - Antarctica as a whole is losing ice.

That is what I would like you to admit.

If that does not concern you - that is entirely up to you.

the facts are that the eastern antarctic is huge when compared to the western antarctic. And despite all of your posturing I haven't been discussing the western antarctic,

Of course you haven't been discussing the western antarctic, because you want to cherry pick data.

The fact is - Antarctica as a whole is losing ice.

That is what I would like you to admit.

If that does not concern you - that is entirely up to you.

LOL. No, that's not it at all. I started this thread discussing the eastern antarctic, that's it. Have you purchased your Chevy Volt yet?

..and the HUGE eastern antarctic ice pack just keeps getting bigger and growing colder, just as it has for many years.

Ouch.....now that IS embarassing!

Did you not think of maybe checking the facts before posting?

I expect you will come back and admit that you were wrong about this.

Three key points:

1) According to a 2009 study, the continent-wide average surface temperature trend of Antarctica is positive and significant at >0.05°C/decade since 1957. West Antarctica has warmed by more than 0.1°C/decade in the last 50 years, and this warming is strongest in winter and spring. Although this is partly offset by fall cooling in East Antarctica, this effect is restricted to the 1980s and 1990s.

2) Antarctic sea ice anomalies have roughly followed the pattern of warming, with the greatest declines occurring off the coast of West Antarctica. East Antarctica sea ice has been increasing since 1978, though not at a statistically significant rate.

3) The general trend shows that a warming climate in the southern hemisphere would transport more moisture to Antarctica, causing the interior ice sheets to grow, while calving events along the coast will increase, causing these areas to shrink. A 2006 paper derived from satellite data, measures changes in the gravity of the ice mass, suggests that the total amount of ice in Antarctica has begun decreasing in the past few years.

Antarctic ice sheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East Antarctica sea ice has been increasing....

LOL

Do you read what you post?

Do you know what "increasing" mean?

Forum List

Back