Climate change caused by ocean, not just atmosphere

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
141025152717-large.jpg

Date: October 25, 2014

Source: Rutgers University

I'm no scientists but this seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why have we centered on atmospheric change and not this? Is it because Man can be accused of polluting the atmosphere and not the oceans? Just asking.

Summary:

Most of the concerns about climate change have focused on the amount of greenhouse gases that have been released into the atmosphere. A new study reveals another equally important factor in regulating the earth's climate.

Read the full piece @ Climate change caused by ocean not just atmosphere -- ScienceDaily

Of course it is....if the models were capable of modeling the energy transfer driven by the world's oceans, they would not only be able to accurately reflect observation, but the climate sensitivity to CO2 would be reduced to zero where it belongs. Anyone who believes that the atmosphere heats the ocean is a f'ing idiot.

Just for fun, why don't you explain to us why you think the atmosphere doesn't affect the temperature of the oceans.

141025152717-large.jpg

I'm no scientists but this seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why have we centered on atmospheric change and not this? Is it because Man can be accused of polluting the atmosphere and not the oceans? Just asking.

Summary:

Most of the concerns about climate change have focused on the amount of greenhouse gases that have been released into the atmosphere. A new study reveals another equally important factor in regulating the earth's climate.

Read the full piece @ Climate change caused by ocean not just atmosphere -- ScienceDaily

Do you not see the connection between these hypotheses and the idea that changes in wind patterns have recently altered ocean circulation and swapped warmed surface waters with colder water from the depths?

longknife said:
I'm no scientists but this seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why have we centered on atmospheric change and not this?

But we do look at ocean circulation, in gruesome depth and detail. Always have.

Is it because Man can be accused of polluting the atmosphere and not the oceans? Just asking.

The answer is your denier pals lied to you, again, by telling you we don't look at the oceans.

Your choice now. You can repudiate those who lied to you, or go running back to them and beg to be lied to again.

141025152717-large.jpg

Summary:

I pursued this paper today.

Their flow pattern shown in the graphic is wrong showing their attention to details is lacking. They address several key points but always go back to CO2 when there is no real link.

Their premise of reduced circulation at the southern pole will indeed start a glacial cycle. They do however, miss some very basic points on the ENSO and other circulations.

longknife said:
I'm no scientists but this seems to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why have we centered on atmospheric change and not this?

But we do look at ocean circulation, in gruesome depth and detail. Always have.

Is it because Man can be accused of polluting the atmosphere and not the oceans? Just asking.

The answer is your denier pals lied to you, again, by telling you we don't look at the oceans.

Your choice now. You can repudiate those who lied to you, or go running back to them and beg to be lied to again.
more crap from some one who is totally clueless..

PEER-REVIEWED
RESEARCH ARTICLE
Biotic and Human Vulnerability to Projected Changes in Ocean Biogeochemistry over the 21st Century
  • Camilo Mora mail,

