Climate change hits Mars.

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
I wonder how the martians are going to tackle this problem.:lol::lol:

Climate change hits Mars - Times Online

From The Sunday Times April 29, 2007

Climate change hits Mars
Recommend? (22)
Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.

Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.

Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

Last edited:

Climate change hits Mars
Recommend? (22)
Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.

Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.

Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

I wonder what Al Gore has to say about this, maybe if we can find him while he is flying around the world on his private jet, we could ask him. :lol::lol:

Maybe we should send Al Gore to Mars to have him help the Martians with their global warming problem.LOLOLOLOLOLO

Climate change hits Mars
Recommend? (22)

The reason for this is simple. There is more CO2 in the "air" of Mars than there is in the air of Earth. Obviously, the Greenhouse Effects of CO2 are working even on Mars. At least it is working when the CO2 has not frozen into dry ice.

Mars' Atmosphere

The next couple of paragraphs in the story

The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet’s temperature.

Fenton’s team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasa’s Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.

When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet’s temperature.

Fenton’s team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasa’s Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.

When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

What about the CO2? Don't they talk about the CO2 at all? There's about twice as much per cubic foot than on Earth. The chemical properties of CO2 must change depending on location.

I vacationed in Honolulu one year from Minneapolis. It was January. The CO2 in Hawaii was working allot harder out there than it was in Minneapolis. That Minneapolis CO2 is worthless in the winter. The Hawaiin CO2 works great year round.

What about the CO2? Don't they talk about the CO2 at all? There's about twice as much per cubic foot than on Earth. The chemical properties of CO2 must change depending on location.

I vacationed in Honolulu one year from Minneapolis. It was January. The CO2 in Hawaii was working allot harder out there than it was in Minneapolis. That Minneapolis CO2 is worthless in the winter. The Hawaiin CO2 works great year round.

Lordy, lordy. A perfect example of good Conservative reasoning:lol::doubt:

Climate change hits Mars
Recommend? (22)

The reason for this is simple. There is more CO2 in the "air" of Mars than there is in the air of Earth. Obviously, the Greenhouse Effects of CO2 are working even on Mars. At least it is working when the CO2 has not frozen into dry ice.

Mars' Atmosphere

yes....that deadly evil CO2.

They pick the one gas that everything gives off when it burns.

I think it has more to do with the SUN then CO2 levels....which haven't changed on Mars.

quaid-start-the-reactor-free-mars-85303.jpg

Start the reactor...free Mars...

Why are facts so darn mean to Libruls?

Lordy, lordy. A perfect example of good Conservative reasoning:lol::doubt:

I notice you didn't answer. Call Phil Jones and ask him to make something up

"Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena."

This is unlike Earth where we know that Climate Changes are caused by the Glacier Eating CO2 Spaghetti Monster

But but But...I THOUGHT you all on the right said that our Earth was COOLING....and you all keep patting yourselves on the back, agreeing with eachother and Code and others that our earth is cooling....

And now you accept that our earth is warming? Just like Mars is warming?

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS my friends! Is the Earth cooling or is it warming? :D

But but But...I THOUGHT you all on the right said that our Earth was COOLING....and you all keep patting yourselves on the back, agreeing with eachother and Code and others that our earth is cooling....

And now you accept that our earth is warming? Just like Mars is warming?

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS my friends! Is the Earth cooling or is it warming? :D

LOL thanks for that.

Well, I think the Earth is warming....I am not a Scientist and do not know what is causing it, even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night????

Have you ever noticed that the air you breathe out is warmer than the air you breathe in?

So...

Hot Air is to blame for the demise of our ice-caps? :eusa_think:

Does Rush, Al, Glen, The Entire US Senate and Dick Cheny know about this?

Not to mention Barack Obama....one of the biggest passers of hot gas of anyone.

Forum List

Back