• Chih-Lin Wei,

• Audrey Rollo,

• Teresa Amaro,

• Amy R. Baco,

• David Billett,

• Laurent Bopp,

• Qi Chen,

• Mark Collier,

• Roberto Danovaro,

• Andrew J. Gooday,

• Benjamin M. Grupe,

• Paul R. Halloran,

• [ ... ],
  • Moriaki Yasuhara

Ongoing greenhouse gas emissions can modify climate processes and induce shifts in ocean temperature, pH, oxygen concentration, and productivity, which in turn could alter biological and social systems. Here, we provide a synoptic global assessment of the simultaneous changes in future ocean biogeochemical variables over marine biota and their broader implications for people. We analyzed modern Earth System Models forced by greenhouse gas concentration pathways until 2100 and showed that the entire world's ocean surface will be simultaneously impacted by varying intensities of ocean warming, acidification, oxygen depletion, or shortfalls in productivity. In contrast, only a small fraction of the world's ocean surface, mostly in polar regions, will experience increased oxygenation and productivity, while almost nowhere will there be ocean cooling or pH elevation. We compiled the global distribution of 32 marine habitats and biodiversity hotspots and found that they would all experience simultaneous exposure to changes in multiple biogeochemical variables. This superposition highlights the high risk for synergistic ecosystem responses, the suite of physiological adaptations needed to cope with future climate change, and the potential for reorganization of global biodiversity patterns. If co-occurring biogeochemical changes influence the delivery of ocean goods and services, then they could also have a considerable effect on human welfare. Approximately 470 to 870 million of the poorest people in the world rely heavily on the ocean for food, jobs, and revenues and live in countries that will be most affected by simultaneous changes in ocean biogeochemistry. These results highlight the high risk of degradation of marine ecosystems and associated human hardship expected in a future following current trends in anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

Real research by real scientists.

Google Scholar Citations

Imminent ocean acidification in the Arctic projected with the NCAR global coupled carbon cycle-climate model
Authors
M Steinacher, Fortunat Joos, TL Frolicher, Gian-Kasper Plattner, Scott C Doney
Publication date
2009/4/6
Publisher
Copernicus Publications on behalf of the European Geosciences Union
Description
Ocean acidification from the uptake of anthropogenic carbon is simulated for the industrial
period and IPCC SRES emission scenarios A2 and B1 with a global coupled carbon cycle-
climate model. Earlier studies identified seawater saturation state with respect to aragonite,
a mineral phase of calcium carbonate, as a key variable governing impacts on corals and
other shell-forming organisms. Globally in the A2 scenario, water saturated by more than
300%, considered suitable for coral growth, vanishes by 2070 AD (CO2≈ 630 ppm), and ...

More of what real scientists are finding.

Impact of global warming and rising CO2levels on coral reef fishes: what hope for the future?
  1. Philip L. Munday1,*,
  2. Mark I. McCormick1 and
  3. Göran E. Nilsson2

Average sea-surface temperature and the amount of CO2 dissolved in the ocean are rising as a result of increasing concentrations of atmospheric CO2. Many coral reef fishes appear to be living close to their thermal optimum, and for some of them, even relatively moderate increases in temperature (2–4°C) lead to significant reductions in aerobic scope. Reduced aerobic capacity could affect population sustainability because less energy can be devoted to feeding and reproduction. Coral reef fishes seem to have limited capacity to acclimate to elevated temperature as adults, but recent research shows that developmental and transgenerational plasticity occur, which might enable some species to adjust to rising ocean temperatures. Predicted increases inPCO2, and associated ocean acidification, can also influence the aerobic scope of coral reef fishes, although there is considerable interspecific variation, with some species exhibiting a decline and others an increase in aerobic scope at near-future CO2 levels. As with thermal effects, there are transgenerational changes in response to elevated CO2 that could mitigate impacts of high CO2on the growth and survival of reef fishes. An unexpected discovery is that elevated CO2 has a dramatic effect on a wide range of behaviours and sensory responses of reef fishes, with consequences for the timing of settlement, habitat selection, predator avoidance and individual fitness. The underlying physiological mechanism appears to be the interference of acid–base regulatory processes with brain neurotransmitter function. Differences in the sensitivity of species and populations to global warming and rising CO2 have been identified that will lead to changes in fish community structure as the oceans warm and becomes more acidic; however, the prospect for acclimation and adaptation of populations to these threats also needs to be considered. Ultimately, it will be the capacity for species to adjust to environmental change over coming decades that will determine the impact of climate change on marine ecosystems.

Now I could go on for hundreds of articles of scientists warning us about what the effects of inceasing the atmospheric CO2 is doing to the oceans, but it would not change your minds at all. You are simply going on politics, and science be damned. Sad, especially when otherwise intelligent men can totally ignore reality in favor of what they wish to be true.

PEER-REVIEWED
RESEARCH ARTICLE
Biotic and Human Vulnerability to Projected Changes in Ocean Biogeochemistry over the 21st Century
  • Camilo Mora mail,

• Chih-Lin Wei,

• Audrey Rollo,

• Teresa Amaro,

• Amy R. Baco,

• David Billett,

• Laurent Bopp,

• Qi Chen,

• Mark Collier,

• Roberto Danovaro,

• Andrew J. Gooday,

• Benjamin M. Grupe,

• Paul R. Halloran,

• [ ... ],
  • Moriaki Yasuhara

Ongoing greenhouse gas emissions can modify climate processes and induce shifts in ocean temperature, pH, oxygen concentration, and productivity, which in turn could alter biological and social systems. Here, we provide a synoptic global assessment of the simultaneous changes in future ocean biogeochemical variables over marine biota and their broader implications for people. We analyzed modern Earth System Models forced by greenhouse gas concentration pathways until 2100 and showed that the entire world's ocean surface will be simultaneously impacted by varying intensities of ocean warming, acidification, oxygen depletion, or shortfalls in productivity. In contrast, only a small fraction of the world's ocean surface, mostly in polar regions, will experience increased oxygenation and productivity, while almost nowhere will there be ocean cooling or pH elevation. We compiled the global distribution of 32 marine habitats and biodiversity hotspots and found that they would all experience simultaneous exposure to changes in multiple biogeochemical variables. This superposition highlights the high risk for synergistic ecosystem responses, the suite of physiological adaptations needed to cope with future climate change, and the potential for reorganization of global biodiversity patterns. If co-occurring biogeochemical changes influence the delivery of ocean goods and services, then they could also have a considerable effect on human welfare. Approximately 470 to 870 million of the poorest people in the world rely heavily on the ocean for food, jobs, and revenues and live in countries that will be most affected by simultaneous changes in ocean biogeochemistry. These results highlight the high risk of degradation of marine ecosystems and associated human hardship expected in a future following current trends in anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

Real research by real scientists.

No that is one huge pile of steaming shit! One Only has to get to the third line of their paper stating they "modeled using the IPCC standards" which means they used inflated CO2 predictions.. Like I said one huge steaming pile of dung!

And their answer.... GIVE US YOUR MONEY AND FREEDOM AND WE WILL SAVE YOU... TOTAL BULL SHIT!

Just for fun, why don't you explain to us why you think the atmosphere doesn't affect the temperature of the oceans.

Answer your own question...what is the heat capacity of the atmosphere?....what is the heat capacity of the ocean...now, which drives which?

Answer your own question...what is the heat capacity of the atmosphere?....what is the heat capacity of the ocean...now, which drives which?

I knew your simplistic fantasy, that energy can only travel in a single direction, would appear. And now it seems that it's not controlled by which side is hotter, but by which side is BIGGER.

God are you STUPID!

141025152717-large.jpg

Summary:

Do you not see the connection between these hypotheses and the idea that changes in wind patterns have recently altered ocean circulation and swapped warmed surface waters with colder water from the depths?
I thought you stated the deeper water was warming? Now you're saying it is cold? So I see you do want it both ways.

God, you are stupid.

I know we keep saying that, but it keeps being the appropriate thing to say.

Here, jc tells us something "cold" can't get even a bit warmer without becoming "warm". Wow, he's stupid.

There is one thing I noticed about this - the Pacific circulation seems to have absolutely nothing to do with currents that exist.

I knew your simplistic fantasy, that energy can only travel in a single direction, would appear. And now it seems that it's not controlled by which side is hotter, but by which side is BIGGER.

God are you STUPID!

And yet, you believe that the atmosphere can warm the oceans. You see my stupid and raise with magical thinking.

the part I laugh about is how the warmers think the energy lurking in the oceans is going to pop out and scald us all to death! now that would be a real violation of the 2nd law.

Forum List

Back